How long is Hadrians wall?

Mar 29th, 2000, 03:09 AM
Janet

How long is Hadrians wall?

Coming to England soon and wanted to go a visit Hadrains wall. Is it worth visiting? Is it as long at the famous wall the have in China or the infamous one in Berlin?

Mar 29th, 2000, 05:04 AM
Sheila

Try

www.hadrians-wall.org

Mar 29th, 2000, 10:03 PM
Mary

Janet, I'm not sure how long Hadrian's Wall is, but it is definitely worth seeing. I went there in the early 80s, in September. I stayed in Hexham, a quaint village not far from Housesteads, which is a good starting place for seeing the Wall (or at least part of it). At the time, there were no tourists at all at Housesteads. The place was lonely, and the Northumbrian land looked windswept under darkened skies. I got the sense of how a Roman soldier stationed at this outpost of the Roman Empire might have felt, being at the "edge of civilization" (at least to the Roman). Also, it's worth visiting the town of Wall, where some houses are built from pieces of the wall, and don't miss the ruins of the Mithraeum near Housesteads. The Mithraeum is small but thought-provoking. Hexham itself was nice too. There's probably a lot more tourists at the Wall now, no matter when you go; but I'd return there in a minute if I were going to England. Hope this has helped.

Mar 31st, 2000, 05:10 AM
Janet

Thank you for your replies.
It seems that Hadrian's wall isn't that long (30 odd miles) but I have also been told that there were two walls built by
hadrian in scotland!!!is this true???
BTW was it the same Romans who build the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem?? and for the same reasons??
When was the wall of china built (which i am told is 1500 miles long,)? Was it those same communists who built the one
in Berlin (Germany)?

Mar 31st, 2000, 08:17 AM
David White

The wall is (or was) about 73 miles long.

Parts of the wall are visible, parts are simply an earth-covered ridge and, sadly, parts have disappeared. The excavated Roman forts along the wall make for some of the most interesting sites to visit.

As someone else mentioned, see www.hadrians-wall.org for a complete description.

The wall is worth your time to visit if you are in the Lake District or Yorkshire Dales regions of northern England or the Borders area of southern Scotland.

Enjoy your trip!

David White
www.KidsToLondon.com

Mar 31st, 2000, 09:12 AM
ilisa

To answer your question about Jerusalem, the Wailing Wall (more correctly known as the Western Wall) is all that remains of the temple that was destroyed in the year 70 C.E. It is not a wall built by the Romans for the defense of the city. Oh, and the Great Wall of China is a tad bit older than the Berlin Wall.

Mar 31st, 2000, 12:54 PM
Sheila

Hadrian is not reposnisble for a Scottish wall as far as we know. We have one built about 20 years later by Antonine which stretched between the Clyde and the Forth. little bits of it are still visible but it is fair to say that it isnot as spectacular as its English Big Brother.

We have Roman remains as far north as Inverness. We'd love to show them to you.

Apr 2nd, 2000, 08:53 AM
steve

Visit Housesteads fort. If you want to do a walk along the wall, go west from Housesteads. It is about a six mile round trip if you go to where there is a large tree in the middle of the wall.