Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How difficult is a daytrip Munich to Neuschwanstein castle?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 02:33 PM
Stephen

Hi, we are debating this daytrip, any insites? Thanks in advance, Stephen

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 03:00 PM
Russ

No sweat. By rail, 2 hours with one change of train to Füssen, hourly departures from Munich, roughly, then take the shuttle bus to the foot of the trail up to the castle (a few Marks.) It's 72 DM each roundtrip on the train; if you go on Sat or Sun (and leave early to beat the crowds) you can get there on a "Schoenes Wochenende" daypass, good for up to 5 people travelling together, for 40 DM total. By car, it's probably a bit faster.

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 04:57 PM
Ed

It's an easy trip by train, tour bus or car. <BR> <BR>I'd recommend a car if you can. The crowds (and waiting time) do build up as the morning wears on, so early arrival is especially useful. You can manage that much more easily with a car. <BR> <BR>As well, there are other sights in the area worth seeing while you're down that way, but without a car you'll have to forego them. Among the choices: <BR>1) Ludwig's Linderhof, yet another fairytale castle', not as spectacular as Neuschwanstein, but better in some ways: <BR>2) Wieskirche - the lovely, baroque 'Church in the Meadow' <BR>3) Zugspitze - Half German, half Austrian, it's Germany's tallest (half-) mountain, though hardly so for Austria. Nonetheless on a fine day a nice ride up and down, and a good view from the summit(s). <BR> <BR>Extended info and suggestions at www.twenj.com/bavarianeu.htm <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 04:54 AM
Maira

Stephen---- agree with Ed about having a car to explore Bavaria. We started early on the day we headed towards Neuschwanstein, and stopped first in Ettal (beautiful town and monastery; great place to buy souvenirs), then headed to Linderhoff (gorgeous King Ludwig's summer residence; we liked it lot more than Neuschwanstein) and then toured Neuschwanstein. A full day, but it was doable and highly enjoyable.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 05:03 AM
Byrd

In October we took the bus tour from Munich to Linderhof, Neuschwanstein, and Oberammergau (the Passion Play had closed for the season). Since there were 10 of us, it worked out very well--we could all travel together. The autumn leaves were spectacular!

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 06:39 AM
Bob Brown

For John Byrd. Please tell me more about the tour that you mention above in your post. I would like to do what you did. So how did you go about booking the trip?? We will be in Munich later in the summer.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 07:02 AM
Byrd

Bob- The tour was a Gray Line Panorama Tour called "The Royal Castles: Neuschwanstein and Linderhof." The bus picked us up at our hotel about 8:30 a.m. and delivered us back about 8 p.m. The bus was doubledeck and very comfortable. The guide was charming and helpful. We are not ones for "guided tours," but this seemed to be the best way to see the castles. We drove through some really beautiful country, which I think we would not have seen from the train. We had plenty of time at both castles, and did not have to wait, since the guide phoned shortly before we arrived to reserve our places. In Oberammergau, we we had fun shopping and looking. We had lunch at Neuschwanstein--we ate outside with the golden leaves falling-unforgettable. Driving would have been a great way to take this day trip, too, but since we wre a group of five couples, the bus worked very well. I'm sure your hotel can make reservations for you.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 10:55 AM
Bob Brown

Thanks, John, for the info. I had considered free lancing our trip to that area, but sometimes the bus tours can make the little arrangements ahead that you describe, and they beat the parking problem!!. I am wary of these canned tours, particularly after a less than successful Sound of Music Tour from Salzburg. On the plus side, we had a good tour out of Paris to Vaux le Vicomte and Fontainebleau. If you are ever in Paris, don't miss those two. <BR>I think each is worth its own visit, however.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 04:42 AM
xxx

I second the high regards for the Neuschwanstein/Linderhof tour run by Panorama. Like you, we ususally don't like the tour bus idea, but time was limited and it was the best way to see the most that we could. We were picked up and dropped off at/near our hotel. Although I do not remember the exact price, I do recall that it was not cheap. We learned quickly that you get what you pay for...we also took a city tour in Salzburg (not Panorama) and were disappointed in the vehicle, guide and service. While the tour originated at the train station, when it finished we were simply left in the city center with no idea of where we were or how to get back to the train station. Panorama seemed to run a good program with many tour options available on different days.