Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How about a budget forum - anyone interested?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 1998, 06:40 AM
Owen O'Neill

Hello forum friends - <BR> <BR>I frequent the USA/Canada Forum regularly and am currently nursing a thread with the above title. It's been suggested that this forum may benefit from the same idea. Simply put, many of us enjoy love to travel but by necessity or choice must seek "real" bargains in accomodations and dining - something beyond the hostel category but much less expensive than many of the suggestions written about by contributors. If you support this idea, PLEASE post a reply to this and encourage others to do so. If enough positive responses are posted, this will be presented to the Fodor's editors in hopes that they'll establish additional forum section(s). Thanks!!!

Old Aug 1st, 1998, 08:19 AM
ottto

See my topics "20 days 20 cities and lose 20 Lbs in European tour". It is definitely a budget tour with a plus!!!

Old Aug 1st, 1998, 09:00 AM
Owen O'Neill

Thanks Otto - <BR>I'll look it up (could definitely stand to lose the 20lbs and I love to travel!). All others reading this, please lend your support to the concept. Thanks!!

Old Aug 1st, 1998, 01:03 PM
Glaucia Arruda

Dear Owen, <BR> <BR>Excellent idea! I hope it works. I'm preparing my first (long-awaited) trip to Europe well in advance, but find it very difficult to understand the rates of the hotels, for instance. What they call "hotel" (in England, especially) is not necessarily my idea of a hotel. Hotels seem to be incredibly expensive in the UK, so I'll probably have to choose a guest-house, an inn, or whatever. A hotel, as far as I'm concerned, has rooms with toilets inside, which isn't true in the case of many hotels in London. It took me some time to understand what "en-suite facilities" stand for. Hotels there mean you're entitled to a room with one or more beds and no w.c./shower/wash basin. Or maybe I'm wrong? Also, I'll be a traveller on a tight budget, so it would be extremely useful if we could have an overall idea of costs of tickets to museums/cinemas/theatres/musicals/etc. I can hardly wait till July 99. I'll have the time of my life! If you're about to leave, Have a Nice Travel, Enjoy Yourself!!!

Old Aug 1st, 1998, 01:54 PM
Carole

Owen I agree with you totally. We are a family of four who love to travel but are short of available cash. As the kids are teenagers we have to pay for them as adults. We have planned our own itinery this year and have tried to do it on the cheap but still by staying at nice hotels. I would welcome any info on budget accommodation/fares etc. It would mean that we could travel a lot more.

Old Aug 1st, 1998, 02:21 PM
Ingrid

I'm not sure how useful this info. may be for the majority of people who watch this forum, but if you are able to spend some time in Europe there is something called the Eurobus. This service basically has a route that stops at various different locations. The passenger is able to hop on and off all over Europe once the initial ticket is purchased. I have NEVER done this myself but I have always thought it would be a neat and affordable way to travel. For the lady traveling to the UK I believe there is a similar bus service there (separate from the Eurobus since it is an island). Okay, that's my two cents. <BR>

Old Aug 1st, 1998, 02:28 PM
Carol

<BR>One way to save is to skip the private bathroom, which Europeans have trouble understanding Americans' fixation with. In a college dorm (old fashioned) it was acceptable to walk down the hall, and we really don't need to bathe every day. I've managed to find nice small pensione-type hotels with affordable rooms. Let's Go books specialize in these, but are not well researched and we found some listed facilities which were not acceptable (dirty, in bad neighborhoods, sagging beds). It would be a real service to all of us who want to go as far as we can with our money (and who use lodgings just to sleep and change clothes because we want to be out experiencing the area) if Fodor's would research and list more budget accommodations. I thought they had taken over Berkeley Guides and were publishing budget travel info under that title, but I haven't seen any lately. Putting everything in the standard gold books would be more helpful anyway. <BR> In short, I endorse your suggestion of more budget-type listings by Fodors.

