Reload this Page >

How expensive is Russia?

Search

How expensive is Russia?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 04:03 PM
Tinnie

How expensive is Russia?

Going to Russia in October. What should we expect to pay for a medium priced hotel in Moscow and St. Petersberg? How expensive is food?

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 07:53 AM
Ruth

This is difficult to answer. Both cities are like big cities anywhere in the world. You can spend $250 a night or $25 a night. You can eat for $150 pp or $15. Depends upon our needs. Generally hotels are expensive and food is expensive for the quality. I would not spend much on the room as you are not likely to spend much time there. <BR> <BR>October weather can be quite cool to cold but it can also be pleasant.

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 11:46 PM
Andrea

We found our biggest problem in hotels. They all seemed to us to be in one of 3 categories: <BR> <BR>* Ultra luxury, US $350/night and up <BR>* Russian standard, US $100, equivalent to US Motel 6 in decor, but Marriott in Price <BR>* Less than US $100 and either scary or really bad location <BR> <BR>We stayed at the Rossya in Moscow, and I can't recommend it highly enough. All of the negative reviews are correct - it's a nondescript, hulking cement block (the building AND the staff, now that I think about it), service is minimal and NOT with a smile, the breakfast buffet is pretty bad, and all for US $100. ON THE OTHER HAND . . . it is RIGHT across the street from St. Basil's, and our room even had a balcony. Fabulous, fabulous view and location. <BR> <BR>The Intourist is the other hotel in this category, and it is on the other side of the Red Square. I'd imagine it's pretty much the same; perhaps make your choice based on which can get you the better room for the money.

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 03:51 AM
xxx

This question is for Ruth since you stated that like any big city in the world you can find accommodations for $250 or $25. Please tell me the names of $25 accommodation in Paris, Amsterdam, Rome, Venice, Florence, Lisbon, Athens, Krakow, Barcelona, Madrid and of course Moscow and St. Petersburg.

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 05:27 AM
Ruth

Travelers Guest House in Moscow. <BR> <BR>Also Tsaristino has apartments for rent without kitchen for $30 per night for foreigners. <BR> <BR>Don't know about other cities.