How I am growing into a leader during my time abroad

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2022, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

During February 2022 I made the decision to go across the country to study in Florence, Italy I have never been to with no one I know and where I do not know the native language. Stating it like that, I sound crazy. However, I was going through a program where there were many students in my same situation. That was refreshing. I made this decision because it has always been a goal of mine to take the opportunity to study abroad during University. Taking this first step, even saying I was going to fulfill my goal of studying abroad, was a sign of leadership. I did not let negative comments, worries, or struggles stop me from doing this. And there were many struggles. For instance, I did not even receive my updated passport until two weeks of having to leave the country. But, I contacted the U.S. passport services and was able to speed up the process and got it in time. Then, I bought my ticket to Paris, France (I was visiting a friend before school)! But, could not find one back home. Never the less, I kept my head up. The next day, I got a ticket back home! I was on my way. Once I landed in the first country I was visiting, I came to find that my luggage did not make it to the airport. This was my second "major" struggle, after the passport instance. I was in the Paris, France airport trying my best to communicate with the lost luggage services while also eyeing the clock every five minutes because I had a train to catch. Time was ticking so I had to make a decision, miss my train and wait in the Paris airport, hoping my luggage would appear or forget about my luggage and get on the train I had already paid for and hope that it would be sent to me. So, I got the lost-luggage services' email and hoped on my train, barely making it. And now? I am sitting in my apartment in Florence, Italy, still with no luggage but also with no worries. Italy is a nice place to go shopping, isn't it?
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 04:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Interesting anecdote but I don't understand the relation to leadership. Who are you leading?
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perhaps OP has helicopter parents.

OP: S$$$ happens. Deal with it.
Don't expect a trophy when you do.
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 09:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ah, tomboy, gracious as ever.
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 11:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Fortunately the OP is not susceptible to negative comments.
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 12:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fra_Diavolo
Ah, tomboy, gracious as ever.
How I am growing into a leader during my time abroad-1-istockphoto-108544951-612x612.jpg
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 01:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
A few tips: apply extra early for passport or renewal; travel with carry-on luggage only; don't prepay train tickets on common routes

I also am curious about who or how you are a "leader"?

Do continue with your trip report... if you'd like.
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 03:00 PM

I absolutely get the connection to leadership. When you are not a follower, you have the potential to be a leader. All it takes is for someone else to notice you and a tough skin.

Keep going with your trip report - I am reading it.

Lavandula
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 07:10 PM

You mentioned University, so assume you are a “relatively” young person.
Are you with a university group?
How long is your trip?
Will you be visiting other countries? Do you have much planned or just winging it?
How did you find and book your apartment?
What websites, etc did you use to plan this trip?
What are some tips you could pass on to others, such as choosing where to go, making payments for apartments, finding room mates, packing, language, etc?
You are so lucky to have family to visit in Paris. Meeting up with friends and family in another place away from home is always fun.
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 08:56 PM

Doesn't being a "leader" mean you have "followers"? This is definitely about growth, an excellent adventure, learning how to travel through daily experiences, becoming more self-confident.

Having friends who live locally is always the BEST way.

Did the luggage ever arrive? Hope so!
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 09:12 PM

Well. I spent 17 years as an US Army officer, and I've attended courses on and read lots of books on leadership. I can tell you that being independent and self-sufficient is not leadership; being independent and self-sufficient may be prerequisites to becoming a leader, but they are not, in themselves, leadership.

I'm not sure I can write a good definition of leadership, but I can give some aspects of it --

Leaders are sacrificial. They sacrifice their time, their sleep, their self-care, their comfort, their own goals, their egos, their family time, and their hunger (leaders always eat last) to make sure that the team can accomplish its goal.

Leaders are planners. Leaders plan for today, for tomorrow, for next week, for next month, and for next year. They will anticipate problems and obstacles and will have options in mind for each possibility.

Leaders are resourceful. When things go awry, and things will go awry, leaders will be able to find solutions and materials so that the team will be able to accomplish its mission.

Leaders act quickly. When things go awry, and things will go awry, Leaders will be able to choose between the impossible options quickly and direct the team to take action (see, for example, Lt Winters in the series Band of Brothers).

Leaders communicate. Leaders communicate with authorities to learn about the mission, the intent of the mission, possible problems and obstacles, and possible options available. Leaders communicate with the team to pass on all the information and to learn what problems or distractions each member may be dealing with. And Leaders communicate with other teams and other leaders to learn about their solutions and options.

So. I do congratulate you for finding strength within yourself to persevere when you faced obstacles and discouragement, and I think you could very well become a good leader. You may want to learn some more about planning and anticipating problems, and about communication. When you are lucky enough to be in charge of a team, you will learn all about sacrifice, believe me.

In the meantime... enjoy your trip. Soak it all in. It is teaching you to be flexible and to be open. Let it work its magic. You have time to hone your leadership skills.

s
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 09:32 PM

I love reading this and hope you continue with the trip report of your experiences. Sorry but borrowing clothes from your cousin because your suitcase got lost isn't exactly being a "leader" -haha. It could be a good, if somewhat inconvenient, lesson in how to pack your carry-on for maximum efficiency next time

Old Jul 8th, 2022, 09:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love swandav's definitions. I hesitate to add anything to such a fine list but maybe something about listening and monitoring body language. This lets you see who are the people with you who need development or help into being leaders themselves. Leaders make leaders.
Old Jul 9th, 2022, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
I love swandav's definitions. I hesitate to add anything to such a fine list but maybe something about listening and monitoring body language. This lets you see who are the people with you who need development or help into being leaders themselves. Leaders make leaders.
Thank you!

And you make a good point. When I was on active duty (I retired in 1999), there wasn't much discussion on body language. There was some, but not much. It may have been because military uniforms and military bearing can obfuscate body language. Perhaps they are getting better at reading it today.

s
Old Jul 9th, 2022, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tomboy
Perhaps OP has helicopter parents.

OP: S$$$ happens. Deal with it.
Don't expect a trophy when you do.
Haha nope, no helicopter parents. Also I did deal with the shit that happened

Last edited by juliatraveling; Jul 9th, 2022 at 06:18 AM.
Old Jul 9th, 2022, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swandav2000
Well. I spent 17 years as an US Army officer, and I've attended courses on and read lots of books on leadership. I can tell you that being independent and self-sufficient is not leadership; being independent and self-sufficient may be prerequisites to becoming a leader, but they are not, in themselves, leadership.

I'm not sure I can write a good definition of leadership, but I can give some aspects of it --

Leaders are sacrificial. They sacrifice their time, their sleep, their self-care, their comfort, their own goals, their egos, their family time, and their hunger (leaders always eat last) to make sure that the team can accomplish its goal.

Leaders are planners. Leaders plan for today, for tomorrow, for next week, for next month, and for next year. They will anticipate problems and obstacles and will have options in mind for each possibility.

Leaders are resourceful. When things go awry, and things will go awry, leaders will be able to find solutions and materials so that the team will be able to accomplish its mission.

Leaders act quickly. When things go awry, and things will go awry, Leaders will be able to choose between the impossible options quickly and direct the team to take action (see, for example, Lt Winters in the series Band of Brothers).

Leaders communicate. Leaders communicate with authorities to learn about the mission, the intent of the mission, possible problems and obstacles, and possible options available. Leaders communicate with the team to pass on all the information and to learn what problems or distractions each member may be dealing with. And Leaders communicate with other teams and other leaders to learn about their solutions and options.

So. I do congratulate you for finding strength within yourself to persevere when you faced obstacles and discouragement, and I think you could very well become a good leader. You may want to learn some more about planning and anticipating problems, and about communication. When you are lucky enough to be in charge of a team, you will learn all about sacrifice, believe me.

In the meantime... enjoy your trip. Soak it all in. It is teaching you to be flexible and to be open. Let it work its magic. You have time to hone your leadership skills.

s
Well thank you! Yes, I totally agree. To be honest I had to do this for school and it was suppose to be about leadership so I just tried my best to tie it in. Thank you for your service, and for this well written definition of leadership I think you really embodied what leadership means
Old Jul 9th, 2022, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suze
Doesn't being a "leader" mean you have "followers"? This is definitely about growth, an excellent adventure, learning how to travel through daily experiences, becoming more self-confident.

Having friends who live locally is always the BEST way.

Did the luggage ever arrive? Hope so!
Haha no, no luggage. And yes! It was so nice seeing my cousin when I first got here, made me settle in way easier.
Old Jul 9th, 2022, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lavandula
I absolutely get the connection to leadership. When you are not a follower, you have the potential to be a leader. All it takes is for someone else to notice you and a tough skin.

Keep going with your trip report - I am reading it.

Lavandula
I’m glad you got the tie into leadership! Honestly I had to write this for school and didn’t think anyone was actually going to read it…especially respond. Lol
Old Jul 9th, 2022, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suze
A few tips: apply extra early for passport or renewal; travel with carry-on luggage only; don't prepay train tickets on common routes

I also am curious about who or how you are a "leader"?

Do continue with your trip report... if you'd like.
It was my first train ride so I kinda just wanted everything laid out, and it was to a smaller city in France but you’re totally right! Because it would have sucked if I missed my train and had to buy a whole new ticket, never again. And I feel that I am leading myself. I’ve had to make a lot of decisions that I’ve never made before and be responsible at every moment, so I feel that i’m growing into the qualities of a good leader (I also just had to write this for school about leadership and just titled it that haha)
Old Jul 9th, 2022, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
So true! I love this and feel like it’s not mentioned enough, about how good leaders watch others and make sure they are doing well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -