Reload this Page >

How long in the Roman forum

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 09:11 AM
time

This will be my first trip to rome, and I'm wondering how long to allow for my visit to the Roman Forum, the Palatine, the Colosseum, and the Imperial Market. I'm planning to get there after lunch on a Sunday, twoish. I was thinking that it would take about 4 hours. Too long, not enough time or right on?

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Wayne

Your question can be answered by "how much is enough?" My wife wanted to wander around in the Roman ruins for 2 days; I was full of all I could take after about a day. Less than half a day just doesn't do it justice; the better part of a day would be better.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Willie

Try contacting www.scalereale for their tour guide who will take you into the forum. Runs 3-4 hours tops. Ask for Gregory who ran ours in 200, and he was a hoot, and so informed. It was a fabulous tour. Tom Rankin did run this outfit, and they are just top rate.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Carol

I wholeheartedly aggree with Willie. Time spent on a Scala Reale tour is time well spent. Their tours are wonderful and so informative. They bring everything to life. We had Gregory on one of our tours and enjoyed every minute of it.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Jess

I'm the original poster. Thanks for the advice. I'm an archaeology major, so I think I'll probably just be toting my lighter textbooks with me. I am, however, bringing my boyfriend, who is decidedly less interested in looking a "ruined buildings." I have heard lots of great reviews of Scala Real, maybe I should look into it for his sake. <BR>I would love to wander around all day, but there are so many sites to visit, and it's already looking like I am going to have to cut some, mostly churches and maybe a musuem or two.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 10:39 AM
elaine

Another vote for Scala Reale's 4-hour tour of the Forum and Colosseum and Gregory as a tour guide. Depending on the group's interests (and it's always a small group) this tour may or may not include the Palatine. My group voted no last fall because at the time much of the Palatine, we were told, was roped off. We had no problem filling the time at the Forum and Colosseum and it was one of the best tour experiences of my life. The 4 hours flew by, and they know what they're doing and saying, even to allowing for bathroom breaks.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Willie

We used Scale Reale for airport transport, the catacombs and the walking tour though the old part, plus Forum. They were also very helpful poinitn out moderately priced restaurants, and we tried three, and all were great. They are easy to reach by phone once you arrive in Rome. Enjoy Rome!!

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Rachel

I hope Gregory is seeing this!! He was our tour guide as well and we loved it. He really makes the old stones come to life. My husband loved the story of the vestal virgins.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 04:18 PM
time

more ideas