House Rental Near Montepulciano - May 2020

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2019, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for house or agriturismo recommendations for a six near Montepulciano / Val D'Orcia area for late May 2020. Prefer a house with a pool. We are using a variety of websites to search for locations, appreciate any first hand references from Fodorites. Thank you.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 04:16 AM

Hi KenP,

My family and I spent a week at Cretaiole argiturismo last summer for a week. It is located on the outskirts of Pienza in Val D'Orica and is about 15mins drive from Montepulciano.

Agriturismo in Pienza Siena Tuscany

It does not have a pool but Isabella, the host, does have a fantastic hand-made guide book that includes several options for natural springs within close proximity. You can also do as much or as little of her planned activities as you desire. Hands down, the most enjoyable and relaxing family vacation that we've ever had!
Old May 23rd, 2019, 05:55 AM

We spent 5 nights at the wonderful agriturismo, Podere Spedalone in the Val D'Orcia this April. They have a pool, though it wasn't open for the season yet while we were there. Here is an excerpt from my trip report about the place. I can't say enough good things about the hospitality.

Based on comments from folks on this forum, I chose the Val D’Orcia as our home base for the remaining five nights of our trip. The selection of where to stay in the valley, though, was daunting. There were so many places with fantastic reviews and Fonte Bertusi, particularly based on reviews from this forum, was one of the top contenders. Ultimately, though, I chose Podere Spedalone because I wanted the true farm experience and wanted the ability to dine on premises as often as we wanted for dinner. The Trip Advisor reviews did not disappoint and I can’t say enough wonderful things about this place. We were welcomed by Alessandro like we were family and were treated that way throughout our stay. Each night, aperitivo hour starts at 7:30 with prosecco and still wines offered with a selection of small bites. One night, Alessandro freshly sliced his own prosciutto, on another night it was homemade pizza. Following aperitivo hour, everyone gathers in the dining room (or under the terrace, depending on the weather) and enjoys a four course meal at communal tables. The food was outstanding, featuring homemade pastas, roast pork, venison, and much more. The meals were different each night and were always followed by dessert and then an offering of limoncello, grappa, or homemade brandy. Breakfasts were similarly wonderful and kept us well satisfied until lunch rolled around. The communal atmosphere at meal time gave us the chance to talk to people from all over the world and to share travel tips. We met Alessandro’s livestock, including a pig named Rocco and a cow named Brunella, and marveled at his vegetable garden. The rooms at Podere Spedalone are comfortable and well-appointed. I could have happily stayed here for a month and hope to return when I’m next back in Tuscany. A returning guest to Spedalone who runs retreats there several times a year said it best: there are other places in Tuscany that are more luxurious than Spedalone and others that are more historic, but nowhere are you treated the way you are at Spedalone.