Reload this Page >

House of Parliament

Search

House of Parliament

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Kate

House of Parliament

I am coming to London with my three sons in Aug. and would like to take a tour of the Houses of Parliament Has anyone been on this tour? It is approximately 75 min and tickets may be purchased through first call tickets. Tours every 15 min. and should I book before I arrive?So much to see in 8 days and want to find out if this is a good choice Thanks Kate

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 04:24 PM
janis

You don't need to pay for a tour<BR><BR>You can arrange a tour of Parliament by writing to:<BR>Education Unit<BR>House of Commons, <BR>1 Derby Gate<BR>London SW1A 2DG<BR>UK<BR><BR>Admission is free - but if you want to book a, highly recommended, personal guide the fee is &pound;20 (for the group - not per person). To arrange for a guide, after you have your tour date and time, write to: <BR>Mr. Ian Davis<BR>c/o Members’ Letter Board<BR>House of Commons<BR>Westminster<BR>SW1A 0AA<BR><BR>Yes - you do need advance tickets.<BR><BR>The tour either w/ or w/o a guide is wonderful<BR>

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 04:03 AM
GJ

We took the tour last August. We bought the tickets in advance through Ticketmaster and the nominal cost was well worth the convenience. I think you'll really enjoy the experience. I highly recommend it.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:47 PM
xxxxx

We took a tour last September - did not book in advance just walked up and had about half an hours wait until our slot.<BR>Very interesting and most informative - don't miss it.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 10:51 PM
keith

Yes, you do need a ticket and they are not free in Aug. The education dept can <BR>get you free tickets but in Aug-Sept.<BR>You must buy a ticket. It is well worth a visit.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 12:59 PM
Jacob

I toured both houses this past April & just showed up in front. The members are late risers and don't get going 'til afternoon, so show up about 4 pm. If you're pressed for time, go past the line & tell a guard you want to see the House of Lords (the line of people is for the House of Commons). I was told to go right in the entrance & only had a short wait. The Lords House is more impressive to look at. Be prepared for a good security check complete with frisking.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 04:27 AM
douglas

Actually if you arrive when they are in session you might be able to get into the "strangers gallery", which is a balcony above the main floor of the House of Commons. We did this, it was free, and very interesting. If you have ever watched C-Span and seen the cat calls, yelling back and forth, etc, it is great to see it in person. We sat and watched and listened for quite some time. Security is tight, all items have to be checked upon entry and picked up when you leave.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:42 AM
Gareth

Please remember that in August the House has 'risen' for the Summer. That mean that while the building might be open there will be no debates going on and the chambers might be closed for Summer works programmes. Please check.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:51 AM
xxx

Order your tickets in advance. When we were there in February, people without tickets were being turned away.<BR><BR><BR>www.parliament.uk