Reload this Page >

How long in Santorini?

Search

How long in Santorini?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 06:01 AM
Rob Townsend

How long in Santorini?

Hi, <BR>I'm planning a honeymoon in July for a visit to Greece and Italy. The entire trip will be last about 3 weeks and are planning about half the time in Greece and the other half in Italy. <BR> <BR>We are planning to head straight to Santorini to relax and detox from the hectic wedding events. How long should we plan to spend on just Santorini? Would 5 days be too long on this one island? <BR> <BR>Also, are there any recommendations for other isles to visit after Santorini? <BR> <BR>Thanks for your suggestions, <BR>- Rob <BR>

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 07:51 AM
Susan

In my opinion, 5 days is definitely too long on Santorini. But I'm probably one of the few that isn't totally bowled away by it. It is visually beautiful and I'm glad we saw it, but we had 3 nights and that was a little too long. I like Naxos, which is a fairly quick hydrofoil trip from Santorini. I find the port town very interesting (old Venetian homes) and there are beautiful beaches. It's not as upscale, I guess, as Santorini, but not nearly so overrun by tourists.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Thyra

I second the above, 5 days is too long in Santorini. We were there for 2 days this past October and felt like we had plenty of time... however after a wedding you definately need more "Lay around and do nothing time" had we been on our honeymoon I would have stayed 3 days..if laying about on beaches is your thing then shift to another island, the beaches on Santorini are black and red sand and HOT!

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 09:51 AM
xxx

2 nights 3 days was perfect for Santorini. go to Paros and lay on the beaches there -- heavenly

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Diane

First time I stayed two nights, second time I stayed four nights, the next time I'll stay a week. It all depends on what you enjoy.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 02:51 PM
April

Three nights was too long for us too.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 03:04 PM
Monica

For our honeymoon(1998) we went to Santorini as our first Island and after having a big wedding and all the stresses that go along with it we were glad to stay the whole 5 days there. It was really slow and quiet but a nice break after such an event. We then went to Mykonos which is more lively....so if your going to Santorini then Italy you will need your energy...Stay at least 3 nights in santorini.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 06:09 PM
naomi

I too think 5 days in Santorini is too long. We went to the Greek isles last August and Santorini was our favorite...very charming. If I may suggest a hotel, the Santorini Image Hotel was great! Resort-like with an olympic size pool and the very Greek white buildings. And surprisingly economical...around $100 a night! Take a look online. Anyway, back to the isles...Mykonos is total party town at night but worth going to. A day trip to the isle of Delos is facinating if you're into the culture. Crete was OK, but you must visit Athens for a couple days if for nothing else, to see the Acropolis. I actually went to Italy on my honeymoon and if I had to compare to two, Italy hands down. I've traveled a lot and Greece is worth seeing but I wouldn't want to go back. On the other hand, I'd go to Italy every year if there weren't so many other places I'd still lik eto see. Hope that helps and have a GREAT vacation!

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 07:26 PM
Shelly

I think that five days in Santorini would be too long as well. Frankly, my husband and I found Santorini to be quite boring and wished that we had spent more time in Mykonos (and we are not people who just want to "party"). I agree with the others that this island would be a good place to relax after the hubbub of a wedding, but 3 nights would probably be plenty. I would recommend Mykonos after Santorini, and of course, Italy will be a great way to finish your trip...although you will be tired after all of that traveling. Have a great trip!

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 08:42 PM
richard

I must have gone to a different Santorini than the others----my fiancee took a 5 week trip to Europe---London, Paris, Venice, Florence, Siena, Rome, Athens, Santorini, Crete, London, home. What we talk about the most is Santorini---it was great. I read a review that said, "If Fred Flintstone had a lot of money, this is where he'd live." Stayed at the Chromata---if you go, rent a motorscooter, and get directions to the spot w/the 5 Fish Tavernas in a row---it's really cool. The best burger on the island is at "Mama's." I'd stay for a week, and be sad to leave!!!!! You're not going for museums, and art---you're going for sun & fun!!!!