Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Houseboating on Loire--problems encountered?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 1969, 04:00 PM
Pepe

Yea, and tend to you own interests. This site is for tips, ideas, any aid for travel, not a forum for complainers against travel.

Uncle Sam

Capo said,<BR><BR>"And besides, with conservatives in the White House, who knows how much longer it will be before prancing around becomes illegal in the United States."<BR><BR><BR>Some of us conservatives are quite happy with a conservative in the WH. And yes you can still prance as far as I'm concerned;~))<BR><BR>US

tina

Save for retirement? I don't plan to retire. Kids, college (or did you mean "kids' college")? I already went to university & I don't plan to have any kids - there's an overpopulation problem, you know. Better car? I don't have a car at all, or a drivers' license - I take public transportation as it's more environmentally sound, and I can afford my multi-pass as well as travel, thanks. Bigger house? Why would I need one? There's a housing shortage where I live, and there's plenty of space in my apartment. In short, I don't see a need or have a desire for any of the things you mentioned, and find most of them rather foolish and selfish "investments". Any other suggestions?

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 11:06 AM
Toodie Dodson

My husband & I & another couple are planning on renting a houseboat & spending a week going down the Loire River in May 2001. This would be a new experience for all of us--none of us are "sailors" so would like to know of others' experiences. Our French language skills are minimal but we have all traveled in the country before. Any info would be appreciated!

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 04:33 AM
Mary

We had a fantastic experience last October in southern France on our houseboat cruise. There were six of us, with "some" marine experience; however, the boats are easy to handle. Make sure you rent bikes. We had few problems communicating with my fractured French. <BR> <BR>Have a great time.

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 09:43 PM
Bob P.

I will be canal boating in June 2000, on the Yonne River, begining at Joigny to Corbingny, alittle beyond and back to Corbingny. I believe this is just to the East of your trip. After one day on the river, I'll be in the Nevernais canal system, rising and falling in elevation via the locks, all opperated by the lock-keepers. E-mail me for more questions or suggestions as this is my first trip to France. Bob P.