Reload this Page >

How big IS Venice?

Search

How big IS Venice?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 09:48 AM
Steve007NY

How big IS Venice?

From all the maps, I still have little idea of how expansive Venice is. Last trip there was about 30 years ago, when even vaporetto fares were steep for me <BR><BR>If we stay at the Rialto Bridge, will walking several times a day to St. Marks be out of the question? How about to Peggy Guggenheim's/ the Accademia?<BR><BR>Tx<BR>Steve

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 09:59 AM
Rex

You'll be fine - - the distances you're asking about would all fit into a 10 by 10 block square area in Manhattan.<BR><BR>All of Venice is less than one fourth of Manhattan.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 11:54 AM
elaine

farthest point to farthest point, I believe you could walk it end to end in slightly over an hour.Rialto Bridge to Piazza San Marco, walking comfortably without dawdling, 15 minutes or so.<BR>From R bridge to Accademia, maybe 25 minutes.<BR>To Guggenheim, maybe 40 minutes. That<BR>doesn't include any vaporetto rides of course.<BR>The "problem" in Venice isn't the distances per se, it's the getting lost in the maze, part of the delight imo.<BR>

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 01:49 PM
zz-top

Steve:<BR><BR>It's not a big place. I think I read in one of my guidebooks that maximum 'width' is about 1 mile 3/4 between the most distant points. But since it's interspersed with many twisty streets, &amp; small canals, it's not like being able to trek down 5th avenue.<BR><BR>If you're staying close to Rialto Bridge that's a good strategic location. And you can easily walk from there to St. Mark's Square (provided you don't get lost). And from the Rialto to the museum, the simplest option is to take the vaporetto down the Grand Canal a couple stops &amp; get off @ "Accademia" --- you can get there on foot, but at least if you hop the boat you can be assured of arriving at your destination.<BR><BR>Call me cranky--after a few days of the "charm" of getting lost in Venice, it ceased to be so amusing.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 02:55 PM
Nancy

Here's something we found out the hard way. If you're going to mostly walk and use a map, buy a small compass to go with it. It is very easy to get disoriented when you're relying on the map, and even though you are on the right "calle", you could be walking in the wrong direction. It's a life/time saver!

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 03:05 PM
Dave

Almost everything is within a very winding, walking distance. The cemetary is great, but don't try to walk there. It's on another island.