Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How long does it take you to post your message?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Patrick

I have recently switched to DSL and it is great. I click on Fodors and it is there. I click on a thread and it immediately opens up. But when I hit "post my message" it takes exactly 42 seconds for it to take. This seems a lot longer than it used to before DSL, or does it just seem slower to me now that everything else is faster? How long does it take your message to post? Or is this some side effect of my change?

Old Dec 8th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Joanne

Testing!

Old Dec 8th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Joanne

3 seconds, with a cable modem connection.<BR><BR>I have found that thread with lots of replies can take a long time to open (whether after a reply or just for reading), and that Fodors is slower at busier times of day.<BR><BR>I suggest that you test the timing with replies to both long and short threads. If the 42 seconds applies only to long threads, then you can blame Fodors.

Old Dec 8th, 2001, 11:57 AM
Patrick

Nope. makes no difference. Sometimes I've been the very first poster, and it even applied to posting this message as the original poster. Always 42 seconds. On the other hand I can now even open up a 100+ posts thread instantly. So it really must be some sort of problem between my DSL modem and my computer and not fodor's fault. And I have also lost my ability for this site to remember my name and email address. I checked tools/internet options and auto memory is still set to work, but doesn't. Oh well, the joys of computer operations.

Old Dec 8th, 2001, 01:48 PM
Randy

Patrick:<BR><BR>I see you are with AOL. Try using the Microsoft Internet Explorer brouser and see if it remembers your e-mail address. Or if you are already using Internet Explorer, try re-installing or downloading an updated version and see if it works then.

Old Dec 8th, 2001, 01:54 PM
kavey

I have ADSL and posting is usually fine, pretty quick, maybe 2-8 seconds.<BR><BR>I had to set it to go through a proxy (which I dont understand much about) and it worked, without that it wouldnt let me post at all.<BR><BR>Kavey