how do I use my IPhone5c in Paris?

Old Sep 10th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do I use my IPhone5c in Paris?

I'm a senior new to smartphones and about to go to Paris with my IPhone5c. Verizon says I can sign up for access there for $4.99 then pay 99c/minute to call USA. (I realize I can also do it for nothing on Skype.) But here's the question: how do I actually do the dialing? When I'm calling USA on this phone, do I still dial the USA country code and then the number? And what do I dial to call someone with a French landline, like a restaurant? How about calling my American friend who has her USA smartphone with her? Exactly how would I dial her?
And will this actually all work? Thanks janeos
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 07:33 PM

You'll have to ask Verizon how their system is set up, but with the iPhone you should be able to dial the regular number and the phone will take care of making the connection for you, at least it does with T-Mobile, where calls back home are free if called from a WiFi zone, and only $0.20/minute if outside of the WiFi zone, something Verizon doesn't offer.

If your friend has an iPhone, then you can message her free of charge using the iPhone messaging system. If not, then download 'WhatsApp'.
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 07:42 PM

I think the OP simply wants to know how to place the call, not a pitch for T Mobile.

http://m.wikihow.com/Place-an-International-Call
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 07:44 PM

Or this-

http://www.howtocallabroad.com
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 08:04 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Verizon has a chart for global use by each country with details on dialing. You'll also get a text from Verizon when you enter each new country..and it gives you the instructions.
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 10:30 PM

Dear Janeos,

I am also a senior traveling with a smartphone in Europe. First is to make sure that you have airplane mode enabled, if not you may rune up incredible roaming charges. Also download Viber which permits you to call anyone as long as you are both on Wi-Fi and have Viber free of charge. I call my daughter in the USA frequently If verizon in fact only charges $4.99 for Wi-Fi access
that is the way to go. 99c a minute very wuickly adds up try to do it in other ways.

To call the USA you have to put the prefix +1 and the number

Most hotels, all Mc Donalds and many other places have free Wi-Fi
Good luck and enjoy your trip.
Old Sep 10th, 2014, 10:36 PM

Your phone behaves like a local cellphone the locals are carrying. It calls OUT like a French phone.

To call usa aaa-ppp-nnnn, e.g. (800)123-4567

either:
or
+18001234567

The 00=+ is international prefix calling from France. The next "1" is USA.

The same method applies IRRESPECTIVE of where the phone is located. e.g. calling someone else in France carrying a US numbered phone.

To call a local French number, e.g. (0)810 72 72 72

The first 0 listed as (0) is dialed when calling from France. This is exactly how a local would call a French number.

The same French number calling from the USA is
or
+33810727272
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 04:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
bookmarking
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 12:38 PM

Hi janeos,

you have a couple of options here that can have a big impact on how you use your phone, what you can do with your phone and how much it will cost.
Option 1 - sign up for the global access plan. Pros: very convenient, you keep your phone number. Cons: very expensive. Cost per call/text very expensive, data costs can go through the roof (you need to be very careful with how you use your phone).
Option 2 - put your phone in airplane mode and only enable WiFi. Basically, that makes your phone like an iPod touch. Pros: fairly simple. Cons: must use Skype/Facetime, must have access to WiFi to use
Option 3 - Install a pre-paid SIM card from a French mobile provider. Pros: very cost effective, no need to worry about using too much data, overage costs, etc... Cons: you won't have access to your regular phone number while traveling, you will need to set aside time to fine a phone shop, and you will need to put your Verizon SIM card back in your phone when you get back to the States.

I'm a big fan of option 3. I've used this method on my last few trips to the UK and Germany. For about $20, I can get all the minutes/texts/data that I could possibly need. I will pay a lot to call or text back to the US, but I usually use email/Apple Messages/Facetime on WiFi to contact people back home. Having access to cheap mobile data is a huge benefit for me; I get to use Google Maps and other travel apps. With Option 3, calling back to the States would be the same as calling the States from a French phone number. Some mobile providers may have reasonable rates for those calls, too.
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all, especially Greg who actually answered the question best. I will sign up for the Verizon global plan and pay 99 cents/minute in case of emergency; otherwise I'll Skype. I need to keep my same no. in case of family emergency.
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Greg, you seem to know all about this phone business. Is NYWoman correct that I need to keep my IPhone5c in airplane mode while out and about to avoid roaming charges? Jane
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 06:25 PM

- To make calls on the iPhone while overseas, hold down the "0" until the plus sign appears. Then dial the number you're calling starting with the country code, no need to dial 011, zeros or other enabling numbers.

- No need to stay in airplane mode, just make sure apps are closed

- Verizon now has a pay-as-you-go international plan for data as well as the $25/100 MB plan for texting, internet surfing, email. I just used the $25 plan for 3 weeks and incurred $75 of charges for fairly constant use. Just don't watch videos.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/...0pricing|36883

- Download the whatsapp app for free global texting with other whatsapp users - used by EVERYONE in Europe (and South America)
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 08:07 PM

I used the T-Mobile plan and paid nothing for a month in Spain and France, phone calls or data! WhatsApp can only be used in a WiFi zone free of charge.

