Reload this Page >

How do I dress in Paris?

Search

How do I dress in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 11:48 AM
Michele

How do I dress in Paris?

My first time in Paris, I don't want to look like an outsider, but I'm not sure I want to spend an exorbinant amount of cash on a wardrobe for the trip...any suggestions? <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 12:07 PM
celia lynn

Michele, dress like you're meeting new friends for lunch at a nice restaurant on a weekday on your break from the office. No tennis shoes, or fanny packs, ..

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 12:30 PM
Darleen

Just pack a few nice clothes and buy some clothes in Paris you will kill two birds with one stone you will have the right clothes and great memories of you trip everytime you ware the clothes. european women dress alot better the the Jean clad american women the clothing and material are more form fittig to the body all you friends will be envious of you new clothes

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 12:36 PM
StCirq

Anything black, set off with a colorful scarf or sweater and nice accessories will help you to blend in a bit. Just remember that you're on vacation and want to be comfortable,though. Good walking shoes are essential.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 12:42 PM
Capo

Hi Michele. You can't go wrong with black -- or other type of dark -- clothing. I know some people love running shoes, but I'd NEVER wear them in Paris.

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 01:08 PM
Ess

Michele, you didn't say when you were going to be in Paris but, personally, by the time spring arrives I'm really sick of black. And if black doesn't suit you, it isn't de rigueur anyway. The funniest thing was when I was sitting in the cafe across the street from the Rodin museum in a very touristy area -- everyone in the cafe was a tourist, mostly American, and everyone was wearing their black. It was rather amusing. I was wearing black, too (turtleneck but with gray flannel trousers). The point is that, yes, black is easy to coordinate and travels well, but it can be depressing, if that's all you've brought. As one recent poster with common sense said on this forum, wear what you would ordinarily wear to any other urban area. Casual is fine, but maybe something "casual chic" to make you feel special. What I noticed most about Parisian women's wear, other than the trendy stuff young people wear, is that they are fairly conservative dressers. They wear very well-made dresses or suits, and have good haircuts. If you are young you can get away with wearing whatever you like, including jeans and sneakers. Don't worry about it.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 02:35 AM
toptop

?????????????

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 05:42 AM
kate

Black black black black. And get a really good haircut.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 07:51 AM
sandra

I don't know but perhaps i am an "ugly american" but i where what i feel most comfortable in, when we travel. I like colors they make me feel happy so i wear them. i likeblack for night but i prefer to wear khacki trousers and bright or pastel color tops. I would not wear a scarf at home so wearing one to fil in would make me feel uncomfortable and thus make me stick out like a sore thumb. when we were in paris in november i noticed not only did i appear to be the fattest woman in paris i was also the only one wearing color. AND i still felt comfortable, to me i guess it is a matter of being comfortable with myself rather then blending in. i found that as a colorful fat woman i attracked people and met many people who were curious about the us and wanted to talk to us about it.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 09:44 AM
John

How fun to go to Pairs. My first time was great. I thought I spoke french 'till I got there. On my last of five days I had it down. Try to speak French and you will be answered in English, between the two you will be fine. I offer this advice becuase it was more important than what I wore. I felt comfortable in tan slacks and a nice button down collar and good coat and shoes. I notice the ladies in France were dressed very well, in good shoes, and full face make up, but had at least an inch of outgrowth and needed new hair color and a shampoo! This blew my mind that these fine ladies needed their roots done and had dirty hair. Maybe it was just a hair strike that week, but that is one of the thinks stuck in my mind...a trivial one, yes, but it stuck. The major memories were of lovely places, food, and people.

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 02:40 PM
hhetr

more on fashion

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 05:48 PM
Adelaide

Black. Black wedgies...black skirts...black stockings...black blouse.....red scarf! You'll look like a million!