How does this look for a trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are going to Europe as our last hoorah before we start a family. We want to see as much as we can but do not want to be overwhelmed with running around to too many places not enjoying what we do get to spend time at. This (below) is what we were thinking. Do you think it is too much time in Spain? Don't know much about Spain, and my wife definetely wants to go to Spain as the highlight, so figured we would spend the most time there. Let me know your thoughts, thanks!!

March 24, 09' – arrive London at 10am, get through customs and to hotel by maybe 12p? afternoon in London
25th – London
26th – train for Paris around noon if possible– afternoon in Paris
27th – Paris
28th – Paris (most of the day) – overnight train to Madrid leaves at 7pm
29th – arrive in Madrid at 930a, go right away to the north(?) can go south first too
30th – north - head to Barcelona in the afternoon or morning
31st – Barcelona
1st – head to south in the morning
2nd – south, head to Madrid in the afternoon
3rd – Madrid
4th – Madrid
5th – leave at 11a 
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 10:16 AM
kja

You are thinking of some wonderful destinations, but aren't leaving yourselves very much time to see them. It might help to know what it is about Spain that most intrigues your wife.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 10:18 AM

It is certainly not too much time, anywhere! I would seriously reconsider. If you just have to be in more than one city, I would split it between London and Paris OR Madrid and Barcelona.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

What most intrigues her is the beauty of the country, it has has always been a place she has wanted to go to. This is her second time in europe. we went to Italy last year and she loved it. This time she wanted to see as much as she could with most of it in spain, she has always just heard great things about the country. She also speaks fluent spanish. I have already been to London and Paris, so can show her around there pretty good for only spending 2-3 days in each. We would be willing to cut days off in Spain for my time other places if there is not much to see in Spain, instead of 7 days there, maybe only 5. Maybe 3 days in Madrid is just too much?
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 10:24 AM

another vote for less.
you have 12 days. pick 3 locations and have a blast...
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 10:27 AM

The beauty of Spain is not only in the two largest cities. There is a lot to see, only you can decide how much of it you want to see and how fast, but the general consensus here will be that this is too much is too short a time.
If I had a Spanish speaking spouse, I would take advantage and spend the entire time in Spain.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 10:27 AM

You can take an overnight train from Paris to Barcelona - no need to go to Madrid first. BUT I would suggest if your wife wants to do Spain - do Spain! It is easy and interesting to do several parts of the country - I would suggest Barcelona, Madrid and Cordoba / Seville. Andulasia has the moorish heritage and sights which makes it quite different than the north. But London, Paris, Barclona makes a great trip too - certainly a variety of cityscapes.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 10:33 AM

We just got back from Barcelona. We spent a week there, and I still didn't hit everything on my wish list. We've been to Madrid also and a few days there is enough. Paris and London also need substantial time.

Did you already book your flights (into London and out of Madrid)? I agree with the others that it's just too much jammed in. You'll by spending half your time traveling and settling into hotels. Not a relaxing vacation.

To save some time, you may consider flying from Paris to Barcelona. Going to Madrid for 1 night then to Barcelona, is wasting time. There are so many cheap flights within Europe (Easyjet, Ryanair to name a few).

I also strongly recommend you cut out at least 1 of these locations. Paris, London and Barcelona each need 4 or 5 FULL days just to scratch the surface. Madrid, 3 is adequate.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

ok, so a week in spain is ok then? we already bought the plane tickets, landing in London and leaving from Spain 2 weeks later. So spensing a couple days in each London and Paris (she just wants to see the major sites) and then a week in spain is cool? We plan to see as much of Spain as possible, hopefully round the outside, hit north and spin around to the south, end up in Madrid before leaving. I don't know, maybe pop into Morocco if possible?
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

ok, sound great everyone for your insight. I know it is a lot to do, but she has never seen any of these places and is afraid that with chirlden coming soon, we might not get back for some time. so I guess we'll just do a couple days in London and Paris (I know not much time to see nearly everything, but she just wanted to major points of interest) and then most of our time jumping around Spain. Maybe most in barcelona it sounds, with just a couple days in Madrid. I think the smaller cities and outer areas about Spain sound more interesting.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 11:11 AM
kja

I spent 3 weeks in Spain a few years ago. In that time, I barely scratched the surface of central Spain (Madrid, Toledo, Segovia, Avila, Salamanca) and barely scratched the surface of southern Spain (Cordoba, Granada, Ronda, Seville). I didn't even try to visit Barcelona on that trip, much as I would like to see it. If you only have a week or two for Spain, you might want to consider picking just one area.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 11:31 AM

2 days in London, 2 days in Paris, 3 days in Barcelona, 2 days in Madrid, and perhaps 2 days up north in San Sebastian or 2 days south in Malaga or Seville, thats a very doable itinerary. sounds like my kind of traveling actually. But to be honest with you, I dont think you will have time to "pop" over to Morocco. Unless you concentrate your Spain "tour" in the south and cut out Barcelona and/or Madrid.

Vueling airlines might save you some traveling time.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 11:43 AM

"Not much to see in Spain"???

Then why go in the first place?

I don't really see "a couple" days in London or Paris, nor "2 or 3" - more like 1.5 days. Considering the time and expense of going there, this really seems like a waste.

I realize you're concerned about when you'll get back, but all those places will still be there when you're ready. Just how much are you really going to see with a day here and a day there?
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 11:45 AM

Well, it's not my style of traveling, but if it suits you then go for it!

Don't even think about "popping over to Morocco." You'd only be able to race around Tangiers, which is such a far cry from what Morocco is really all about that it's a waste of effort.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 12:01 PM

I think we've been had, folks.
If ... "then a week in spain is cool? We plan to see as much of Spain as possible, hopefully round the outside, hit north and spin around to the south, end up in Madrid before leaving. I don't know, maybe pop into Morocco if possible?" isn't a troll, I'll eat my hat.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 12:16 PM

"We want to see as much as we can but do not want to be overwhelmed with running around to too many places not enjoying what we do get to spend time at."

OMG. I'm old. Even your re-evaluated itinerary makes my head spin. IMO you can actually see MORE by going to fewer places. You will see more when you spend less time in train stations/airports/trains/planes and more time sightseeing and soaking up the atmosphere of each location. Travel time from city to city and getting to each hotel in each new city then getting settled takes longer than people remember. I'm planning a trip to Barcelona and I'm freaking out that I only have five full days to sightsee there.

You've already got your flights so I'd probably do 2 days in London, 3 in Paris, 4 days in Barcelona and 4 in Madrid with a day trip. Actually, I'd skip Paris on this trip altogether. I would fly straight to Spain from London (ask fodorites for advice on cheap airlines like Vueling and Ryanair) allowing more time in Spain.

Then you can look forward to planning a romantic trip to Paris when the child is a year old. Its good to take grand vacations even when you have kids and many grandparents (although I realize not all) LOVE taking care of baby.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 12:40 PM

We spent a week in Spain along the southern coast, and it was not even close to enough time. We stayed in one spot-a villa- and took day trips from there. The best part was traveling on twisty roads through the mountains/highlands and stopping in little villages for great meals and seeing beautiful old castles and churches. None of us in our group spoke much Spanish. It will be wonderful for you since your wife knows the language. I say skip France this trip. We stopped in London on our way back and stayed centrally located near Trafalgar Square so we could see a lot in a short time.
Enjoy~!
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 05:49 AM

I agree with the idea of skipping Paris. A couple of days in Paris and London is hardly worth it. As soon as you get settled, you'll be leaving, not a recommended approach to seeing a city. Fly from London to Barcelona (there are so many cheap flights within Europe). Then train or fly from Barcelona to Madrid. You can take easy day trips from any of those cities if you want to see something else (like some of the smaller historic, towns such as Toledo or Girona). I would spend more time in London and Barcelona than Madrid. 3 days in Madrid is enough, and around 5 each in London and Barcelona. But don't try to see all over Spain. It's impossible.

I'd also recommend hop on/off bus tours in London and maybe Barcelona, just becasue they give you a good overview and from their you can go off on your own.

And don't worry, you can still go to Europe with kids, I've done it 3 times, and most recently I went without kids (they are both now in college).
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 07:34 AM

Looks awful to me. Looks exhausting and stressful. 10 days is just enough time for Madrid and Barcelona or Madrid and Andalucia. Good luck.
Old Nov 12th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Well I am sorry that you all feel this is not enough time, but we just want to see some things and if it means only a couple days in each, we are happy just to be in the culture. We are the kind of people who travel for the culture factor, not having to see this and that. Sure we would love to stay longer in each place but don't want to limit ourselves, so we try to see as much as possible. It more about just being there then HAVING to see everything in these cities. We love the culture, food, experience, more than anything. TROLL, what is that? (I guess you are eating your hat). such kind words from everyone for a site I was told was great and helpful, thanks for the lovely experience and I am sorry that we don't have tons of time to travel but want to see as much as we can, that's all my wife wanted, was to experience each place, not so much about seeing everything. I know it's not your type of travel, but it works for us. We are just excited to be there, not everyone can. FYI, we are only doing a region of Spain now as talking to friends who have been there, they said just to concentrate on an area, so this is when the trip will slow down for all those who think it is too much. Also, have added a day to each Paris and London and are flying to Barcelona, all decided before I came back to ready all these lovely thughts from some of these posts. The initital post by myself was jsut an idea, that's why it is being asked, what you thought? I have been to London and Paris many times, but my wife who has never, just wants to take it in quick, that's all she cares about, that's why 8 days in Spain is the real part of the trip. I was asking if that was enough as I have no clue about Spain and she counts on me to get us around. I have never been there or researched it so didn't know if the whole country is possible. I just wanted ideas from people who have been there, regarless if you take more time of not, that has nothing to do with it. For those of who who gave some great suggestions, I thank you, and hope there are more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -