Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How does the Euro break down into smaller denominations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 07:32 AM
kathy

Are there coins smaller than a Euro -- and, if so, does each country have different ones ?? Thanks. Kathy

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 07:35 AM
euroman

Kathy, look at this website. It answers all of your questions and a lot more:<BR><BR>http://europa.eu.int/euro/html/home5.html?lang=5

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 07:35 AM
dd

.. thats like saying does the dollar break down to different denominations in different states!<BR><BR>It breaks down into cents.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 07:42 AM
ellie

I just got back from France and am looking at my basket of change. Coins are issued in 1 and 2 euro amounts and 50, 20, 10, 5, 2 and 1 cent amounts. The coins are sized by value (i.e the 1 cent is the smallest and the 50 cent the largest) which was helpful when sorting through change when making purchases.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 09:32 AM
eurofied

No, dd, it is not exactly like asking whether the dollar breaks down to different denominations in different states, because each country in the Euro zone issues currency, while each state does not. And, since Kathy asked whether each country has different coins, you could say that the answer is yes. The denominations do not change from country to country, but the coins do, because each country puts its own design on the back. This is not true of the paper currency.

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 09:34 AM
dd

I misunderstood the question then

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 09:34 AM
ted

But the REAL question is, can I watch NFL football while carrying Euro coins in my pocket?

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Christina

You can think of the coins being issued by the different EURO-zone countries like the special issue state quarters in the US. Although the Virginia and Vermont quarters look different, they have the same value and can be used interchangably.