Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How far is the Borghese Gallery/Gardens from the Vatican?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I am planning my Rome trip for this month, and was wondering if I could fit both the Vatican and Borghese Gardens in one day.
We have ticket reservations for a Scavi Tour at 3pm.
Can you walk to the Gardens from the Vatican? or should we take a bus?

Thanks so much for your help, and I promise to post a trip report!
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 06:30 PM

That is a long way--I would taxi.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 06:30 PM

You can definitely do the Borghese Gallery and Gardens and your Scavi tour on the same day, but walking from the Borghese Gallery to the Vatican would be a fair hike.

Check

www.atac.roma.it

for buses and schedules.

And reserve your time at the Galleria Borghese Web site.

If you do Scavi, you can do Basilica di San Pietro immediately after, without having to stand in the endless line of those wanting to see the tomb of John Paul II. But you shouldn't plan on doing the Vatican Museums on the same day. (I think they are open late one day a week, but unfortunately, I don't remember which day. In any case, after Scavi and Basilica, I would think you would have had enough of the Vatican for one day.)
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 06:48 PM

The Villa Borghese is my all time favorite museum and Bernini's Apollo and Daphne is my favorite statue. I am SO jealous that you are going. The Borghese is a bit far from the Vatican. I would suggest you taxi, we did. We had reservations months in advance for the Borghese then due to a change in date for our Vatican tour we had to reschedule. The Borghese got us in the next day but I think we were lucky. We spent about three hours at the Borghese and saw pretty much everything we wanted to see. Hope you have a wonderful time!
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you soo much for your replies.

I was thinking of maybe skipping the Borghese Gallery if it wasn't close to the Vatican...but reading your replies I have changed my mind. I am going to try and book tickets tomorrow. Hopefully I am not requesting them to late, as I will be in Rome from June 20-25.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 07:19 PM

There may be a bus, but I think it would be quite easy to walk down from the Borghese Gardens to the Barberini metro stop, and then take the metro to Ottaviano and then walk to St. Peters. Allow yourself plenty of time. You could also walk to the Spagna metro stop - I'm not sure which is closer in this case.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 08:02 PM

I was able to book G. Borghese reservations today for June 11, so chances are you will be fine.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 12:11 AM

I think the Spanish Steps Metro stop is a little closer than the one at Barberini...perhaps not by much, though.
And the walk through the park between the Villa Borghese and the top of the Via Veneto can be quite pleasant...BUT, I would spring for a taxi in this case.

People are supposedly only allowed to be inside the Borghese for two hours although some stay longer.

I think you'll not regret doing the VB, especially if you enjoy sculpture.