Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How far in advance to purchase train tickets for Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 11:04 PM
Anne

We will be traveling from Rome-Florence roundtrip during the first couples days in June. I know this is high season for Italy, so should I purchase tickets in the US before I leave - or will a couple of days before we head to Florence be enough time to buy our tickets and get a seat reservation?

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 12:57 AM
Steve James

Hello Anne,<BR><BR>No need to buy in US. A couple of days in advance will be fine. <BR><BR>Steve

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 01:58 AM
Chris

A couple of days should be enough -- I went from Venice to Florence in July and had no problem. But, being the nervous type, buying the tix was the first thing I did when I got to Venice. <BR><BR>BTW, the ES first class smoking car wasn't too smoke infused. I was put in smoking and am a smoker (usually request non, but I forgot) -- didn't light up as no one else was. Non-smokers were also in the smoking car and they remarked as to how smoke-free it was.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 08:40 AM
GAC

Folks, let's not get too ansy about train reservations in Italy for the month of June!!!! Even though June is the beginning of high season, bear in mind that there are HOURLY Eurostar trains between Rome and Florence. Each train carries 500 to 600 passengers. You can even purchase SAME DAY reserved seats on these Eurostars. If a particular train is full, you can take always the next one. Travel time is only 95 minutes!!!!! I would advise obtaining the reserved seat ticket as soon as you arrive in Rome. That way, you are most likely to leave at your desired time.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Anna

On Eurostar Trains, how much is it to reserve a seat (1st or 2nd class)?

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Grasshopper

My methodology is to buy the departing ticket when I arrive in a city. Sometimes I even buy it the day of travel if I want to stay totally flexible. The only problem I had with this was when I had to wait a whole 2 hours at Waterloo because the next Chunnel train was full. Not a big deal!<BR><BR>Am I the only one who thinks people get too carried away with planning every tiny detail? Sometimes it's really fun to follow your nose and see where you end up.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 01:22 PM
GAC

In Italy, the price quoted for Eurostar includes the seat reservation. However, on Intercity (IC) and Eurocity (EC) trains, there is a modest optional reservation charge of approx. 3 Euros. Reservations on IC and EC trains is highly recommended in second class, and sometimes even in first class during peak days, peak periods and between certain heavily traveled cities (such as Milan and Venice or Venice and Florence).