Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How do you book a reservation @ a tiny place?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Kelly

I'm looking for suggestions for making reservations in non-english speaking countries, at small hotels that don't use email or fax? I tried calling some small ones, in Spain--recommended from "Let's Go." Only one or two could speak english. I know broken Spanish and I could say my 'speal' to them, but I couldn't understand them. <BR><BR>Does anyone have recommendations for ensuring a reservation is made with correctness, in these small places?

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 12:04 PM
xxx

Find someone who's fluent in the language of the country you're dialing and ask them to help you with the telephone call.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 12:05 PM
m

That's a tough one. Can you find someone who speaks decent Spanish to make the call for you?

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 12:19 PM
wes fowler

I much prefer to make reservations in writing rather than by phone and to request written confirmation. I've found that the Karen Brown guidebooks for foreign countries list a form letter in English and that country's language. I've used that letter successfully in those countries where I have no language fluency. I usually write in both the foreign language and in English and invariably get a response in both languages.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 12:22 PM
Kelly

Wes, do you send a self-addressed stamped envelope with the letter? I'm worried that these small places may not want to pay international postage to write back a written confirmation. <BR><BR>Also, do you MAIL your credit card info to hold the info or what? Thanks!

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 12:26 PM
janis

When you write overseas enclose an international reply coupon. They are available at any post office for $1. Then they use that to send their response back. You don't stick the coupon on you SAE - just include it in the envelope.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Christina

I don't, I wouldn't want to stay in a place with no FAX and no email. It isn't exactly the size, it's the caliber/level of the hotel, I'd say. I've stayed in very small hotels in France, even B&Bs, and they had FAXes and email. I just don't see why you'd bother with mail which can take weeks just for a hotel reservation. I can see that some small non-commercial places might not have a website or email, but no FAX? In fact, I've found many small places now prefer email as it's much cheaper than FAXes (I can get replies by email and not to FAXes). Unless you have a fluent Spanish speaker nearby, I just wouldn't even try to do it... unless for some reason it is literally the only place in an area you must stay overnight. But if they can't speak English, I doubt if correspondence with them in English is going to help and will take weeks and I wouldn't count on it. I don't really think people should try to send letters in foreign languages that they don't know, by copying a form. You won't understand any reply and it's too confusing and you may not understand what you are asking. I've stayed in rather unsophisticated low-budget places on Caribbean islands that had FAX and emails even.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 02:50 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

This must be my day to concur with Christina. I have never seen a place I would choose to stay without even a fax.<BR>They all use faxes, and many have email now.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 05:21 PM
Bob

No fax? Do not stay there. You can find too many great small places in Europe at reasonable prices that have a fax and most have email whick is even better. I just completed a trip and all reservations were handled by email. Quick and easy.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 08:27 PM
John g

Im in total agreement with Christina, as usual. You have to wonder about a business that is so backward that they have no email or fax in this day and age.

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 04:37 AM
elaine

Kelly<BR>I haven't traveled in Spain but my first reaction was the same as the more recent ones--if no fax or email, (and someone could call for you and make sure they don't actually have either), then I'd forget it. Any place that wants to do business these days "ought" to have a fax or email, even if it's only connected to their regular phone line, and even if the place is only a B&B. Perhaps they are seeking guests from more local origins. They can conduct their business as they like, but so can you and go elsewhere.

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 10:09 AM
Kelly

The only reason I didn't initially hesitate to look into a small place, is because I live in a small, quaint town, myself. Most of the cute, inexpensive, cultural places don't use fax or email.<BR><BR>I am on a really tight budget in Spain, and I was hoping these small places would be more affordable. I require it to be clean and safe, but I don't need luxury or fall-at-your-feet service.<BR><BR>Just because they don't 'cater' to foreign guests, doesn't bother me. They might be more enjoyable if these are the places real Spaniards stay.

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 10:53 AM
Christina

I sort of understand your point, Kelly, except this is just an overnight stay, is it really worth the hassle? In fact, I do differ with you a little bit on some of your points -- I have stayed at small places that cater to locals in France and they do have FAX and emails, they may not have websites or be in English lang guidebooks or even speak English fluently, but they do have FAXes and emails. I've been in small inns in Provence where I was the only American, or even Englishspeaking foreigner, and they had a FAX and email as French people use those, also. So, it's not the cultural or foreign thing, it's the caliber of place--at least that's my position, and I'm sticking to it. Small family-run B&Bs and 2-star hotels are not luxury places and have no extraordinary services; I think you just have the idea that only expensive luxury places have FAX and email, it's just not true nowadays. It is possible a small very cheap place that only wants locals (and I mean very local, not even across their own country) will have nothing but a phone, but that is really unusual in my experience. However, it is true I haven't traveled in Spain. It sounds like this place is for budget travelers who don't want to make reservations and Let's Go is proposing you stop by if you are in that town and see if they have a room. I think some of those type of guidebooks are geared towards the drop-by traveler.

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 03:52 PM
Chrissy

One important thing to remember about email is that it isn't secure unless you are encrypting it, which most normal mail programs do not. So, I'd be careful about sending credit card info by email. People can easily grab the info off the network and use it. In planning a trip recently, I've emailed to ask about availability and rates, and then faxed my credit card info to confirm.

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 05:54 PM
Graziella

Is there any place no matter how tiny ....without a fax....???????<BR><BR>I guess NOt.