Old Aug 1st, 1998, 04:28 PM
Owen O'Neill

Carol - <BR>Just to clarify the original posting: the hope is to have a forum just like this one but targeted specifically at budget travelers. I agree, however, that it would also be nice if Fodor's added more budget accomodations to their publications.

Old Aug 1st, 1998, 11:02 PM
jan m

I agree that Fodors needs to add more budget listings to its guidebooks for accommodation. Most of the world's travellers are not aiming for four or five star. For those of us from countries with weak currencies, like most asian and pacific countries at present, it has to be a budget hotel or we can't go. For those who can't wait long enough for Fodor's to get the message that budget travellers come from all walks of life, not just young backpacking students, try Lonely Planet and Rough Guides. The cost of buying two or three of the current guides will be paid back quickly if you only get one night's accommodation at a good price. And never, ever, book accoomodation through a travel agent. They don't know what budget means.

Old Aug 2nd, 1998, 12:29 AM
Carole

Further to my earlier posting I thought that the travellers that are reading this bulletin might be interested in budget accommodation in Europe. There are some very cheap budget accommodation chains that I have heard are very good - we are planning to try a couple on our holiday in a couple of days time - will post back results when I get home. Anyway there are five chains that I know of - Formule 1 who have hotels in lots of different contries. They have a tv, telephone and alarm clock in each room plus washing facilities but don't have a loo or shower but are really cheap - something like £14 per room which holds up to three people. Slightly more expensive is Etap Hotels which do have showers/wc in the room. In France there are also Villages Hotel chain - again about £15 for room (up to three people) and Mister Bed are also in France. Some of the hotels have family rooms for four people. They are all sited near motorways but have good sound proofing - so I am told. It is obviously a budget way to travel and may not suit everyone but even if it extends your holiday by a few days it is probably worth it. E-mail me if you want any further info. (I shall be away from Wednesday though!).

Old Aug 2nd, 1998, 12:33 AM
Carol

AMEN to all the above. <BR>At 10 South African Rands to the British Pound who can afford to stay in more than 2 star hotels, and that goes for most currencies! <BR>Hope we get a good buget forumn soon.

Old Aug 2nd, 1998, 01:47 AM
Jen Z

You know, I think that no matter how rich I could possibly be I would always travel on a budget. I LOVE not knowing where I'm going to sleep every night, I like leaving make-up and blow-dryers at home, and I don't mind washing my undies in the sink! And I know if I stayed in fancy, Americanized hotels, I would not see nearly as much, not meet a single soul, and not see even a bit of the real nitty-gritty of a place.... and that's what it's all about, yes? <BR> <BR>This budget forum is an excellent idea. Go with it. I've been wondering why I like this Europe forum so much when I've never liked Fodor guidebooks, and wouldn't take one to Europe with me if someone paid me. A budget forum would make it all make sense!

Old Aug 2nd, 1998, 05:03 AM
Owen O'Neill

Thanks for the outpouring of support folks! I originally posted this idea in the USA/Canada Forum that I frequent but have had a larger volume of response here. Please visit the other forum and reply to the other posting as well. I suspect many of our traveling friends who live outside the US (and within it!) aren't aware what excellent bargains are available to travelers in the US - let's uncover the opportunities and share them!

Old Aug 2nd, 1998, 06:06 AM
Lynda

I agree with Zen about staying at less expensive places. On our last trip to Europe, I made the mistake of using a travel agent to book hotels for us for a couple of places. Of course she picked an American chain! She booked us into a hotel in Heidelburg for the weekend (Holiday Inn I think) that was way out by the train station). We had to take a taxi into the city. We were picking up a car on the following Monday. It was like staying in New York! I only saw European business men and traveling American tourists. The same happened in Munich (only it was Best Western). This was partly my fault. I should have been checking on what she was reserving. By the time I realized what she was doing, it was too late to change. I had to tell her about the Air-train pass that was available in France and also assure her that you didn't have to get a car at an airport! I have found small little places with or without a bathroom much more fun and European!

Old Aug 2nd, 1998, 07:23 AM
Otto

There are other website (aside from Fodors) that I used when looking for cheap accomodations. For instance, in Paris, I went to the site called paris.org and they have a listing of 1 -4 stars hotel in all of the arrondisment(district.) I choose the 1st up to 5th district and print all of the 1 star hotels in these areas. I must have at least 15 to 20 names, phone number and address. Once I reached the city, First thing I did is buy a phone card with the least amount (50FF in Paris). Then start calling several hotels in my list and ask for the price. I definietly agree to go for a WC outside the room which can drop the price drastically. You need to take a shower only once or twice a day so it was never a problem even if you have to wait occasionally. The earlier you arrived in a new city, the better your chances of picking a reasonable rate and location of your choice. After 4 or 5 calls, I would look up the city map and pick the best location neareast to the points of interest. Tell each hotel your name and that you are on your way to the hotel. If the hotel does not accept credit card, find an ATM on or near the train train station before proceeding. Also get a metro, bus or tram map and with the direction from the hotel reception, you can easily reach the hotel with minimum complications. I also learned that since I'm travelling with another person, the 1 star (double room) centrally located hotel is sometimes cheaper or slightly more than the Hostels usually located away from the center. It's worth the hassels of commuting to the center plus privacy. For example, A double room in 1 star hotel in the 1st arrondisment in Paris cost me FF180. Whereas the youth hostel in the 11th arrondisment cost FF 80 each and share with at least 3 to 7 other people in the room.

Old Aug 2nd, 1998, 08:23 AM
Martin

Yes--I would love a bulletin board devoted to inexpensive travel. Many traditional travel guides (especially Frommer's) seem to feel that most travellers are multi-millionaires who want the best of everything. Even if I was rich, staying at 4 and 5 star hotels is a great way to AVOID meeting the locals and taking in the atmosphere. As far as books go, I like Rick Steves and the Let's Go series--both (especially Let's Go) are geared towards doing Europe "on the cheap side".

Old Aug 2nd, 1998, 08:29 AM
Ismael Libanio

I liked the subject very much. I think that it was because we always travelled with a cost/benefit mind and we've had wonderful experiences. <BR>Going to the point: <BR>1- Transportation - Eurailpass used to be cheap. Today it isn't. Eurobus, that I never used, can be a good solution. Renting or leasing a car can be good for 4 persons travelling together. The car is a good way to stay at hotels outside the cities, especially in France with the chains of hôtels economiques. <BR>2- A budget staying - France is the country with many alternatives for cheap lodging. Unfortunately the great majority is out of city center. <BR>B&B and similars are good choice too. <BR>Finally, I think that the budget forum is very good idea.

Old Aug 2nd, 1998, 02:29 PM
dorothy

<BR>A budget forum is a great idea. Yes, travel agents think only in terms in fancy places and don't even know about the inexpensive, interesting places - B&B's in a private home and such. It is not a matter of can you afford to do things in an expnsive way - it is just more fun to do it in a budget way and we are senior citizens. <BR> <BR>Our trip in two weeks is all planned but would love a good source for future trips. Let's Go and Rick Steves are good sources but so is Internatioal Travel News.

Old Aug 2nd, 1998, 03:23 PM
Jen

The idea of a budget forum is a great one. And, if anyone has the name of a cheap hotel or B&B in Amsterdam, let me know! I'm going to be there next weekend and am having trouble finding a place -- most places are fully booked so any ideas would be appreciated.

Old Aug 2nd, 1998, 05:47 PM
Erika

Add my name to the "yes" voters! I recently retired on an early retirement, and find myself in the same situation as when I was 20! Lots of places to go, and not as much money! But, when I was 20, I would accept accomodations that I wouldn't accept today at age 50!! So, I agree that we could benefit from recommendations for less-expensive accomodations, outside of the hostel environment. (I don't mean to offend anyone who loves hostels)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -