Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How Do You All Write Such Great Trip Reports?

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:21 AM
dln

I have read such wonderful trip reports, both short and long, and I am amazed not only at the enthusiasm and pleasure that is conveyed, but also all the DETAIL. How do you guys do it? Do you carry notepads and pen and jot things down at breakfast, lunch or dinner stops? Or do you go to internet cafes sometimes during the day? Or do you save all the notes for the end of the day before tucking in for bed? It seems that every report has so much great stuff in it that you couldn't possibly recall all the details when you're back home from the trip! Or is that what you do on the long plane ride home--scribble away?

I'd like to know because I have gadoodles of info that I have culled from all your TRs and I feel the need to return the favor. But I don't want to traipse around Italy looking like Brenda Starr, roving reporter, notebook in hand (although I would not be adverse to any of Brenda's adventures!).

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good morning, darlin dln~
While I would never think that I write good trip reports, I will tell you how I manage to remember mine for a report.
I have an itinerary typed out that has where our reservations are and what I want to do that day. At the end of the day, before sleep, I will make my notes on those days, how the food was, what it was, that sort of thing. Also adding days impressions. I always forget prices and important facts, mine are usually thoughts.
There are a few people who are just brilliant at writing and they are the ones who could probably write a lovely report about their walk down the street to the supermarket..should I name names?
Mina, StCirq , Beatchick, Bookchick, Elvira, bless her heart, I miss her! Degas! whether they be true or not
Patrick writes good newsy reports with lots of info..who else..my mind is fading ......
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:47 AM

I always take a steno notebook along on trips. Then every night or so, I write down my thoughts of what we have done. I find it a nice way to use up some down time before we head out to dinner, or as a good wind down for the end of the night.

I keep the notebook in the car with me, so I can note mileage and other oddities - for example, all the different signs in Ireland and what they would mean back home. Another thing I mark is driving time , to go with mileage, and if need be , ferry charges.

If we stop along the road for pictures, sometimes I will jot down where we were, so that when they get developed I have a clue what it is of .

I don't write everything down all the time, and sometimes it is just enough to jar a memory, but I find it is worth a few moments to record memories that will last a lifetime.

Another thing I do is, as soon as I get my pictures back , I put them in an album and mark what they are. I try to do this within a day or so of getting them back. - This serves a multifold purpose
1) It gets done!
2) I still remember where everything was taken
3) Others looking at my book, can tell where things are, without me always standing over them
4) Writing my trip report later is easier, because the pictures are documented and remind me of more details.

Debbie
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:49 AM

DIN
Hey, you just wrote an amazing itinerary!!!
My husband's a writer..so note-taking is a way of life for him. He jots things down on a small pad & then in the evening he spends a few minutes filling in the blanks.
When I travel without him...I'm forced to do the same thing...but if I don't take the time I regret it later. ESPECIALLY now that I'm doing this "Fodor's thing"!!!
But I always have time for taking photographs!!
Oh...one last mention!!...Statia's Italy report w/ photos has been very fun reading!!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:55 AM

DLN
I'm not sure whether I'm included because I have written long reports and had many posters tell me they enjoyed them but others tell me they yawn yawn yawned through them. (Why they continued to read them I'll never know).
In answer to the other bit though, I carry a journal and note things sometimes during the day at a leisurely coffee or lunch stop but mainly in the resting hour in the hotel before going out for dinner.
I also keep receipts and leaflets for restaurants and attractions.
Kavey
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:01 AM

Thanks, Bailey. I'll be in touch about Ireland/Scotland.

Dln,

Just my own personal tips. I diligently write in my travel journal every time we make a cafe stop during the day. I agree with Debbie about writing just enough notes to jar the memory when you return home.

I also bring along a manila envelope for each day of travel, date it, and stuff the receipts, business cards, brochures, etc. for the day in each. Sorting them daily makes it easier to refer to those items when doing the report.

I also strongly agree with Debbie on the photo album issue. I do the exact same thing for the same reasons...sometimes before I'm even finished unpacking!

I think that other than trip reports serving the purpose of your readers and fellow travelers, it also serves as a great memory for yourself later in life. Something to pass on the grandchildren to encourage them to travel!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:02 AM
rex

Here's an answer reflecting my gadget-oriented nature - - check out the new IO pen from Logitech. Absolutely amazing if it works anywhere close to how they say it will. It does require special paper (available in spiral notebooks, post it notes and day-planner size pages). It reads what you are writing into its own microscopic memory-chip - - ready for you to download (a small straightforward docking station - - connect to any USB port/device).

It works by the fact that the paper is micro-imprinted with literally billions of dots in specific patterns (essentially invisible to the naked eye) which the pen can "see" - - thus it knows down to the fraction of a millimeter where you are on the (paper) page.

I haven't bought one yet - - I am thinking about what (professional) uses I want to use it for - - and I don't know for certain how good is their handwriting recognition software (in theory, you COULD use other handwriting recognition software since it can offload either the image of the whole page or its own "text" translation of what you have written).

I'll be eager to give it a road test soon. Once I get some of the other travails of relocation behind me.

For what it's worth, dln - - I think that you'll e be surprised as to how much you can recall and write down on the flight back home. More than once, I have spent 4-6 hours writing on the trip back home. It's a great time to look back over all your pictures (readily done if you use a digital camera) and sort through receipts. Impressions a week after going somewhere are, of course, sometimes fairly different than they might be that same day or evening.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:04 AM

I carried a very small notepad on our recent family trip and wrote down all the details. My kids made fun of me but enjoyed reading the trip report later! I spent a few minutes each day making some notes and asking my family for suggestions on what to include.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:11 AM

Ok, Rex...now I know what to ask of hubby for Christmas this year! Neat!

I also saw several people walking around in Italy with a tiny microphone clipped to their collar. I assumed they were recording notes as they went along. Perhaps they were professional travel writers? I told DH that is another good route for those like me who hate hand writing vs. typing.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:14 AM

Statia, are you sure they weren't talking on phones? They have those here that are the tiniest wire and earphone, spy phones I want one too~
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:18 AM

Could have been Scarlet, but they honestly looked like they were "making notes." I should have asked like DH suggested...ha.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:19 AM

dln
I'm sure you will take whatever notes you make and turn them into a spellbinding account of your trip! I so enjoy reading everyone's trip reports on this forum and would love to post one after my trip to Italy this October, but my writing skills, compared to those of many of you Fodorites, are dismal to say the least! I know it would pale in comparison to the fabulous reports full of great information, funny situations, wonderful observations, etc. I've been reading.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:39 AM

I picked up my habit of the notebook from my Mom.
On our first trip to Disney , when I was a kid, she had a notebook journal.

When we got back we sat and read it and laughed our **** off.

Then about 15 yrs ago she went to London with HER Mom. When she got back from the airport, Dad & I read her trip journal. At one point I was laughing so hard , I couldn't breathe. It was like we were there seeing it all through her eyes. ( and that was only day 1 of her trip)

I will forever enjoy a good trip report - especially one that includes humor.

Debbie
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:50 AM
RLA

I agree with other poster's suuggestions to finalize your trip report a.s.a.p. after returning. Thoughts and info do get lost in your head over time. It was almost twenty-eight years ago that my father, sister, and I visited Hawaii and many southeastern Asian countries before settling in Indonesia for the summer where he lived and worked at the time. It was the only time I have ever written a travel journal and boy am I glad I did. I recently dug it out and read it. There were both exciting and not so exciting things I had written about that I doubt I ever would have remembered (and didn't). Even insignificant things like the fact that I played tennis every day in Indonesia. I remember playing a couple of times, but not every day!

From other more recent travels, I have pictures that I don't remember what they were. I love pictures and confess I am almost too much of a shutterbug. At least I know where they were taken since they are at least all together if not all labeled. I will change that!

I have often been criticized for being too detailed so the only trip report I have ever posted was short sans much detail for various reasons. The next time I do one, I will make it more detailed ince Fodorite's seem to enjoy the aesthetics as much as the useful information even if I am not nearly the talented writer that some of you are. You all are great, and I love reading yours. I appreciate all that is shared on this sight and it's integrity for the most part.

Above all, write trip reports even if not for public consumption, but for yourselves! When you later reflect on your memories, at least you will be able to enjoy the memories you don't remember!

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:04 AM

I do two simple things.
First, since I take a lot of photographs, I keep a general list of the photos taken, along with the dates. (I make sure that the first photo on each roll is unique enough to put that roll in its proper chronological order after developing. The first photo could be something as simple a shot of my wife in front of some building or whatever.)
Second, at the end of the day, I write general comments--along with more specifics about a particular incident or incidents that I want to remember--about what we've seen and done that day. (My notes about the photos help with the recall process.)
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:27 AM

And what wonderful photographs they are , Howard!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:33 AM

On my past four or so trips, I've usually popped into an internet cafe every other day or so and dashed off posts to a message board I've been posting on for quite some time. After only a couple days, I can usually remember most sights, restaurants or interesting things I may have eaten, and experiences, both good and bad, so I don't need to jot things down in a notebook during the day.

Writing about things while I'm still in Europe helps me to capture the feeling of the moment but I prefer to use an internet cafe since I type much faster that I write...and my penmanship is excellent when using a keyboard.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:45 AM

I carry a journal with me everywhere, and whenever I stop at a café or restaurant or to sit on a bench or whatever, I pull it out and jot down notes. At the end of the day, I fill in the blanks, and when I get home I type it all up and flesh it out.
I think when you keep a journal it makes you more observant. As I move around in my travels I'm always noting details that will later end up in my trip reports.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:53 AM

Just a note to TravelerGina, RLA, and anyone else who is hesitant to post trip reports. Please don't ever think that your trip report might be boring or too detailed. We are all admitted travelholics and enjoy reading reports from everyone!

So, post away and don't worry about your writing style. You probably both have great styles that you don't even know about!

Looking forward to reading reports from both of you, as well as Dln and everyone else who's traveling soon.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:56 AM

I have to file a T/E Report by the end of each day.The right hand page are the figures.On the left hand page are "notes", anything I want to remember.At the end of the trip I have to provide a Trip Summary.I do that on the plane home.I finalize all the notes at that time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -