How far is Stonehenge?

Nov 12th, 2001, 04:48 PM
Dave

How far is Stonehenge?

Planning a trip to London and we're interested in visiting Stonehenge. Can't locate Salisbury England on the map. Anyone know how far it is from London?

Nov 12th, 2001, 05:20 PM
Bob Brown

Salisbury is west-southwest of London by about 100K. It is a few K northwest of Southampton. Stonehenge itself is 4 K northwest of Amesbury which is north of Salisbury by about 8 K. The last times I was there, I took the bus from Salisbury to Amesbury and walked from the bus station to the "stones" and back. It was not raining, so it was a pleasent walk
I took the train to Salisbury from Waterloo. The travel time by train is 1 hour, 19 minutes.
You should allow time to tour the marvellous cathedral in Salisbury as part of the trip.

Nov 12th, 2001, 07:12 PM
Duane

Dave,

My wife and I just got back from Stonehenge. We took a London Walks (www.walks.com) tour of Salisbury and Stonehenge. Unless you're planning on driving yourself, I would recommend using this firm. It was cheap, the guide was great, and he even hired a private coach for us to go from Salisbury to Stonehenge. We went the back way, where very few tourist go, because it's winding and a little longer. It was worth it. We got to go right by Sting's new country digs. Worth a look.

Good luck.

Nov 13th, 2001, 03:40 AM
Dave

Thanks posters - once again the information I have obtained from this site will be most helpful. Is this a great site or what?

Nov 13th, 2001, 07:01 AM
Joanne

Dress warmly Dave, or at least have a wrap available. I've never been so cold in my life as I was at Stonehenge.

j

Nov 13th, 2001, 08:52 AM
Bob Brown

The clothing comment is good !! advice.
I was at Stonehenge in December and wore a down filled jacket and a very warm cap plus gloves. The "stones" stand out on a treeless plain, so there is very little wind protection. Even if you are there in late May, I recommend some kind of windbreaker and sweater or jacket.

I think you will enjoy the "stones" more if you read about them first. Some people think they are larger than they actually are, but remember that they are about 40 tons or more for each of the megaliths. The wonder to me is how they moved them there in the first place and then put them into the ground so that they stand upright. The other wonder is how did they dress and finish the stones that stand upright so that they look straight. Without curving them a little, the upright stones would tend to look curved, which they do not! Also, the tools used to accomplish the final dressing is a puzzle because the rock is incredibly hard. The other wonder of wonders to me is, given the tremendous age of the monument is how did the builders erect the upright stones with the lintel caps in place, which added greatly to the total weight.
I have read several accounts, but no one has put forth what is to me a convincing argument.

Nov 13th, 2001, 09:57 AM
Gayle

There was a TV show a few years ago, where they experimented trying to duplicate the process of moving the stones. Their theory was that they were moved on skids, by MANY slaves and the ropes were woven from plant material. To set the stones upright, the base of the stone was set into a hole in the ground, then some kind of lever system used to raise it to perpendicular. A good book is "Stonehenge Decoded". Advantage of seeing Stonehenge in chillier or drippy weather is you won't have crowds to contend with. Makes it easier to visualize thousands of years ago.