My husband and I are returning to Italy this summer and would like to visit the Dolomites. We are flying into Marco Polo Airport the second week in July. We originally planned to stay in Venice 3 nights and then Varenna 3 nights before going to Cinque Terre. Varenna and Venice are flexible, but Cinque Terre is set in our itinerary as we will visit friends there.
So here's what we are considering::
1. Rent car at airport, go to Dolomites - stay 3 nights and drop car in Como on way to Varenna - stay 3 nights
2. Venice 2 nights, rent car, Dolomites 2 nights, drop off car in Como, Varenna 2 nights
3. Join tour company/guide for Dolomite part of trip and not rent a car
Some background info:
We usually use train and bus to travel in Italy, but we did rent a car one year for visiting Piedmont region. We typically stay 3-4 nights at each stop, but think we would be fine with the 2-2-2 scenario for this trip to include Dolomites. We have been to Venice many times (we enjoy just being there and walking around) and this will be our second time to Lake Como region.
How difficult getting from Dolomites to Varenna by car?
Where should we drop car on way to Varenna
Where should we stay in Dolomites?
I would appreciate any advice/recommendations.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Sorrento to Montepulciano- where to rent car?
- 2 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 3 What did your teenagers love the most of their Italy trip?
- 4 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 5 Is a quick stopover in Bern worth it with 3 kids?
- 6 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 7 Barcelona - Rome Viking Ocean Cruise
- 8 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 9 Current plan for March trip
- 10 First time in Spain
- 11 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 12 Barcelona to Malaga
- 13 where to buy baby gifts in paris?
- 14 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 15 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 16 Copying a post on Swiss gondolas.
- 17 Christmas in Granada....food!
- 18 Help needed for Bergamo to Venice journey
- 19 Dublin for St. Patricks Day
- 20 Recommendations Budget hotel Paris
- 21 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 22 beware of robbed in Milan
- 23 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 24 A Merry marvelousmouse, and (likely more than one) cup of good cheer!
- 25 Wedding In Cambridge England