Reload this Page >

How big is your suitcase?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 10:39 AM
Brandon

We are going to Italy for two weeks in early May. I am trying to take as little luggage as possible, but my wife always overpacks.<BR><BR>What is the smalles piece of luggage that you ever traveled with?<BR><BR>Brandon.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 10:42 AM
janis

I have severla pices of luggage - but only ever use two of them:<BR><BR>A 19 inch travelpro rollaboard for trips of around two weeks or less<BR><BR>A 21 inch Rollaboard for longer trips

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 10:43 AM
Ellen

Brandon, check out the recent threads on doing laundry. There's no need to take more than 3 or 4 of anything. I travel with 2 pairs of black pants, one of what I sleep in, and 3 or 4 of everything else. I never ever travel with more than a carryon. The basic philosophy for packing should be not "Is there any chance I might need this?" but rather "Can I get along without this?" The only real essentials are passport, tickets, medicine, glasses. Everything else, you can get over there if you decide you need it.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 11:02 AM
Thyra

I always carry everything in one carryon rolling back pack.<BR>I go to airline websites in advance to find out what the dimensions are: Currently I am taking a 22X13X9 inch. I have learned that the benefits of packing light far outweigh having to shop overseas.<BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 11:07 AM
Janice

I have almost exactly the same bag as Thyra - a rolling backpack which I rarely have to carry, but love those backpack straps when you're on cobblestones, or in ankle-deep water! I just came back from 8 days in Paris with 12 pieces of clothing: 6 sweaters, 2 pants, 2 skirts, 2 dresses. Toss in some tights, some underwear, a pair of shoes and my teeny little toiletries kit, and I'm good to go! I cannot imagine a trip so long and/or complicated that I would need a bigger bag.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 11:07 AM
JJ

I use the 22-incher plus an over-the-shoulder carry-on (check the 22"). However, my stuffing habits have kind of worn down the roll-aboard. Does anyone know the title for the most recent thread on the best luggage? I've done a couple of searches and come up with stupid stuff. I'm looking for something both lightweight and durable -- will pay for metal zippers and good wheels. Don't need all that silly hardware they include like suit-covers, etc.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 11:12 AM
finally learned

After many trips where I overpacked my husband finally talked me into taking a 22 inch suitcase last year and I must admit he was right . Packing light made our lives so much easier. I was surprised how much I could leave home and never miss.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 11:18 AM
Janice

Dear JJ,<BR>I'm a HUGE fan of Eagle Creek. My backpack cost a lot, but I've taken it on 30+ trips, beaten the daylights out of it, and it's still in great shape, and doesn't look worn at all. I sort of think you get what you pay forr!

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 11:46 AM
Sue

Did Italy in 10 days with one wheeled arline-regulation carry-on bag and my husband had a wheeled duffel bag. Anal I know, obsessive-compulsive yes, but I mapped out my wardrobe in a spreadsheet and packed exactly what I planned and I still had a few things I didn't wear. The trick is to wear the heaviest bulkiest stuff, like jeans, on the plane and pack the rest.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 11:56 AM
Yuppie

I use the same old Travelpro I had 10 years ago, one size larger than the carry-on that has served me well. I pack as little clothing as possible (it's always more than you need), so I'll have plenty of room for my pillow (!) and things I buy on the trip.<BR>My husband, on the other hand, is a "kitchen sink" packer. Like he's really going to need the fishing line and snake bite kit in London. I used to complain about it, but found it's a complete waste of energy. They do what they have to do.<BR>Resigned.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 12:00 PM
elvira

3-day trip to Paris, I got everything into an overnight bag. For two weeks, a 21-22" rollaboard and small totebag...<BR><BR>There is no magic way to get the contents from a 36" hardsided suitcase into a 22" rollaboard. Period. To pack light, you have to rethink everything...downsizing your shampoo to a sample bottle doesn't help if you intend to take 4 pairs of shoes, 8 outfits, 6 personal care appliances and your accordion. The minute you say "but I **HAVE** to take...", you've got to decide whether it replaces things in the 22" rollaboard, or will it mean taking a larger suitcase.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 12:05 PM
Rex

This is one of my cardinal rules of luggage for Europe travel.<BR><BR>Your largest piece of luggage should not exceed eight pounds (empty).<BR><BR>Your second piece of luggage (and I actually DO recommend always having two pieces - - easier to walk "balanced") should not eceed eight OUNCES (empty) - - translation: a small-medium light weight nylon duffel bag - - which often is still quite capable of carrying 20+ pounds of stuff.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 12:11 PM
Danna

Brandon... we take very little, but in 2 bags... if your wife overpacks, make sure she packs then walks 4+ blocks with her proposed luggage. Last time we packed light but with one bag... the hubby will not do that again!... guess what I got for Christmas LOL Have a great time.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 12:22 PM
Nutella

Okay, I'm brave enough to admit it LOL, I bring a 30" suitcase and a carry-on tote. I don't pack much, the 30" is empty enough that I can even fit the carry-on inside. I just like having room for my purchases, and the 30" with it's wheels and handle is easier to maneuver than if I brought an extra duffle bag. And what about getting on and off trains, you ask? Hey, that's what helpful, handsome Italian men are for!

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 12:29 PM
Dick

I bring the biggest one I can find, because you know what they say about the size of a man's suitcase...

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 12:29 PM
ryan

I usually carry a steamer trunk so that I can take items from the breakfast buffet and enjoy them at home for weeks after. The bread also makes great presents!

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 12:30 PM
KT

Elvira, I had to laugh about the accordion. My sometime travelling companion packs her recorder (the wind instrument, not a cassette recorder) and some music when she travels. On the other hand, she's the two-pairs-of-pants-and-two-sets-of-underwear type of packer, so it's not a problem.<BR><BR>To answer the original question, for a three-week trip I usually take a carry-on-sized convertible backpack or rollaboard and a smallish mostly empty duffel for later acquisitions. And I still feel like I've overpacked.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 12:30 PM
wendy

I wear my bulkiest clothing /shoes on the plane, pack one small/medium size bag with one other pair of shoes, clothing and toiletries, and then place that inside another rolling bag the same size. That way, I go over with ONE bag, but let the airlines help me get my TWO bags home (the extra always appears after having made purchases)...

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 12:43 PM
scigirl

I pack a 14" carry-on rolling suitcase. It is tiny! I have a backpack/suitcase thing which I HATE because 1) too large 2) too heavy - the backpack contraption just adds unneeded weight. I pack light and small enough that I can carry my tiny suitcase if for some reason I'm not able to roll it. <BR><BR>My husband has a 22" suitcase because his shoes are too big too fit in a smaller suitcase. I've packed everything I need for trips of several weeks length (summer and winter) in my tiny bag. I also take a LeSport Sac nylon bag to carry any purchases I might make while traveling and to use as a carry-on tote (books, magazines, etc.). <BR><BR>I find that having a tiny suitcase forces me to choose what I pack very carefully. The suitcase is expandable in case I really go overboard with shopping. However, I'll mail purchases home before I'll carry them around with me. I only expand the suitcase if I am at the end of my trip. I have travel bottles for shampoo, soap, etc. take minimal cosmetics (in tiny cases), never ever carry a hair dryer (whatever the hotel provides will do), take only one extra pair of shoes, etc.

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 01:01 PM
sss

It's not the size of the suitcase that matters, it's how you pack it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -