Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How does this essentially East German itinerary look?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2013, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the first stage of our itinerary:

May 10 - arrive in Frankfurt in the morning, pick up car and drive to Würzburg. Look for accommodations. If there is time, visit the Residenz; if not the next morning.

May 11 - Arrive in Bamberg in the afternoon.

May 12 -13 Bamberg with day trips to Coburg and Vierzehnheilingen.

May 14 - drive to Leipzig - Is there time to visit Weimar on the way, particularly what there is of the Bauhaus?

May 15 -16 -17 Leipzig with day trips to Dessau, and possibly Halle and Quedlinburg.

May 21 - 22 - Görlitz with a day trip to Bautzen and area.

May 23 - Cottbus

May 24 - arrive at Berlin destination by 2 p.m.

There are three days left out, but I was thinking of an overnight in Meissen. We do not intend to go to Nürnberg or Augsburg, and we have been to Dresden. Any suggestions that would fit within this general itinerary?

Thanks.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 12:07 PM

I take that the objective of the trip is to drive in Germany?
How about Eisenach?
Old May 3rd, 2013, 12:12 PM

Yes Eisenach and Wartburg Castle where Martin Luther once hid out - to wit the ink stains still on his room's walls after he threw his ink well at the Devil! and Erfurt is a nice larger cities bugt Naumburg is a real gem too - three nice ducks in a row but Weimar to me was the best of them all - even in DDR days it was an oasis of greenery with the large park that some famous philosopher or musician stayed in - could add a day or so to see these gems.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

We are driving, leaving the car in Berlin.

Since I definitely have marked Naumburg on my map, should I be using an extra day by staying overnight in Erfurt or Weimar, and detouring to Eisenach on the way to that stop?
Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:27 PM

I think you could shave off one day in Leipzig and do just one day trip from there to Quedlinburg and add that day to spend one night in Weimar, with or without that detour to Eisenach.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:34 PM

P.S. If you plan to drive north from Bamberg to Erfurt via A73 and A71, beware of the infrared speed cameras IN the long tunnels in the Suhl region. You can't see them and can't see them flash, and there are several in those tunnels. You either obey the limit or you can run up 6 or 8 tickets in a row.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
a definite yes to Naumburg, and another to Leipzig. if you can try to get tickets for a cabaret - the one we went to was great fun.

also if you have any interest at all in music try to fit in at least 1/2 a day in Halle - the Handel Museum is very interesting and well laid out.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:55 PM

Weimar and Quedlinburg are musts, if you can find time to fit them in. Quedlinburg is a UNESCO site because of all the Fachwerk (something like 1500 houses, I forget the number). We spent 8 days in and around Weimar 2 yrs ago (a work-related trip). There was a lot to see there, at least enough for 2 -3 days. Make sure you see the Herzogin Anna Amalia Library. Do brush up on your German history - it will help you a lot!

Lavandula
Old May 3rd, 2013, 02:11 PM

Quedlinburg is wonderful--like something out of a fairy tale. I would also suggest that you see the Fachwerk museum, which has pictures of various buildings as they were during the Communist time and as they are now. Nothing I've ever read or seen has given me as clear an idea of the changes in East Germany as that little "museum."

I would also suggest the Spreewald. One of my favorite memories of my last trip to Germany is the half day I spent on a boat exploring the canals of the Spreewald. Just a fabulous experience.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

<i>I think you could shave off one day in Leipzig and do just one day trip from there to Quedlinburg</i>

No day trip to Dessau and Wörlitz?
Old May 3rd, 2013, 10:37 PM

Sorry, I thought you had planned one single day trip just to Dessau.
If it was planned as a combination with the Wörlitz parks and gardens, it is definetely worth a trip. If there is good weather.
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:53 AM

There is not much to see in Weimar re: Bauhaus. If you're not too much into German literature (Goethe, Schiller, etc.) then some hours there are enough.

One day for Dessau and Wörlitz is exactly right. Quedlinburg would deserve a full day, too (if you still have an hour left, then there's the Romanesque collegiate church in nearby Gernrode e.g. or the castle Falkenstein in the Harz mountains http://www.falkenstein-harz.de/verze...p?mandat=39427). Halle deserves a full day, too.

I could give you enough to do around Görlitz for two weeks. You mentioned Bautzen, then there's Zittau with the famous Lenten Cloths and the historic museum in the former Franciscan monastery. Cistercian Abbey St. Marienthal. Herrnhut with the evangelic Brüdergemeine (museums, church, cemetery). Oybin with castle/monastery ruins on the mountain, the cute parish church, the steam train from Zittau. Löbau with cast-iron tower on the mountain, Schminke house by Hans Scharoun.

On the drive from Görlitz to Cottbus you'll certainly visit Bad Muskau with the famous park, right?

Meissen is always worth a couple of nights. There's plenty to see and do in the town itself. Paddle steamers run to Diesbar-Seusslitz along the Saxon Wine Road (Fri-Sun), buses run back. Do a wine tasting there or just have lunch with a glass of local wine, see the parish church and the nice gardens of the Baroque manor (which is in need of restoration, sadly). Have you been to hunting castle Moritzburg? If not, it's a must. And Radebeul? Wine tasting at Schloss Wackerbarth, see the (small) castle Hoflössnitz museum (also wine related), walk along the vineyards and try some wine here and there, possibly do a steam train ride to Moritzburg. Nossen, a small town west of Meissen, is also worth seeing - castle, monastery Altzella (mostly ruins). Freiberg would be worth a day trip, too. Between Leipzig and Meissen are nice towns also - Wurzen, Oschatz - both worth a couple of hours. Or castle Mildenstein in Leisnig.

Between Meissen and Görlitz you could also visit the towns Kamenz (churches with Gothic carved altars), Pulsnitz (famous for its gingerbread), Cistercian Abbey St. Marienstern, Baroque manor Rammenau with beautiful garden.
Old May 4th, 2013, 01:04 AM

glad you jumped in, Ingo.. too bad OP does not have time for an overnight in Quedlinburg and a ride with the steam trains through the Harz mountains..
Old May 4th, 2013, 05:35 AM

I'll second Pegontheroad's recommendation for a visit to the Spreewald. When we lived in Berlin, each summer we made a trip to Luebbenau to rent kayaks (more like canoes) to paddle along the Spreewald. It seemed that most of the Germans took rides on boats which served food and drinks, but we liked being able to paddle through the scenic areas which were too narrow for the boats--so pretty and so peaceful.

Here is where we rented our boats: http://www.bootsverleih-richter.de/
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:06 AM

I'll second Pegontheroad's recommendation for a visit to the Spreewald.>

I third Pegontheroad's recommendation of a punt ride in the Spreewald - go to Lubenau - right near the train station you board small boats punted around by guys, going thru narrow canals - Germans are all drinking beer and saipping Schnapps - the boat even stops are a waterside pub. A really fun thing to do.
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. I see that those blank days will be used up with no great effort.