Regardless of what DebitNM says, there isn't anything better for an American traveling abroad.
Old Sep 11th, 2014, 08:31 PM

So far I have used T-Mobile USA Simple Choice plan in five countries outside USA, including Canada (B.C. in my case) that someone else mentioned having problem. In all cases, my T-Mobile branded phone connected to a local roaming partner like a charm, at 3G most of the time (did not buy T-Mobile highspeed pass).
First time, I looked for a local SIM in Copenhagen as a back up. Visited four stores that chewed up one hour. Three of them didn't even offer prepaid SIM with data package. The fourth one, Telia, did offer such product but was out of stock due to heavy demand by cruise people.
That would be the last time I would hope to do the SIM hunting trip in a new country unless I plan to spend many weeks in one coutry.
This time, I arrived in Luzern around 3:30pm on Saturday. Without T-Mobile Simple Choice, I would have to use this short time before the businesses closed until Monday 9am to find a phone store that might not even offer prepaid SIM with data. Without T-Mobile Simple Choice plan, I would have been totally without cheap (no cost in my case) mobile Internet until Monday 9am. That is, 41 hours of no mobile internet access! The data APN remains T-Moile USA, and there seems to be slight lag compared to a local SIM. But the local alternative is walking around hoping to find a prepaid SIM with data, having to buy minutes/MB that may be used little. In addition, not all European prepaid SIMs roam outside the original country.
Old Sep 13th, 2014, 05:51 AM

I have to question what crosscheck said about no need to stay in airplane mode. That simply is NOT true. A great many apps do background refreshes and will use data even when 'closed'.

Here is a guide to control what apps can use data in the background:
http://www.imore.com/how-control-wha...nd-app-refresh

If you are not careful, you will run up a lot of roaming data charges. That is why I'm a big fan of installing a pay-as-you-go SIM card from a local mobile provider. It sounds complicated, but isn't that bad, and you will never have to worry about unexpected charges, and you won't have to pay outrageous fees, such as Verizon's $25/100MB of data. With my SIM card from Three in the UK, I paid about $1.60 for the same amount of data. Having full access to all the features of my iPhone while traveling was so helpful. Maps, public transportation apps, Yelp, etc... all really helped out.
I just can't understand why you would either cripple your phone or pay high fees when there is such a simple alternative.
Old Sep 13th, 2014, 06:44 AM

Instead of using the airplane mode, you can just turn off your cellular data roaming. You can still use wifi for email and other things.
Old Sep 13th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Dai

janeos: Be sure and call your provider and ask <i>them</i> how to make sure you avoid any surprises on your phone bill when you come home. Ask them about airplane mode, using your wi-fi, and how to place a call.

One thing that I didn't see on this thread is that <i>if you want to use a SIM card and place it in your iPhone, nothing will work unless your iPhone has been "unlocked".</i> Your iPhone can only be unlocked by your carrier.

The first time I went to Europe while I was still under contract with my iPhone, I also brought with me an old Razr phone that AT&T had unlocked for me. I purchased a SIM card in order to call home and put that in my Razr phone. I used my iPhone only in wi-fi zones so that I could look at my emails, find restaurants, maps, reviews on hotels, etc. By bringing my iPhone I also had all of my contacts and music and other cool stuff that I could still access. When I looked at my emails one day while on my iPhone, I saw that there was a problem back home so I used my unlocked Razr phone with the local SIM to call home. It is much cheaper than 99¢ a minute. If I had given my family my SIM phone number which was on my Razr phone, they could have called me immediately-but they would have had to pay for calling me while I was overseas.

I had also purchased a data plan for my iPhone to use sparingly. On one occasion, I switched off my airplane mode and switched back "on" my data on my iphone. My iPhone immediately searched for telephone messages and downloaded them to my iPhone. I was charged the 99¢ for each of the downloaded voice messages. I didn't listen to the messages, only downloaded them, and was charged.

I still think that you should call your phone company and have them educate you on how to avoid any surprises. I was pleased with being able to ask questions and have AT&T fill me in so that I could completely understand how it all works.
Old Sep 13th, 2014, 08:48 AM

I thought roaming charges in Europe were a thing of the past.
Old Sep 13th, 2014, 09:42 AM

All Verizon 4G LTE devices, including the 5C are already unlocked. No need for that step. I have a 5S and my wife has the 5C and we've never had to get either unlocked.

Also, roaming charges are still alive and well in Europe, though some carriers have started to eliminate them. For example, http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home. Unfortunately, on my last trip, we left the UK for Germany, which wasn't covered by my Three plan, so I had to get a SIM from a German provider. And, on our day trip to Austria, we lost all coverage the moment we crossed the border.

So, to summarize:
1. No need to unlock an iPhone 5C
2. Most mobile providers in Europe still charge roaming fees, but some are starting to phase that out for certain countries.
3. No need to switch providers here at home
4. A local SIM is easy and definitely the most cost efficient way to travel.

With a local SIM card, you would dial the states just like anyone else in France, and calling your friend (assuming she also has a local SIM, would just be a matter of creating a new contact for her and then calling/texting that contact.
Old Sep 13th, 2014, 10:20 AM

The unlocking of the US iPhone5 has been a game changer.

Just returned yesterday from Spain, Croatia and the CR. Had the 100MB/$25 Verizon data plan and no issues with roaming charges. Each new country the phone said "searching," but once it found its network it stayed there. I used data for email, web surfing, etc. and Skype/Viber/Whatsapp in wifi areas for most calls.

The problem with getting a local SIM is you lose contact with everyone who knows your number. My son just got an Orange SIM in Spain for his unlocked iPhone5S and virtually all data, local calls and texts will be just about free. But he'll be there for 4 months and he's not expecting any important work calls. That would have been out of the question for me because I need my own number for business. If I'm going to one place for a long time or anticipate lots of intl. calls, I get the Lebara (or similar) beforehand and put it in an old blackberry. I also still rent phones in South America (where calls are almost free), rather than dealing with the hassle of finding and installing a SIM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -