Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How does one get to Luxembourg. (Plane or Train)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 03:44 AM
Lisa

I am trying to get to Luxembourg. There are no direct flights from the US. I could fly into Gatewick and then take a flight to Luxembourg or I could fly into Paris and take the train (so I am told). My son uses his wheelchair so I am looking for the easiest way. Any help will be appreciated.

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 04:20 AM
wes fowler

Lisa, <BR>You're correct about there being no direct flights from the US to Luxembourg since Icelandair discontinued service. Rather than flying to Gatwick and then flying on to Luxembourg, consider flying into Brussels or Amsterdam commencing your tour from one of those cities. You could do a circular route and pass through Luxembourg by train.

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 05:01 AM
Lisa

If we start in Amsterdam and then go to belgium and then luxembourg could we take a train back to amsterdam. Could we do this route by train? I was really looking into the high speed train system. I haven't found any info on the trains in Luxembourg other than there are not as advanced as say Belgium.

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 05:46 AM
elvira

Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg (Benelux countries) are nice, small countries in a neat package. Travel via train is very easy among the three; picture travel among the New England states IF they had a good rail system! The Luxembourg railway site is: <BR>http://www.cfl.lu/ <BR>It's so easy, that if you get on the wrong train, you're not that far away (I once got on the train to Brussels i/o Amsterdam; no big deal, I just switched itineraries and lost NO time). <BR>Definitely fly into Brussels or Amsterdam if you can; if you fly into Paris, you can either Thalys-train to Brussels, or head east, then north, to Luxembourg via regular train.

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 06:47 AM
Don

Luxair began flying nonstop between Newark and Luxembourg this Spring. Service is seasonal and ends on October. Prices are quite reasonable, as low as $300rt+taxes. They are leasing a CityBird (Belgian airline) 767 to operate the route. Contact info can be found at www.luxair.lu or www.flyluxair.com.

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 08:25 AM
Lisa

I e-mailed luxair and they said they are going to end service in October. Do they start again in the summer. There prices are really good and that's what got me interested in going to Luxembourg in the 1st place.

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 04:02 PM
wes fowler

Lisa, <BR>Belgium introduced the first train line in Europe back in the early 1800s, about the same time as did Great Britain. Belgium now has the densest rail network of any European country. It also has the most comprehensive variety of rail passes I've ever seen: for families, for children, for seniors, for those under 26, for students, for the handicapped, for weekend travel, beach travel; you name it, Belgium seems to have it. You might also want to look into the Benelux pass which allows discounted travel in Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands. Assuredly you can start at any major point, Brussels, Liege, Amsterdam, Luxembourg city and do a circular route returning to your starting place.

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 07:41 AM
Don

Lisa, I don't know if Luxair will fly from/to US next year or not. This Summer was their first time crossing the Atlantic. I'd say contact them via email again and ask. Please post what you find out for us--could help others cosidering Luxembourg next Summer!

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 02:14 AM
Lisa

I e-mailed luxair and they will not be continuing there flights from the USA to Luxembourg. The reason was financial. Just to let everyone know.