Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

how long is ferry ride from bellagio to varenna?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I'm taking the 10:19 train out of Varenna, should I take the 9:20 ferry or the 8:50? Thanks!
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:16 AM

I assume you realize that it is all uphill from the ferry dock in Varenna to the train station.

I would not count on having any taxis waiting at the ferry dock although the folks over in the ticket booth will call one for you if you ask them to (as will your hotel in Bellagio).

Otherwise I would guestimate that it is at least a 10-minute walk up the hill to the station; for some more and some less depending on fitness level and presence/absence of luggage.

To be absolutely safe I would take the 8:50.
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:23 AM
rex

To answer your question directly, it is less than 10 minutes, it seems to me. I only went over there briefly for a little picnic lunch once - - but this clears up a mystery for me. I kinda wondered where there could be a train station. Now I realize that it must be up on that hill behind Varenna - - is that right?

And just to be nosy... is this 10:19 am? or pm? Doens't seem like there would be departures in the late evening from such a "little" destination - - but it may be that trains from there are coming from some other place further north? or from Milan headed north.

The geography of Lake Como is quite amazing in that I feel like know the length of the "west leg" quite well, and yet have never really even seen the "east leg" at all, except at the "hip".

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Hi Rex,

It's the 10:19am train out of Varenna to Milan.

Thanks for the responses!
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:39 AM

We took the very same train out of Varenna not even 2 weeks ago. I think that if you know where you're going, and can get up the hill with your luggage without a struggle, 9:20 is fine, and you'll even have room to spare.

Old May 17th, 2005, 08:45 AM

hunnym- how was your trip? we are going to varenna in 3 weeks- debating staying more than 3 nights or after the 3 going to bellagiio or como- we want to hike, check out villas/gardens and not be rushed. we are also considering lake maggiore. please tell me where you stayed too- thanks!
Old May 17th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Off the ferry from Bellagio, pass the hotel on your right and up the street which curves around to the right (as it starts uphill). Stream will be to your right..follow it up the hill, cross the street..keep going..you'll see the train station on the hill above.

The station is UN-manned and sometimes the ticket machines are inoperable; sometimes the validating machine on the platform is also inoperable.

Train to Milan will approach from your left; only two tracks but the southbound train could arrive on either one.
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:16 AM

yogartlovers - Our trip was fantastic. I've written a trip report (not completely finished yet), but posted it only on the "Europe" board (not specifically Italy). If you're interested, search for "TRIP REPORT: Bellagio/Milan/Venice/Rome." I've rambled on a lot about our thoughts on the Lake Como area in this report.

We stayed at the Hotel Belvedere in Bellagio, and enjoyed it.

You must be getting excited about your trip!
Old May 17th, 2005, 12:57 PM
rex

<<posted it only on the "Europe" board (not specifically Italy).>>

Just a reminder, hunnym - - click on your own name - - and you or anyone else can find it, whether you posted it under "General" or Liechtenstein, or Idaho.
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:54 PM

To be safe I would take the 8:50 ferry. I believe it is about a 10 - 15 minute ride from Bellagio to Varenna. Then it is an uphill walk to the train station. Not too far...but UPHILL.

When we were there 2 weeks ago we also took the 10:19 train. None of the ticket machines at the station worked, nor did the machine that validates tickets.

If you don't have a ticket you have 2 choices: You can buy a ticket from the conductor on the train OR you will pass a travel agency on the way to the train station..."Tivano Tours". It is next to Albergo Beretta. It is hard to see the storefront because it is covered with vines and shrubbery. But you could buy a train ticket there if you want.
Old May 17th, 2005, 05:37 PM

Re Tivano Tours;

I have read here that this agent has overcharged for rail tickets. I can't remember the exact details but I think that in addition to charging a supplement they also insisted in selling the poster first class tickets when in fact there was no first class carriage on the train - something along those lines anyway.

We travelled from Varenna to Bergamo in early April and bought our ticket from the conductor on the train without any problems. You might also be interested to learn that on the initial journey to Varenna from Bergamo, although we had bought tickets, they were never checked at any time.

Jim
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:42 AM

Suntraveler, funny about the ticket machines not working for you. We did not have a problem...everything was up and running (on May 6).

However, Varenna is a pretty basic station - there's no person there you can ask for help. If you don't buy your ticket in advance somewhere else, have smaller change on hand (just to make it easier with the fairly basic ticket machine they have there).
Old May 18th, 2005, 03:16 AM

I'm beginning to think the original poster must have fallen off the ferry....
Old May 18th, 2005, 03:24 AM
rex

<<I'm beginning to think the original poster must have fallen off the ferry...>>

Yes, how mortifyingly, socially unacceptable! 18 hours since this post yesterday and no checking back in, and here it is, well past 7:20 in the morning!

Moreover, italybound1 has made only 21 posts in the pas 120 days! There are 24 hours in a day!!! What is italybound01 doing with all that time if not spending it here!?

Curious minds want to know!

[SDER] - - my daughter tells me this is the newest emoticon in blogosphere world...

(self-directed eye-roll)...