Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How do you get back to reality after a trip to Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went, I'm back and now I'm having a hard time getting back into the swing of things. I have severe post Italy depression. I have SO much to do, but all I want to do is play at the forums, look at my photos and get another trip on the books. Help!

How do you get back to reality?
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 10:51 AM

I had that same affliction when we returned from Italy in September. The cure that worked for me was to start making arrangements for our next trip there in 2010! I think that is my version of "hair of the dog!"
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

I hear you!

And I believe if there's a will, there's a way. (that mentality scares the cr*p out of my DH! ...he knows how I operate!)
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 11:10 AM

Very slowly. I try to ease out of it, keep eating/drinking things I did while on the trip, trying to replicate recipes, using and wearing things I bought,listening to music from wherever I've been...I also tend to go to museums and concerts and exhibitions and markets more than usual, the way I would if I were traveling (which is easy here in DC, but sometimes I forget about all the great stuff we've got here).
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 11:26 AM

I was the exact same way! My body was still out of whack from the jet lag. I read a few blogs about Rome and by far, my favorite is from Shelley who used to live in Rome but is now in the States. Her site is http://www.reallyrome.com. It's well written, very funny and talks about her life in Italy. I highly suggest it! I have even gone to our local international grocery to get the aranciata (sp?) because it was so good and reminded me of Fanta in Italy! You'll get back into the swing of things, I promise!
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 11:53 AM

Well part of my heart is still in Italy, it always has been ever since my first visit there in the 70's. I love Italy..guess that is obvious. But I also know the negatives too due to so many friends and relatives by marriage in Italy or from Italy. So I remind myself of the negatives when I wish I could live there. Does that help? A bit. But I wish I could afford to go to Italy for 90 days every year, sigh.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 11:56 AM

I don't think I ever actually return to reality. I start planning my next trip, but usually I have the airfare booked for the next trip before I depart on the present trip. If you stay away from reality and dream of your next trip, life is much better.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 12:22 PM

It doesn't really help, but subscribing to ItalianNotebook.com and Eternallycool.net gives you a daily dose of Italiana. The cool in Eternally cool refers to Rome, the Eternal City. The other has stuff from all over Italy.

What I like about them is finding out about interesting off-beat places to seek out next trip.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 12:22 PM

Keep telling yourself...you are blessed that you had this incredible adventure and you will tap into them every chance you get. Naaaaaaaaaa...who am I kidding, it's hard. It'll take time. Keep checking out your beautiful photos and speaking to friends about it all.
Cook...and write some more.
Best,
S-
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 12:26 PM

Is not easy for me either..I came back 3 weeks ago from Bella Roma,my body is here but I left my heart there;Rome is my beloved city of birth.

How I cope?During these years that I left my city I learned to do it because my kids,granchildren and dear Hubby live here in the US,therefore,is a question of necessity .

I had two choices, learn to be happy here far away from my country and siblings or feel miserable and homesick all the times.
I choose Happiness.

Adventures seeker,listen to music, read books about Italy, get some good Italian recipes on the internet, and plan another trip soon.
Buona Fortuna..

Loveitaly, I hope that someday you will be able to return to Italy even if is only for few weeks.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 12:31 PM

Once you fall in love with Italy, a part of you is always there. On the other hand, a part of Italy is always with you.

What I miss most is being in a different place where food, sounds, everything is stimulating to the senses. I will share with you what I once did. After three or four weeks being home, I still had not really adjusted. This was done totally on impulse. Had I thought about it ahead of time, I probably would not have done it, but it turned into a wonderful experience.

I walked into my HS classroom and suddenly thought, "What if I could recapture the excitement I felt when I first had a classroom? What if I had never seen this classroom before?" When the first class came in, I introduced myself as a stranger who was visiting (not a substitute) and who was there to observe and learn about them, their school, community, etc. At first they looked at me as if I was crazy or had just dropped in from another planet. Then they got into the spirit of it, told me all about what they were studying, what life was like in their small town, about their teacher (me), etc. Then they took over and taught lessons, explaining to me how their teacher taught, projects they were working on, etc.

It turned into one of the best things I ever did as a teacher. I got to be out of my routine for the day, created excitement for myself and my students, and learned a lot about how they saw me and their classes. It was so great, I did it with the rest of my classes that day. Of course, by the end of the day, my last classes had already heard about it.

So, is their anyway you can become a visitor in your own world for a day? Children love pretending. We can also do it as adults.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

One word....wow. Truly. All your posts, insights, advice gave me goosebumps.

We travelers are such a rare and passionate breed, aren't we? I'll take experience any day over material goods. I read a Fodorite write something to the tune of, "buy a leather couch or go to Paris?" ...that's a no-brainer for many of us.

This board is definitely the "Italy traveler's 12 step program". My name is Adventureseeker and I (proudly) am an addict!

Can I say it?...Love you guys!

(scatcat: booking a trip when one is in the works sounds like what the doc has ordered. <<<If you stay away from reality and dream of your next trip, life is much better.>>> Well said, my friend.)
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 01:13 PM

Start planning your next trip . . . and continue helping me with mine! (I appreciate it so much---thanks).
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Sassafrass, Your students are very lucky. Imagine how many minds you have inspired.....
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 01:36 PM

Fighting post Italy depression is hard, especially since the cuisine in the US takes some getting used to (if you're posting from there....but I guess some other English speaking countries don't have quite the food Italy does either). It eases with time and take some time to indulge in some treat you can't get in Italy.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 03:36 PM

It's been 5 years since our trip to Italy and I still daydream about it! You know those desk calendars that you tear off one page a day? I found one with pictures of Italy, so each day when I tore off a calendar page, I got to see another picture of Italy and, for a few moments, take a little vacation in my imagination. It is, indeed,a magical place.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 04:02 PM

Well, usually I just plan my next trip.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 08:08 PM

Adventureseeker, Thank you. I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but the truth is, I was the lucky one. I didn't start teaching until my mid-forties and taught only 12 years (I became ill), but it was a privilege to share life with so many wonderful young people. They inspired me everyday to want to be a better person.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 09:41 PM

Mille grazie cara kismetchimera.

I did have a "taste" of Italy today at a restaurant that has been taken over by a new owner. The service, the food and the ability to linger over the meal and the wine was very much like the restaurants in your beautiful Italy. As is the decor. So I was transported to Italy for some beautiful hours.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Sass, I wish all teachers shared the same insight as you. As the mother of a young child, that continues to be my wish.

Be well....