Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How long by train from Vienna to Salzburg ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 10:32 AM
jacquie

I am thinking of visiting Salzburg for a White Xmas, but wonder how far it is by train from Vienna ? Any details on the quickest and most economical way to get to Salzburg the week before Xmas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 02:45 PM
Russ

It's about 3 hours. There's a direct train leaving at 8:47 that gets you to Salzburg at 11:55.

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 08:09 PM
Bob Brown

Trains run regularly from Wien Westbahnhof to Salzburg Hauptbahnhof all day long. <BR>The length of the trip varies from about 3 hours 8 minutes to 3 hours 27 minuts depending on the number of stops. <BR>The distance is 317 K.

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 11:40 PM
jacquie

Thanks for the replies.

Old Dec 3rd, 2000, 09:40 AM
Bob Brown

I might add that Vienna Westbahnhof is easily reached via the undergrond and several tram lines. (Vienna still has street cars that run on tracks. And they move right along.) <BR> <BR>The dining cars on the Austrian trains I have ridden are above average in food quality and food is reasonably priced. <BR>Also, I could have paid in a variety of currencies -- even American. But I used my standard plastic. (As I recall, on the train I rode the waitress would accept Swiss, German, Austrian, and American money.) <BR> <BR>