Reload this Page >

HOW DOES ONE PRONOUNCE "Boadicea"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Fuzzbucket

The title says it all. Does anyone know how to pronounce the name of the Briton queen, Boadiciea? None of the pyhsical or Internet sources offer any pronounciation guide.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 11:01 AM
xx

two acceptable pronunciations; <BR>1)bow di see a (short i, as in did, emphasis on penultimate syllable)<BR>2)boo dik a (emphasis on first syllable)<BR>the latter seems to be more favoured these days, to the extent that a particular British quizmaster will irritatingly correct contestants who answer the former way. Its my experience that both are fine.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Fuzzbucket

Thank you very much. How kind of you. I've been wondering for some time. I recently asked an Englsih friend and she had no idea to what or to whom I was referring.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 12:01 PM
kb

Boadicea is the Roman version of her name. The Celtic (British) spelling is Boudicca and is pronounced using the second pronunciation from above.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 12:25 PM
there

How about Queen Bodacious? Easy enough.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 12:36 PM
xxx

Was there a reference to this character in the movie "An Officer and a Gentleman"?<BR><BR>Or maybe I'm confused. The exact line may have been something about "a babe... with bodacious ta-ta's"... or something like that!<BR>

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 12:56 PM
tt

TTT

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Doug Weller

The proper spelling of her name was supposedly originally Boudica. It first changed when Tacitus got it wrong, adding another 'c'. Then someone copying a manuscript in the Middle Ages put an 'a' instead of a 'u' and an 'e' instead of the 2nd 'c', easy mistakes', and the Victorian poets passed this form of the name on to us.