Search

How do you get some sleep on the plane

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you get some sleep on the plane

Hi

I'm looking for ideas on how I can get some shut eye on a long haul flight. I don't want to take pills and I don't want to use noise reduction headphones. I have read the posts here on alcohol, eating, exercise etc. My main problem is the noise from the engine (I know that while you can still hear it it's a good sign!). Someone told me about using special travel earplugs and that seating position is important. We always sit on the wing seats (no, the ones inside the plane not those allocated for frequent flyer points!) which apparently are the noisiest. Any suggestions for air travel earplugs if they exist and where to sit to minimise noise? Thanks for that.

Zzzzzzzzzzzz
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:14 AM

Hate to tell you but in my limited experience, First Class is where you will find the least noise and the best seats offering you that "position."

Why don't you want to take something to help you sleep? It isn't as if you are going to realistically become addicted to it. On my recent overnight to Gatwick I used Melatonin for the first time and it really worked and made a BIG difference in the next day.
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:06 AM

Sit in the middle of the plane and watch a poor rated movie. Keep the sound down. You will fall asleep.
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:16 AM

Oh, Wally, I really wish that worked...the airlines could make another fortune.
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:21 AM

I never sleep on planes. Just take plenty of reading material
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:29 AM

Don't try to sleep, just keep your mind active & hopefully at some point you'll lose interest & fall asleep - which is generally the point the cabin crew start handing out meals
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:55 AM

"Sit in the middle of the plane and watch a poor rated movie"
In my experience, if I start watching a terrible movie I always end up staying awake till the end. But when I try watching a great film I've always wanted to see, I fall asleep in seconds and only wake up when the credits start rolling. Murphy's law!

One way to try and get some sleep on the plane is to make sure you are exhausted when you board, by getting minimum sleep the night before. Of course it can be counter-productive, but it works for me! (a glass of red wine with dinner helps too)
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:14 AM

If you plan to take melatonin or any other drug, try it out before your trip. I found that taking melatonin gives me night terrors.

A sleep mask will raise your melatonin levels as even low light levels will reduce natural melatonin production in most people.
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:21 AM

2 international units of shiraz (or generic equivalent) followed by three international units of single malt. Ensure bottle of water in hand... commence snoring !
Works for me !!
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:38 AM

If you don't want to take pills then enjoy that engine noise. If you change your mind then take 10-20 mg temazepam washed down with a double Drambuie - works a treat! (but also have plenty of water beforehand, an aspirin and wear some airline stockings if you're over 35). This is a lot cheaper than 1st class!
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:45 AM

This is interesting considering all the advice about drinking plenty of water and no alcohol in order to prevent jet lag....but if you actually sleep then who cares?

these days I find I have "jet lag" after I return home (westbound) from Europe more than I experience it when I arrive in Europe..go figure.
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:35 AM

I'm with Intrepid on the jet-lag issues. I get it once I'm back West, in the States. I also think it has something to do with adrenalin levels being peaked and then "pop"...drained!

Otherwise, if anytone ever does find a fool-proof way to sleep...I want to know it.

Last flight over, I actually got comfortable and was just dozing off when a fellow passenger with the tiniest bladder imaginable started his getting up and going to the "loo"..and every time he's whack into me with his hips...sheesh. Watched some horrible movie with Jessica Parker...
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:34 AM

I had never ever drank alcohol on an airplane, but on my last trip I did just that. Well, I had 2 before i boarded and one more when I was in the air...and I fell asleep!!!
I have NEVER slept on an international or domestic flight in my life. I felt fine later too.
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:43 AM

" a fellow passenger with the tiniest bladder imaginable started his getting up and going to the "loo"

Not a tiny bladder but an enlargened prostate, I would imagine. For the next time: If the guy is 50+ and he does that, just suggest that you will change places with him. I assure you, by doing that you will make one man very happy. Ah, it is so easy to make 50+ men happy ;o)

worldinabag, I just use normal old-fashioned ear plugs (ones that are stuffed into the ear), a sleep-mask, a blown neck-support, and a blanket that the airlines provides. And contrary to all advice I swallow three small bottles of wine. And no eating except breakfast the next morning.
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have never slept on a plane in my life.

If you don't want to use medication, and don't naturally fall asleep, I'm not sure what we can suggest.

Sometimes I use the plane/movie headphones and listen to the various radio programs which kind of dulls the other sounds on the plane.

Maybe check Travelsmith or Magellen online for special plane earplugs?
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:55 AM

Elina, good idea if he had been sitting in my row. He was a row behind and had t sit with his lady-wife who, clearly, also was afraid of flying.
Someday I'll be sooooo blase' I'll sleep away ...
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:43 AM

i have a little secret. Many airlines do not allow you to reserve the first row of coach on the two side to accomodate handicap passengers. I get to the airport early to make sure i am first to change my seat, assuming its available, because the fold out trays are far enough in front of me that i can actually bend over and put my head down on my forearms and sleep great for hours. you could bring a small pillow to do the same i suppose but i travel light.
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:28 AM

I inflate my neck pillow, put on my sleep mask, and turn on my noise cancelling headphones and I can usually get a few hours of sleep. I greatly prefer the headphones to earplugs, since they cut out the engine noise but you can still hear announcements.

I think eating carbs before getting on the plane and then not eating again until breakfast is served also helps.
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:47 AM

" I greatly prefer the headphones to earplugs, since they cut out the engine noise but you can still hear announcements. "

If you hear announcements how can you sleep? I keep my seatbelt closed when I sleep so I donīt have to hear even the "fasten your seatbelts" announcement. And "We are starting the tax free sell" and "We start serving dinner" are the kind I donīt even want to hear.
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:00 AM

It is possible to store your sleep. Get lots of sleep before the trip and plan on doing an allnighter on the plane. Watch movies or read all night. Before arriving, drink strong coffee. One should be able to go 24 hours without sleep--if well rested at the beginning of the journey.

I'm always excited about going to Europe, and since it is a night flight, I have trouble sleeping. Have you thought of having some drinks and "passing out?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -