hotels with kids Italy and London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Europe July 17 - Aug 7, arriving in London for a few nights, then Paris with friends who have a flat already booked then on to Italy. We have two kids ages 13 and 10 and I need to make reservations at a hotel in London and for our stays in Italy. In Italy, we'll probably visit Venice, Rome, and somewhere in the Tuscany region. What do you recommend for a well-located reasonably priced hotel in London (under $200 US dollars) and what do you recommend in Italy including what city to stop in in the Tuscany region when traveling with kids ages 13 and 10.

Thanks!
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 09:06 PM

Not to be alarmist, but you will be hard pressed to find a hotel for under $200 USD in London (that's about 99 GBP). That's not to say it's impossible. Priceline, and a few hotels will often offer reasonable rates in central London.

With kids, I think a nice place to stay is the Kensingon area. It's quiet, close to the Victoria & Albert Museum (should your kids feel inspired to take in a museum), and close to Hyde Park.

Another section I found would be nice is the Holborn area, but this is mainly for the parents. I found the Holborn area to be very busy in the day time, but rather quiet at night. Close to the British Museum.

As for what city to stop in with kids, I have no clue. I will defer to fellow Fodorites with kids.

But it would be helpful to know what your kids are interested in? Painting? Walking? Statues? Gelato? Lots of old stuff? Things they've seen on TV (like the statue of David)? Or "other?"
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 09:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
A quad for less than £99 a night - pretty difficult. And two rooms on Priceline would also cost more than $200 by the time you add in taxes/fees.

You should look into renting a flat - still tough to find a nice one for much less than £99 a night.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

ok - good feedback - how about $300 US dollars? does that open up more opportunities?
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 09:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You can try the County Hall Premier Travel Inn - but it is VERY popular due to its rates, location, and allows two young children in the same room as their parents at the same price. They are booked up most of the time so contact them ASAP
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 10:07 PM

Take a look here. Several places will allow you to come in around your budget:
http://www.lsevacations.co.uk/

For example, two twin rooms at Passfield Hall will come to 52x2=104 pounds per night for bed and breakfast, plus the use of a kitchen and laundry facilities.

Bankside House has a quad room ensuite for 99 pounds per night, including breakfast.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 05:06 AM

145 Euro for a quad in Italy during high season is going to be nearly impossible to find, especially in expensive cities like Venice and Rome. Possibly spend more time in Tuscany and rent an apartment/villa and less time in the cities. Check for prices and availability on venere.com and eurocheapo.com. I take my 13 and 10 year old to Italy quite a bit. When traveling in the summer, we always look for a place with a pool. Kids can get very irritable after touring all day in 100 degree heat and humidity and it makes life a lot easier to come "home" to a pool. For inexpensive villas in Tuscany that have pools, check the listings and reviews at Slowtrav.com.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 06:11 AM

I agree with Grinisia about trying to find a rental, ideally one with a pool, rather than looking for quad hotel rooms in multiple (hot) Italian cities. we visited Provence for several weeks when our kids were 8 and 12 and the pool really helped. In general, having more space in an apartment or villa has also been a big plus for our family.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 06:19 AM

Absolutely look into an apartment rental whenever possible. In smaller towns you usually have to rent for a week, but in the big cities like London and Paris, etc. you can find nightly apartment rentals. We travel with our kids (5 and 10) often and rarely stay in hotels any more.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the info everybody - I"ll be back with more questions soon...never taken the kids to Europe before and haven't been ourselves since '87!
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 09:17 PM

Take a look at the YHA hostels in London. St. Pancras has family rooms, and breakfast is included in the rate.
http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommoda...ras/index.aspx

Lee Ann
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 04:19 AM

It is possible in London - but it won't be luxurious. Look at www.lastminute.com - there are quad rooms available in London for your stay.