Reload this Page >

How do I get back to Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 08:53 PM
PDV28

Hi everyone! I am planning (not definitively) to fly into and out of Paris because I have found a very low airfare. I would like to spend awhile in Paris but would like to train into some other towns(maybe town in South France), and possibly into Italy --maybe Venice, Florence, San Gimignano, maybe some other smaller places... <BR> <BR>My problem is it is about 11 hours to get to Venice...and 11 back!!! This will be a waste of two of my (very limited days). I will have about a week. I can't really take up 2 days to travel on a train (I would rather not). So my question to you is how do you think I could get back to Paris the quickest way? <BR> <BR> Would it be quicker to just fly back to Paris? Or should I find a central point in between my 2 destinations(France and Italy) to fly out of Europe--that way I will only have to travel 8 hours at most anywhere else to that central location. <BR> <BR>Please frequent trainers I need your assistance--or the next time you hear from me, I may have just taken residence in an Alpine cave and become the fodors troll! <BR> <BR>Thanks for your help! <BR>Patricia

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 09:01 PM
PDV28

I forgot to say I am a horrible train strategist (as if you couldn't tell!) any other training strategies would be much appreciated. To give you an idea of some cities I would like to see are: <BR> <BR> -towns in South of France <BR> maybe Provins(1 day) <BR> -Venice (?)(2 days) <BR> -Florence and San Gimignano(1-2) <BR> -maybe somewhere in the alps (1) <BR> <BR> I know, my question sounds stupid...but really I'd like to know a better way to maximize my time on trains since I will only have about a week. <BR> <BR>Thanks for any help! <BR>Patricia

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 09:06 PM
Tony

Be careful you don't nullify the cheap air fare, in expenditure on train fares. <BR>For the sort of hectic tour you are planning you have three options to consider before going any further. <BR>1. Fly back to Paris from Venice. <BR>2. Fly into Paris and home from Milan. <BR>3. At least one overnight train journey possibly two, neither of which I would recommend, as you will miss some fabulous scenery through Switzerland. <BR>I would definitely omit the South of France altogether if you are determined to get to Venice, and you may have trouble squeezing in Florence too, although not impossible. <BR>You are almost taking two holidays for the price of one here, which will horrify some of the regular posters, but I like to keep moving myself, so can relate to it.

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 10:57 PM
sandy

Hi Patricia, <BR> <BR>Your problem is easliy solved. Fly into Paris and home from Venice -- or the reverse. I'll bet it doesn't change your airfare that much. Let me know! <BR> <BR>Sandy

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 11:58 PM
xxx

I'm not an expert but am going to London, Rome, & Paris in a few weeks. Since my trip is like a whirlwind I checked into flights compared to train. It was actually cheaper and less time consuming to fly than take the train since a europass wasn't feasible for our trip. From Rome it was a lot cheaper to fly into Brussels and take the short train ride into Paris. Good luck on finding the right itinerary for you.

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 04:56 AM
Mr. Train

You can get a sleeper car on a night train in each direction, adding a little romance and saving you daytime hours, airport connections, and hotel bills. There's one leaving Paris at around 7 p.m. with a change in Geneva around 11:00, arriving in Venice at 7:00 a.m. Leave Venice at about 8:00 and arrive at about 8:30 a.m. the next morning in Paris with no changes.

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 06:42 AM
Gary

I too am a whirlewind traveler, known for the forced marches I have put my wife through. However I would spend the time in Paris and towns close to it. Save Venice and Italy for another low airfare trip. 1 week is so little time for eitther place.

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 08:55 AM
PDV28

I really appreciate everyone's input! Thanks for the great suggestions!!! <BR> <BR> I would like to clarify just a tad about my trip, so no one thinks I am not giving enough time to any one place. I am staying at least*(optionable)3 weeks in Paris as my focus city...then I have another week to do whatever. I would like to train around and to do a teaser trip perhaps to Italy (Venice and Florence(?)) but I could shorten the portion in Paris to allow for a week and a half of training. What do you all think? <BR> <BR>I have always had a dream of living in Paris and 3 weeks is the closest I will come (at least this time)--that is why I wanted to stay in Paris for 3 weeks of the trip...just so you would know my reasons (whether logical or not--I prefer not) <BR> <BR>Thanks again for your great help! <BR>Keep the suggestions coming.... <BR>Patricia

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 09:34 AM
elvira

Patricia: <BR>I use night trains to maximize my time on a whirlwind tour. My suggestion would be to take a night train from Paris to Nice, arriving early morning. Spend that day, and two more, in the south of France; take a night train on the third day to Venice, arriving early morning. Spend that day and half of the following day in Venice; middle of that second day, take a train to Florence (2 1/2 hours), and spend that 1/2 a day plus all the next day in Florence. Take a night train from Florence to Paris to arrive 9:00am. <BR> <BR>You could skip the south of France, take a night train directly to Venice, then spend all the time in Italy, returning on the night train from Florence. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 05:54 PM
Pdv28

Thank you Elvira! I like that itinerary. And thank you to everyone else for your help!!! <BR> I have found many of the itineraries above helpful in my planning. <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR>Patricia