Reload this Page >

Best Areas for an October Portugal Vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2002, 07:41 PM
Jeff Kronenberg

Any suggestions for the following questions:<BR><BR>1. What would be the best places to go in Portugal in mid-October? Are beaches in Algarve still nice?<BR>2. What is length of days in S. vs. N. areas this time of year?<BR>3. I'm looking for nice day hikes and possible 2-3 day bike tours.<BR>4. Where can I find out about renting bikes?

Old May 28th, 2002, 05:55 AM
www.tourist-in-portugal.web.pt

1 - Hi. The weather here in Portugal can be very changeable, and I remember having months of October that looked like spring, while in others it looked like winter. It is hard to forecast the weather in October, so, it is also hard to predict how things are going 2 be in Algarve. One thing is sure, and that is officially the beach season will end in late September, so after that there will be no surveilance.<BR>If you insist on heading to the beach, then Madeira island may be the best option (still warm in October).<BR>2 - There is little difference on the length of sun hours when comparing North with South, though in the south it will "feel" like longer, because it's more likely for you to have sunny days in the south (North has more rain). Daytime starts around 07:00 untill 18:30 (aprox).<BR>3 - The south. why ? because there are no mountains or hills, so you'll be able to ride faster, and because by that time of year, Alentejo won't be as hot as it is in summer. <BR>4 - I don't know, but I can try and find something.<BR><BR>any other question ?<BR>try my e-mail [email protected]

Old May 28th, 2002, 09:49 AM
John

Jeff, we toured both the north and south in October a couple of years ago. It was rainy in the north while we were there, so we amended our itinerary and ended up spending twice as long in the Alentejo as we originally had planned. It was absolutely worth it - gorgeous, empty countryside, fascinating villages and history, good touring. Can't answer the bike question but I imagine it would be a splendid area to explore.

Old May 31st, 2002, 12:59 PM
didier

Jeff,<BR>1<BR>I love south Portugal: Alentejo, both the coast lines and the inland. Still very well conserved as it was over 50 years ago with very good roads and offroad trails for biking btween castles and whitewashed villages.<BR>The north is bit more green, hilly and wet!<BR><BR>Algarve will be ok in October, day temperatures around 20ºC! If there is a place to go to the beach by that time of the year it has to be the Algarve, but also the South west Coast is amazing!<BR><BR>2<BR>Portugal is only 700-800 kms long! Latitude does not mix up with day light here... expect sunset to occur around 6-7pm.<BR><BR>3. Day Hikes I suggest the Sintra hills west of Lisboa and Arrabida south of Lisboa. Also Geres in the extreme NW is great for hiking. All these areas are Nature Reserves.<BR><BR>4. There are not many options, we are very few bikers over here! Please but check out our web site and let me know what you think...<BR>The south of Portugal is an amazing biking undiscovered bik&iacute;ng area!<BR><BR>Good luck with your planning and let me know if I can help.<BR><BR>www.bikeiberia.com<BR>Experience the best of Portugal and Spain by bike! &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&l t;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

Old May 31st, 2002, 01:45 PM
ja

Hi, Jeff,<BR> We were in the Algarve last October (7-22) and the weather was fantastic! Mostly sunny days, highs between 18 Celsius and 26 Celsius, the beaches were lovely, and the bougainvilla (?sp) was still in lush bloom. Stayed in a nice hotel near the village of Alvor.<BR>ja

Old May 31st, 2002, 03:08 PM
melinda

Went to Algarve October 15th, weather was fantastic... certainly warm enough for the beach.