How expensive is Turkey?

Search

How expensive is Turkey?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How expensive is Turkey?

In general, what should 2 people budget for about two and one-half weeks in Istanbul and the surrounding area?

Such as meals, local transportation, site admissions, tourist class hotels, tips, etc.?

We are in the pioneer stages of this trip and would like to have some idea of costs.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 04:30 PM

It is hard for someone like me to talk of "budget" whilst in Istanbul.

I was in Istanbul with my mother, Linda, husband, Keith, and cousin, Muffy, in July 2005. We stayed at the Ritz-Carlton. One double room was about $300 a night (we got a deal).

We ate in really nice restaurants--say about $30 an entree, and about $7 for a glass of local wine.

Admission to Topkapi Palace, Dolmabahce Palace, Hagia Sophia, etc., was not that expensive, maybe $10 a person?

A taxi from Sultanahmet to Dolmabahce Palace was about $7.

I ws really horrible--but my mother was worse--just charged everything and gave the bill to my accountant to pay.

I had to say to my mother, "Do you really need that $10,000 Hereke carpet?"

The children aways pay for the sins of their parents.

Thinny
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 09:48 AM

Istanbul is the most expensive place in Turkey. Just like NYC is here in the states.

The meals will vary in price. If the menu is in Euros you can gaurentee that you are being ripped off with the exchange rate. Just get up and leave or make them bring you one in YTL.

Served liquor is expensive. I think $7 is on the cheap side I saw it starting at $12 in several places.

Old Apr 17th, 2008, 09:57 AM

Well for the opposite end of the spectrum, haha. I will be staying in 50 euro per night hotels in Istanbul and walking/taking the tram everywhere.
I got such a great deal on airfare, I think the expenses in city will be minimal. Meals run the gamut--nothing to worry about, just choose wisely if you need to. This is such a wide open question I cannot throw out any numbers, it is all about choices like anywhere else. Certainly cheaper than major european cities. Outside Istanbul and beach resorts, cheap indeed.
There are low cost carriers if you fly and long range buses are not expensive certainly.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:02 AM

If you do not know about this invaluable website yet, you must visit
http://turkeytravelplanner.com.
There is a "what it costs" page.