Hotels on the Amalfi Coast

Oct 17th, 2000, 06:44 AM
diana creighton

Hotels on the Amalfi Coast

My husband and I are trying to plan a trip to Italy next May for 2 weeks. One on the Amalfi Coast the other in Taormina. Could anyone suggest hotels in Positano or Amalfi in the 3 star catagory. Also, suggestions on how to book the hotels to get the best price; through an agent the internet. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Oct 17th, 2000, 07:45 AM
Heather

I was just researching a trip for next year and found the May 1997 issue of Travel & Leisure, which includes an article on the most romantic hotels on the Amalfi Coast. It is also on the magazine's Internet site (http://www.pathfinder.com/travel/TL/tarticles/297.html). The article is called "By The Sea; Italy's Amalfi Coast; Five enchanting hotels on Italy's Amalfi Coast remind you how sweet it is to do nothing".

I'm sorry that this isn't first-hand feedback, but hope it helps.

Oct 17th, 2000, 08:10 AM
clay

Diana:

Beware of scooters!!

Many (if not most) of the hotels along the coast road are right on the street. The motor scooters go all night there and are quite loud. We found a couple of more isolated hotels off the main drag which had less noise. I'm sorry but can't remember any of the names.. Also, many of the less expensive hotels have it, but don't turn on the air conditioning until later in the summer, so if that is important to you.... Positano is a vertical town built on a staircase (which poses it's own complications, but is likely to give you more isoation from the traffic noise.

Oct 17th, 2000, 10:40 AM
henry

Check out Ravello. It's gorgeous! We stayed at a beautiful hotel called Palazzo Sasso... Very private and romantic... The jacuzzi on the roof deck is simply amazing...

Oct 17th, 2000, 11:42 AM
Daniel

I highly recommend Villa Rosa in Positano where we stayed last month. The private terraces (where your breakfast is served each morning) have spectacular views of the town and the coast, and the service is excellent. Here is a page from Karen Brown's website:
http://www.karenbrown.com/italy/villarosa.html

The photos do NOT lie. The view is almost exactly what we had from our terrace.

I also agree that Ravello is spectacular. We checked out the Villa Maria there (you must at least "do lunch" on the incredible terrace there), but I think it is a bit more pricey.

Finally, I saw lots of "scooters" but didn't hear any from our room at Villa Rosa, even with the French doors open at night.

Oct 17th, 2000, 07:48 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Diana, I love the Casa Albertina but you will need good legs. The Cinque
brothers are great hosts and the views
are spectacular.