Reload this Page >

How are couchettes on trains?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Sue

We plan to take the overnight train from Milan to Naples. How are the couchettes? Any tips? <BR>thank you!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Larry

How many peolpe are you travelling with?<BR>If you can fill up a room it would be great. I just traveled (alone) from Venice to Vienna and got a prvate compartment...they are for 2, but they fill them all up before they start putting people together. The room and bed were set up for one and waiting for me. It was great

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Sue

There are two of us, but I don't think the train has private compartments between Milan and Naples - just couchettes. And, as I read about it, it sounded like 6 bunks with pillow and blanket within each area.<BR>Has anyone travelled in one of these??

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Deb

I used one in France but it had four bunks unlike in Italy where it has 6. I was alone so they put two others in with me, both single travellers. One was a man and one was a woman that didn't speak English. There was no conversation we just took our bunks and settled in. It was okay, I would probably do it again.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Therese

Many years ago I took a couchette from Paris to Milan. Six couchettes in a compartment, and all six were occupied (I was travelling alone). I ended up in one of the top ones, and found it very (very very) claustrophobia-inducing: I felt crammed against the ceiling and couldn't get down from the bunk easily. Neither the pillow nor the blanket were what I'd call luxurious.<BR><BR>I would do it again if my only alternative were to sit up the whole way, but only if I could get the lowest bunk. And I'd bring my own pillow.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Simon

In Italy, the couchettes are okay. The pillow is okay, and you get disposable paper sheets and pillowcase. There are 6 to a cabin, so you just get sardine space. But the gentle rocking motion of the train will immediately send you to sleep ... make sure your belongings are in a safe place if you are travelling alone, or you might wake up lighter than you sleep. I would do the couchettes over and over again, as this was really when I had my beauty sleep in the whole 3 weeks !

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:28 AM
s

Sue,<BR><BR>I did this when I was about 13 years old, travelling with my older sister from Geneva to Madrid. We got some sandwiches and chocolate bars, we both had good books, and we settled into our cozy bunks. There are bunk lights, etc. Of course, I was smaller then . . . but I remember it as a wonderful and enchanting experience!<BR><BR>s

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Yvonne

In 1989 from Nice to Paris. There were four of us in my party. The room slept six and was full. I agree with Terese it is a small space, but better than sitting up all night. I noticed that there were people standing in the aisle, I think they were waiting to see if they could sneek in to sleep on a vacant bunk. My sister's impression was "now I know what it feels like to be in prison."

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Ben Haines

<BR><BR>Table 620 of the Thomas Cook European Timetable says that in second class the night trains from Milan to Naples carry seats (a bad idea), 6-berth couchettes (at a supplement of about 15 US dollars) and 2-berth type T2 sleepers (at a supplement of about 45 US dollars). As you see, how you take it depends on how you see it. All I can usefully add is that a note on http://www.twenj.com/tipsnighttrains.htm says how to get the best from a night in either kind of berth.<BR><BR>If people stand in the aisle you should complain to the conductor. They have no place there.<BR><BR>Please write if I can help further.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, london<BR><BR><BR>

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 10:22 AM
s

Sue (& Ben Haines),<BR><BR>I really enjoyed reading Mr. Haines' wonderfully detailed description of the night trains! That's an example of one of the reasons I keep coming back here: vicarious travel (and it's free!). <BR><BR>One small note, though, that the twenj site has moved to a .net domain. So the address is the same with the substitution of .net for .com (www.twenj.net/tipsnighttrains.htm).<BR><BR>s

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Angela

Two years ago, my two daughters and I took a night train from Rome to Palermo where they offered a 4-person female-only couchette. They put a fourth girl in our compartment, but I still felt very safe and it was rather comfortable.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 12:23 PM
ali

I've done it twice, once in the 6-person and once in the 4 person. In the 6 (and 4, too), there is always the risk of who the other four people are going to be. This is awful, but when the perfectly nice gentleman and his wife who were in one with us took off their shoes, it was almost unbearable. However, I will say, that both times, we have had real sheets and pillows, and the beds while real tight, are not uncomfortable. Also think what clothes you are going to wear to sleep as there is little privacy. Sometimes, if the train has long stops, I remember they switched off the a/c.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 02:15 PM
bed bug

bad!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Ben Haines

s ([email protected]):<BR>Many thanks. I had no idea.<BR><BR>ben haines

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Sue

Thanks everyone, we'll give it a try. I'll let you know how it goes.<BR>

Old May 17th, 2002, 09:46 AM
dkh

I would NEVER take a couchette again. There were 5 people (and mountains of luggage) in a very tiny area. One occupant insisted on closing the window and the door. The clearance between bunks is less than 12". I had a terrible attack of claustrophobia and opted for a regular seat. I was able to sleep across the seat very nicely. Unless you do not mind closed in areas and "cheek to jowl" contact with strangers, forget the couchette.

Old May 21st, 2002, 01:36 PM
Ben Haines

Couchettes are certainly not for peopole with claustrophobia. I think the vertical clearance between bunks is 24 inches. You cannot sit up in them, but you can lie reasding in them.<BR><BR>Ben Haines

Old May 21st, 2002, 03:01 PM
GAC

There is a detailed description on the trenitalia.com website of the newer couchettes on Intercity Night Trains (ICN) in Italy (I don't know whether you plan to take an ICN from Milan to Naples, nor whether these newer couchette carriages are available on ordinary "Espressi" (very long distance) trains).<BR>The description notes that there are 4 couchettes per compartment, which are converted from 6 seats during daylight hours. Each bunk measures 190 cms in length and 70 cms in width. Compartments have air conditioning, an "elevated level of noise reduction", can be locked from within, and have a "panic button" to call for assistance. 4 compartments per carriage are reserved for women only. Supplement is 23.24 Euros in addition to the price of a 2nd class ticket. You might note that you can also take a daylight Eurostar (ES) train from Milan to Naples in only 6.5 hours. Check schedules and fares in www.trenitalia.com

Old May 21st, 2002, 03:09 PM
clairobscur

Some people sleep like babies, rocked by the train. Me, for instance. Though I sometimes wake up when the train stops in some station. But for some reason, I enjoy it. Perhaps it makes me feel I'm travelling. I'm somewhere, in an unknow place, awaiting to leave for somewhere else. Or perhaps because I hear the noises outside, the railway workers talking, and it makes me feel like a children who hear the reassuring voices of the grown ups in the next room, while he's falling asleep.<BR><BR>Well...anyway, there are people who sleep extremely well in a train. But there are also people who can't sleep and hate travelling in a night train, because the moving train is noisy, because the couchettes are cramped, because the bunk is uncomfortable, because this other guy is snoring, <BR>because they feel unsafe and vulnerable,<BR>etc, etc, etc...<BR><BR>So, you'll never know if you'll enjoy night trains as long as you don't have tried them.

Old May 21st, 2002, 04:22 PM
nono

Never again. Torture. Hot. Sweaty. Smelly. and that was before we were prone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -