Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How do you carry your camera while touring Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Picture woman

I was just given a digital camera as a birthday gift that is the size of a normal 35mm camera, and plan on taking it to Europe with me this fall. I am soooooo excited about using it, but wonder how everyone carries their camera?? Shall I put it in a purse/bag (across my chest) with my other things, or should I have a money belt, and use a camera bag (would that just scream "pickpocet me! Please!?"), or what? How do you all carry your cameras on trips to Europe??

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 10:45 AM
Another Picture Woman On The Move

I wear it bandelero style across my chest, then with my purse strap crossing my chest the other way, I picture myself like a thinner Pancho Villa.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Capo

I carry two 35mm cameras, a very small Olympus for slides and a larger Pentax for prints. The Olympus always goes inside a zippered pocket in the inside of my coat and I carry the Pentax (which is not as essential) on a strap slung around my neck.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Dale

I have an elph which fits comfortably in my pants pocket. I don't think I pass for a native, tho. Ciao.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 11:40 AM
Hmm

Dale, does the elf mind being in your pants pocket?

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 11:45 AM
paris

I've tried several ways...over the shoulder just rubbed my shoulders raw/even with a comfort strap...The best to me is a vest with zippered pockets...great investment.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 11:55 AM
bruthe

Hmmm, I think you are so confused. It is not an elf that wants to get in his pants pocket, it is a fairy that wants to get in his pants. Got that straight???

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Mr. Go

You don't have to buy an APS camera (such as elph) to go the "pants pocket" route. My Olympus zoom 35mm fits very comfortably in the front pocket...and takes great shots!

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 12:34 PM
dan woodlief

When traveling, I carry my point and shoot camera in my pocket. As for my SLR cameras (sounds like the size you have), when carrying one camera, I use an over-the-shoulder type camera bag made to hold one camera and an extra lens. I wear it bandelero style. When carrying two cameras, I will either use two of these cases or use one plus a backpack for other equipment (other camera wrapped inside a washcloth for protection (yet another use for the old favorite). I don't think theft is a problem in most places as long as you keep your eyes open and keep your hands tightly on the camera and case when in heavily populated areas. If still concerned, many photogs will use a bag that looks more nondescript or even put tape all over a camera to make it look old (haven't felt that need yet).

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 12:42 PM
Art

I have a camera case that I put everything in when traveling. When exploring I carry my Cannon A1 across my chest with my digital camcorder the other way (another pauncho villa) and my Olympus Stylus in a holster on my belt with the camera also anchored to my belt. <BR>Regards, <BR>Art <BR>

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 12:47 PM
xman

You folks with the wild bandelero style camera set ups must really blend in with the natives. Domo Origato! I suppose you wear sneakers and have a big fat bill fold in the back pocket.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 12:52 PM
Pict. Woman II

Why try to blend? When I am at a tourist sight, such as the Pantheon or the Forum or Greek ruins in Sicily, I am obviously a tourist. When I go to a restaurant, I dress "designer" and still don't try to blend. I would rather be known as a beautiful, stylish American.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 12:58 PM
Jean Valjean

In a small back pack, along with everything else.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Marc David Miller

Take a look at Billingham bags: <BR> <BR>www.billingham.com <BR> <BR>They are made in England, are not cheap ($125-$200 for most "normal" sizes) but will last forever. I have beat up mine for about three years, friends have had theirs for maybe 5-10 years, and they hold up exceptionally well. Their main virture is that they allow you to grab the camera quickly (don't miss a shot!) but don't scream "CAMERA BAG--NIKON/CONTAX/PENTAX/CANON INSIDE" like most others proclaim. Large photo stores like www.bhphoto.com and www.adorama.com carry them.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 06:10 PM
Felicia

Good question. What I do is this: <BR>I take a plastic bag (like from a store where I purchased a magazine or something) and I put my tiny purse & camera in it and walk around like that. It makes it more difficult for pickpockets and purse snatchers. <BR>

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 06:17 PM
dan woodlief

One note about cameras and blending in. While you will likely be recognized as a tourist, let's remember that there are a lot of European photographers too. Heck, I walk around with a camera around here sometimes too. I certainly don't care whether I blend or not if it means not getting the picture. Now, of course when I enter a restaurant or an "iffy" neighborhood, I try to make the camera less conspicuous.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 08:33 PM
ALW

I just got a new camera (SLR APS) and am thrilled with the bag I found for it. It's a backpack, and it is padded (so I can drop it from small heights [not that I try to], with the added bonus that if any of those mysterious backpack slashers try to go to work on it, they'll get nothing for their troubles), with moveable dividers so that I can carry my camera, an extra lens, my filters, extra film, extra batteries, my wallet, my cell phone, compressed air, lens cloths, my keys, my sunglasses, my business card holder, my manual, my datebook, my metro map and cards (etc.), and still have tons of free space. And yet it's tiny, tiny, tiny (I would guess at most a foot tall and five inches deep). The SINGLE complaint I have is that (esp. when it's packed for travel and not specifically for sightseeing) it's a little hard to get the camera out for spontaneous action shots (this is easily solved by having a patient travel partner who doesn't mind wearing the pack for you ). <BR> <BR>Oh, and it's waterproof. <BR> <BR>For a little camera (without the big lenses, etc.), I just carried it with he hand strap around my wrist inside my spacious coat pockets. <BR> <BR>Happy snapping!

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 09:36 PM
DeeInLB

We have a Sony digital camera that is fatter than most 35mm cameras (so can't go the pockets route). I carried it across my chest in a cool little travel purse from Travelsmith. Had no problems with pickpockets or slashers or anyone else!

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 04:06 AM
xxx

My husband's digital Nikon has a camera case that fits on your belt. He used it on a recent trip. It was handy, always with him, had a place for extra batteries and "film" cartridge and if you wear a jacket or sweater over it, it is unobtrusive.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Mika

I think picpockets prefer money to cameras.I have had my purse stolen twice, but never my camera. If you leave it somewhere they usually bring it after you. Try not to drop if, that is the biggest danger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -