How do I call US/Canada from Italy?

Old Sep 9th, 2003, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I call US/Canada from Italy?

I know from Italyby.com that you dial 170 first, so is it 170+area code+ phone number?

In US/Canada, if I want to charge my phone call to my calling card, I dial 0+area code+number, then on prompt input my calling card number. Can anyone tell me is it same procedure in Italy; that is dialing 0+170+area code+number?
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 09:25 AM

To bill a call to your calling card you first have to dial into your phone company's international access service.

I know that for Canada Direct, which works for Bell Canada, Aliant, and Telus, you call a toll-free number (there's a different one for each country that you're calling from). You then follow the voice prompts, which involves dialling your calling card number. In the US, AT&T has a similar service (AT&T Direct).

We like it, because it's easy to use, and we pay Canadian long distance rates; the local call is usually free. Our daughter used it when she was on a school trip to Europe with no problems, and we didn't have a heart attack when we got the bill.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 11:06 AM
ira

Hi John,

Where did you find the 170 number? It is my understanding that to dial an international call *from* Italy that you dial 00 then the international code for the country you are calling then the area code. To dial my home from Italy, I would dial 00 1 706 xxx xxxx.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 11:08 AM

call the #800 for the card you have and they will give you directions. I got an MCI card at Costco and called MCI and they gace me the different codes, ie. different if calling from hotel/residence as opposed to a pay phone.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Ira:

I just looked up the www.Italyby.com, and under Tourist Information/telephone, the web said that you can dial 170 to get to an operator to connect to the phone overseas.

John
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Cluny:

Yes, I forgot about the Canada Direct -you just dial their number, and the operator/prompt will ask you whether you want to charge this call to your calling card, then you input the card number, and they will ask you to input the phone number. It is very easy. Thanks.

It's just that when I was in London, I had a hard time finding the right phone to use Canada Direct. Apparently the pay phones can be installed/run by different phone companies, and some of the phones I couldn't dial through to Canada Direct. It was very strange.

John
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 01:59 PM

Here's a link to a page with the Canada Direct access numbers <http://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/pubs/bv...direct-en.asp>. You'll see that there is a code that means"excluding some private and pay phones" so I guess those ones want you to use their long distance network.

When we want to make a call, we tend to look for a post office, because there's usually a pay phone outside, and it's less likely to be a private company.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 10:22 PM

I am trying to decide whether to purchase a phone card while traveling in Italy or to use my MCI card that I bought at Costco.
I bought a phone card 2 yrs. ago in Italy and could never figure out how to use it. In fact I recently emailed Rick Steve's site and posed the question of "how to you use a phone card at a pay phone in Italy" and their answer was some phone cards work with a touch tone via a toll free and a PIN code and others you have to cut off the end to get it to work.
My question is how easy is it to use a US phone card at a pay phone and which is cheaper?
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 12:52 AM

In Italy, dial 170 for international services operator.
It makes sense if you wish a collect call.

Otherwise :

- if you want to use the Telecom Italia services : dial 00 + international country code + area code + number;

- if you want to bill your calling card , dial the 800 number provided by "your operator".

Toll free numbers in Italy have this form 800- xxx xxx .
For example access code for AT&T in Italy is 800-172.444.

My idea about Traveler2 dilemma : use local phone card for local phone calls; use international calling card only to call oversaes.

If you think you need to make local calls in Italy, just buy a phone card by 3, 5 or more euro in any tobacconist, cut off the end and slide it inside the pay phone , wait for credit to be displayed , dial your number and press ok.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 07:28 AM

This is just a point of information: I have just noticed a poster with the screen name "traveler2". I have been posting on this site as "travler2". The spelling is slightly different and we are NOT the same person. Thank you.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 12:59 PM

LeCanard: Thank you for the info. Is there any certain corner you cut off? I was told that the card does not give instructions.

Travler2: How funny I read LeCarnard's message then I noticed a posting supposedly by me and I thought now wait a minute I haven't been back to this thread since I posted my first reply!
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 04:07 PM

Travel*r2,
Phone cards system by Telecom Italia dates back to early 80s. That may explain why information about how to use them is not given extensively.
Phone Cards remind me those travel cards used by MTA in NYC or CTA in Chicago.

Cut off the corner which folds.

Instructions are given by pay phone, just press the language button until english comes up on display.

BTW, pay phones can send SMS as well.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 11:30 PM

LeCanard: You have been so helpful! Thank you.
I may try to find the phone card I bought 2 yrs. ago and see if it has expired. (provinding I can read it)