Portugal in October by car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I are just beginning to plan our trip to Portugal for October 2015. We are planning to rent a car and drive a circuit route including the coast/interior mountains. We have not determined where to fly into from US yet, and may end up flying in to Spain, fares will determine. We have 21 to 24 days, prefer off the main track, stay in rural communities, scenery, ruins, vineyards/wineries, kayaking, light hiking, pubs, good food, market shopping. Any suggestions as to routes to stick to; off main track things to see/do; any festivals or celebrations in October; hotel recommendations, hikes, kayak tours or other suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.
Also, does anyone know if there is an accommodation guide book I can order? Any tips on car rentals? (We are aware of the highway tolls)
Old Oct 28th, 2014, 02:17 AM

In 2014, the first half of October was decidedly wet and windy, but the last 10 days have been fine, with temperatures into 70s and lower 80s.
Old Oct 28th, 2014, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Where we live, October is also cooler and wet, so expect this in Portugal. I did not realize flights from US are seasonal, so thanks for that as well as the reading
info Robert.
Old Oct 28th, 2014, 08:30 AM

so many questions to which all I can say in Portugal you can find the lot.
There are no longer books for accommodation. Use the internet.
I usually use Booking.com or you can usually find accommodation in the national tourist website.
https://www.visitportugal.com/en
Old Oct 28th, 2014, 08:51 AM

My relatives just came back from a vacation in Spain & Portugal. They picked up their car Barcelona and returned in Porto. They are very happy with their trip. They got to see both countries and I think even saved on their flight arrangements.

One-way fees for car rentals between Spain and Portugal can be very high but they went with a car lease, which works out much better as they don't charge a one-way fee, just a destination charge. Renault offers a Eurodrive car lease program, which is what they used: http://www.renaultusa.com

One suggestion, if you plan to drive for this long, I recommend brushing up your manual stick shift driving skills, as automatics are scarce in Europe.