Reload this Page >

How best to spend ONE day in Amsterdam?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Karin

Hi folks - <BR>I'll have about 9 hours to spend in Amsterdam between flights during the day on Friday July 6th. I've never been there....I'd appreciate any tips on how to best spend that time. City bus tour? Walking tour? Any must-sees? <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR>-karin

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 11:39 AM
Meg

Take a canal tour to get a great perspective of the city. The Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum and Anne Frankhuis are all great museums (to mention only a very few.) Eat an Indonesian ricetable and have some vlaamse frites with mayonnaise. You can catch the train at Schiphol to Centraal Station - it only takes 15 minutes or so - if that long. You can buy a one-day transportation pass that is good on the metro, buses and trams. ENJOY!

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Bill

Meg hit all the not-to-be-missed things. I would suggest you set aside some time to just walk along the canals in the historic residential areas. Amsterdam is incredibly walkable. You'll pass by some little museums that you can pop into for a quick visit if you like, and just the stroll is sublime. Browse some guidebooks in a bookstore to get an idea of some good stretches of canal. <BR>Many people wouldn't think of visiting Amsterdam without sampling the smoking materials at a "coffee shop". If you are so inclined, there are numerous good places, but be aware of the high quality of the product. You might miss your flight!

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 12:22 PM
xxx

with a "Dutch Boy"... <BR> <BR>...and I don't mean a can of paint... <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Steve Mueller

Karin, <BR> <BR>The best "buses" in Amsterdam are the water buses. You can get an all day ticket and board near the main train station. During our first visit to the Netherlands, we only had one day in Amsterdam. We took the canal bus up to the area around the Anne Frankhuis and then walked from there to the Dam Square and along the Damrak back to the train station. Probably the best advice I could give you would be to try to find a map of Amsterdam to study before you go. That way you'll make the best use of your time. Most major bookstores (e.g., Barnes & Noble) have maps of major European cities. <BR> <BR>Meg mentioned the Anne Frankhuis, which is a depressing experience for some people. Since you will only be in Amsterdam for one day, be warned that the line to the Anne Frankhuis can be pretty long. We were there in the off-season and the line stretched down the block for several houses.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 01:25 PM
Meg

The other posters make very good points. Museum lines can be long. Since you only have a day, I'd suggest going to the museum of your choice right when they open to avoid the crowds. I wouldn't recommend spending your entire day trying to see museums. Definitely walk around and definitely get on a boat of some kind. You'll have a great day.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 06:12 PM
April

I would definitely take a canal cruise and visit the Van Gogh museum, and I would at least whip through the Rijksmusem.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 06:44 AM
lisa

My priorities would be <BR> <BR>#1 canal boat ride -- a great way to appreciate the architecture of the city <BR>#2 Anne Frank's house <BR>#3 Van Gogh museum <BR> <BR>Those were the highlights for me, and I think you could do them all in 9 hours and not feel too rushed. The Rijsmuseum has a lot to see too, but I think it would be too much for such a short time. If you have any extra time I would just sit outside at one of the cafes on the main square and enjoy the people-watching and soak up the atmosphere.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Beth

I think the Anne Frank House would be at the top of a "don't miss" list for Amsterdam. It's really a powerful and moving experience to see where her family was in hiding.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 11:34 AM
Karin

Thanks so much, everyone! <BR>Now I know what to do, and I'm sure I'll have a wonderful time...it all sounds fantastic. I'll have to go back for a longer stay sometime. --karin