How do I pay my deposit?

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Jim

How do I pay my deposit?

Will be making a number of resrvations directly to convents in Italy for June. No credit cards accepted. Does anybody have suggestions on how to pay the first nights deposit. Have read about international money orders, wired bank drafts, etc. I live in small town in Colorado and the banks here are pretty unsophisticated. Have thought about FedEx letters, but what form should the payment take?

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 04:55 PM
andrea

I recently needed to make a reservation for a hotel in Paris that does not accept credit cards. I sent them, through priority mail, an international bank draft in euro. The fee was supposed to be $10 (ouch), but she waived it because she thought my dog was cute (he is), and I told her I was going for my 40th (I am). Go figure!<BR><BR>You can also get travellers check in euro for no charge if you have AAA, however, I believe the minimum amount to change is $150, and the smallest bill is $50; too much for a convent deposit.<BR><BR>If you live in a rural area, you may need to take a trip into a larger town to take care of business. It'll be worth the effort! I stayed at a convent in Sienna last April and truly enjoyed it!<BR><BR>Good luck & have a great trip!

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Jim

Thanks!<BR><BR>Good suggestions.<BR><BR>What was the name of the convent?<BR><BR>We are making reservations for one in Siena too.<BR><BR>

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 10:23 PM
andrea

Hi Jim! I stayed at Alma Domus. I called from Paris about 10 days before my arrival & got the last single. This was in April, so be sure to book ahead for June, as this convent is in 2 guidebooks that I know of. I did not need to send a deposit for them at them time. They just wanted my word that I would come, or cancel. My Italian is not very good; somehow I stammered out the dates, etc.<BR><BR>Be sure to ask for a view. I had a single room, with a private balcony and a breathless, magnificent view of the Duomo. Incredible at night, when lit. Bath down the hall, but I seemed to be the only one using it. All for $32!!<BR><BR>Have a great trip! I have Italy envy.<BR>;-)<BR><BR>Two books for you, if you don't know of them already: Bed & Blessings, and Sleeping in Italy's Monasteries, or something to that affect.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Ian

I understand that Bank drafts are pretty expensive both for the sender and the receiver. In Europe one can use International Payment Orders through the Post Office which are generally fairly quick to arrive (4-5 working days) and not that expensive. In addition you get an immediate receipt stamped by the post office which you can fax as evidence that you have actually made the payment. Does this system exist in the US ?<BR>Also have you thought of Western Union ? Since there are many immigrants working in Italy there are thousands of WU authorised money/fax/internet offices throughout Italy transferring funds all through the day. It should be possible to wire the funds to the nearest WU office - ask the Convent for the reference number or whatever of the one nearest to them.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Simone

I just sent a bank draft in pounds sterling written on Lloyds' of London to the Bank of Scotland - cost $15 thru Wells Fargo. My bank (smaller than WF) charges $30 for an international money wire. I believe Western Union is even higher.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Ian

I have just checked the Western Union site. To send $200 from say Illinois to Italy would cost you $27. This may seem a little steep but with Western Union the payment is more or less immediate and you get immediate hard evidence of the transaction (not always the same with a bank as a stamped payment order is not the same as the payment advice which you may not receive until some days later). Also you and the recipient can track the payment much as you can with Fedex or UPS. Is it so much in order to get immediate hard copy? If anyone has another system which is CHEAPER and AS EFFICIENT, please let me know.

Old Feb 12th, 2002, 10:52 PM
lulu

If an international bank draft or euro travellers checks are sent, you have the hard copy, the fees are much less, and for $5 you can send it international priority so it's received within 3 days. Don't think Jim needs a $200 deposit for a conven.