Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How does this 9-night itinerary look for a 1st timer? Also, cost questions.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks. I posted yesterday, but spent the night firming up plans a bit more. Here is my idea for a 9-night intinerary. Please note that I am pregnant, and will be around 5.5 months at the time of travel. I am phyiscally fit (so feel comfortable with hiking, stairs, etc) but I don't want to cram too much into our itinerary. We are first-time European travelers and want to experience what it feels like to be part of a community rather than rush around and view as much art, etc as we can.

Thursday, September 3rd: night flight from ATL
Friday, September 4th, mid-afternoon: arrive in Rome

Friday, September 4th - Monday, September 7th: Rome, see the Vatican, tour a few famous sites/art museums (still firming this up). Stay somewhere in Central Rome.

Monday, September 7th - Saturday, September 12th: Five nights in Positano at an apartment. We will NOT rent a car, so will rely on the bus system and boat system to visit the other Amalfi Coast towns, Capri, Ischia, Pompeii. Spend time sightseeing, relaxing, shopping, EATING, and boating.

Saturday, September 12th: return to Rome
Sunday, September 13th: depart for home

I realize I am probably killing die hard sightseers with my lax itinerary, but I really want to enjoy this trip and not feel like it's a race. Will I regret not packing in more? We are very big boaters and hikers, so I think the Amalfi coast will suit us.

Regarding cost, we are going during high season, over a US holiday week (Labor Day). Clark Howard would be horrified by me, but my dates are very fixed due to work. Is $700 a decent fare? We would have one stop on the way there and non-stops on our return. I am figuring a total trip budget of around $5000 for nine nights in budget accomodations (staying at a Summer in Italy property on Amalfi coast). Does that seem about right for a moderate trip?
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:56 AM

Sounds like a lovely trip. Rome is such an interesting city and it feels like every time you turn a corner there is something there, a church, a fountain, a square, a museum, a historic building, so a little unstructured wandering is still very enjoyable.

You can always add more to your plans when you are there, depending on how you feel and what you want to do, so don't worry about having plenty of free time at this stage. I like to keep things very open when I travel as sometimes you just spot something interesting, or find out about something when you are there. You won't get bored.
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:13 AM

Most museums in Italy are closed on Monday. Vatican Museums close on Sunday instead.
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:16 AM
LJ

Usually, I open this sort of thread with a mix of admiration and trepidation. How do folks get the energy? why do they want to punish themselves this way when they are supposed to be on holiday? and then I do NOT repsond because, clearly, my relaxed method of dawdling along doesn't suit all.

But your itinerary is, IMHO, sane, sensible and will afford you a wonderful introduction to a country I know and love and went to live in very happily after 6 holiday visits that just didn't let me see enough of it... (We will go back and spend another year there someday soon-without a car, because you can do happily without one).

Specifically, your fare is excellent, your budget is just fine and if you are getting good deals on accom. you will have enough left over to eat very well/buy excellent gifts to bring back. I understand from friends that live there that the economy is feeling the pinch and there are bargains to be had. Try venere.com for Rome hotels...check out the Hotel Sonya, if they have deals, it s great little place and near the "right side" of Termini for your train ride to Amalfi and back. It is less glamourous than, for example, the Spanish Steps, but you will save on taxis and it is clean and quiet, right across from the Opera House and close to restaurants that serve genuine Roman citizens (not just tourists, like Piazza Navona et al.)

For your trip and your baby: tante auguri!
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Regarding Rome, I am very confused about what constitutes a "good" area. I understand there is a nice and a not-so-nice neighborhood near Termini. Do these neighborhoods have different names? Hotel Sonya looks lovely, but it may be a tad bit over my desired budget. I'd like to look for similar hotels in the same neighborhood, if possible. Thanks - I've just added it up and flights + accomodations appear to be around $3000 w/o spending.

Is $400 a reasonable amount to estimate for transportation during our trip (public transport only)? How much are tours typically - Vatican, etc? Can good dinners be found for under $40 US?
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:15 AM

If you have googleearth, it's a great place to check out places. There are even 360 degree bubbles, where you can see street level. My general rule about staying near a train station is, go out front door and go straight ahead, or turn left or right. Never turn again and go behind the terminal. If you click on hotel icons on googleearth it will often bring up reviews. You can also search businesses with key words "hotel" or "B&B"
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:21 AM

My now husband and I got engaged in Rome so perhaps I am biased but I think its a beautiful city with lots to see and learn so I hope you have a great time.

Regarding neighborhoods, we stayed on the Via Veneto which is lovely and quiet, an easy walk to the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps. However, if I planned it again, I would maybe try to stay around the Pantheon area - it is a bit more lively with lots to do. My family stayed at the Alberto del Senato which was literally right on the Pantheon square and was relatively inexpensive (considering its location).

I probably would steer clear of staying very close to the train station for the first Rome stop, just because in my opinion it is nicer to get deeper into town and away from the transport and tourist traps. The taxis are metered (make sure you look for this when you get in them!) so it will be clear what you are paying to get to and from the station.

Regarding dinner prices, do you mean $40 per person US? If so, then yes I think you can definitely find this. $40 per couple will be a bit tougher, especially considering the EURUSD rate is currently 1.3361 so its only about 30 euros. Good food, yes. But maybe not full service dinners with alcohol.

Have fun and enjoy both places! Positano and all of Amalfi is just beautiful.
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

I am pregnant, so alcohol will be at a bare minimum. I will likely indulge in a glass of wine here and there, but it won't be the free-for-all it would be in my non-prego state. I did mean $40 for two (I eat mostly vegetarian), but $60 is reasonable as well. We tend to do small cafes and bakeries for breakfast, so I imagine those costs will be low. Having a kitchen in Amalfi will save us a ton.
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:41 AM
LJ

The part of Termini that the Hotel Sonya is in is fine...as the previous poster (wisely) stated this is straight ahead of the train station exit...straight behind is a bit dicey (though not terrible-its where most of the B&B's are and if you really need to budget, thats where the bargains are).

What is your budget for Rome hotel (I ask because unless the Sonya rates have gone WAY up, which is possible, it WAS a budget-wise choice...areas like the Via Veneto are likely to be way more expensive). But do try Venere.com and priceline et al.

$400 for both of you for travel s/b fine. Although you do not need to book ANYTHING train/buswise in advance, you can figure out specifics of budgeting for your Amalfi stint on Trenitalia's and SITA's websites (yes, there is an English version, just click the flag).

Rachel is right about the meal budget...you will have a tough time if its $40 per couple as opposed to per person.

However, you have an apartment on the Amalfi, right? so you can cook (or assemble) food yourself. That will help. Even in Rome you can keep costs down with pizza and gelato for supper, picnics with porchetta and fruit, lunches in the cafeterias that office workers frequent, etc.
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:58 AM

If you want to go budget, consider a convent like Fraterna Domus, which is very well-located and has rooms with private bathrooms (nice when you are pregnant).
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Not so worried about the meal budget, just more curious than anything. We will probably do a budget dinner here and there, but will likely indulge most nights. I just want to know what a mid-priced dinner in a local trattoria will set us back. Expectations and all that good stuff.

Thanks for the recommendations on Rome. I would like to find something in the $100-$120/night range.
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Another question for you experienced travelers. We have two options on air for our arrival. We could get a direct, but due to work the connections fit our schedule better. We want to leave Thursday NIGHT, not afternoon.

The first is ATL-Venice-Rome. The Venice-Rome connection is thru Alitalia.

The second option is ATL-Paris-Rome. The Paris-Rome connection is via Air France.

Both arrive at approximately the same time. Are either Alitalia or Air France generally more dependable?
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:14 AM

I like your itinerary. You can take your time and enjoy. As nona1 says, you can always add more if you want. There are always things to do in both places, you will not be bored. We spent 4 days in Amalfi coast but we could do longer, it was a bit rushed. Enjoy your trip!
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:15 AM

For Rome B&B try bbrosmini.it. I don't usually recommend places I haven't stayed myself, but I know many people who stay here and say it's a gem. It's 3 blocks from the main train station just off Via Cavour (via rosmini). It's on the 4th floor, and you get an entry key. Breakfast is by voucher at a nearby cafe. If it makes you feel any better, I finally have a chance to try it, and booked some rooms for September. Rate was E100 for a double room. I think i'll be happy.
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:17 AM

From reviews on here it appears that Air France is better then Alitalia.There have been some very negative comments regarding Alitalia. You should be able to find them by using the search function.Also we really enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Smeraldo in Rome. It is located in a little alley near The Piazza Navona and The Pantheon and 1/2 block to Campo di Fiori.The bus runs about 1 block from the hotel with easy access to all of Rome.The price was reasonable.If you do stay there do not take the breakfast as it is not worth the 7 euro they charge for it. Instead there is a wonderful bakery right across thw side street of the hotel. I suggest you go to tripadvisor for hotel information,reviews.I've used tripadvisor for years to find hotels and I have never been disappointed.
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:26 AM

I forgot to mention that we have stayed near the Termini and even out the front door it is still not all that great.I would not stay there again as I prefer to be more in the middle of things and the neighborhood really was nasty although not frightening for us.I was raised in Chicago so can deal with iffy areas but I was much happier late at night in the Piazza Navona,Pantheon area.
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:36 AM
LJ

Alw: you hotel budget for Rome is VERY low...the Hotel Smeralda, for example referenced above is approximately double the cost of the Hotel Sonya that you found pricey.Frankly, at $100 a night you will have a tough time even on the downside of Termini in a B&B.

A convent might work for you and they are perfectly adequate; must make sure you request and are confirmed for a private bath.
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback on Rome hotels. I really have no clue and my estimate was just that - an estimate. Hotel Sonya would not break the budget at all, but I prefer to save when I can, particularly since we won't be at our hotel very much in Rome.
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:13 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm surprised you aren't flying non-stop Delta from Atlanta to Rome.

Some friends had an unpleasant experience with Hotel Sonya and they didn't think the location was very good.

As for convents, most are twin beds if that matters to you. Sants Sofia (two blocks from the forum) would be about 75E for a double.
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Wow - the Albergo del Senato looks amazing. Reviews of tripadvisor are great for that hotel. I like that location. Does anyone know of other hotels in that area that may be a little less? We could swing it, but it would be big splurge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -