Search

Hotels Malaga

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels Malaga

Hi am already in Europe and we saw a good fare to Malaga from Switzerland.

The hotels seem quite reasonable so we would like a 4 star hotel in a good location. Most of the 4 stars seem to be under 100 euros. We plan on using Malaga as a base since it's near the airport and hop around to a few different towns. We will not be renting a car and will use the train system so I guess I would like to be walking distance to the Renfe.
First trip to Southern Spain so would appreciate some suggestions for hotels.
Thanks
Pat
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 05:06 AM

I am pasting here a Doc I have ready prepared on this subject:

HOTELES EN MALAGA

Hi, Fodorite.
I have been checking hotels, and I am writing them downbelow, from near to far from the city center (when I say far, I mean a short walk, let's say 10 mins ). The following are in the very city center, a short walk from mostly every place.
www.hotel-larios.com is in the very center of Malaga, which is the Plaza de la Constitucion. It has no parking, but they may have some arrangement with nearby municipal pk. building. Though the center is pedestrian-only, it is permitted access by car to the hotel door, where a porter'll take care of luggage.
www.ac-hotels.com and select Malaga Palacio. A traditional hotel, recently fully restored. Location as the doncurro, in the photo you値l see. It is a good hotel, has parking in the adjacent building (but I think it has limited space. I recommend checking with them).
www.hoteldoncurro.com functional, 5min from center (I mean the Pza. Constitucion), across the street from AC Malaga palacio. PK: same as before.
www.nh-hotels.com and select nh Malaga. It is modern, recently built, with good parking. Located 10 min from center, along the promenade and crossing the river. Very near El Corte Ingles department stores. Good choice as well.
www.eurostarshotels.org and look for Astoria Malaga, functional recently restored, with own garage, 10 mins, this side of the river (Guadalmedina). Very near the nh, which is the other side of the river. Only problem is that faces west, sunset, direct sun all afternoon and evening, an issue in summer.
www.solmelia.com go to Tryp Alameda. A new building as part of a shopping mall. That side of the river. Own pk., very near El Corte Ingles. This is the farthest, 15-20min, but I see it has good offers, so you save for taxis.

I have considered other two: Kris Tribuna and Malaga Centro, one in front of the other with the river in the middle. These are 10-15 min., but north from the others, and to go to the centre (or back) you have to cross streets that are unpleasant, especially at night.

There are other hotels recently opened but I don稚 know, such as Molina Lario (right in front of Malaga Palace) or Atarazanas, and lower budget hotels such as Sol or Venecia. And many other hotels that are not in the city center, though a short ride by bus (or a medium to long walk) from the center.
Now you take your time and check offers, I have seen they change a lot. And e-mail them if you have any doubt.
Regards,
Josele.

Old Aug 31st, 2007, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your reply. We picked the Hotel Larios and I am sure it will be lovely.
Pat
Old Aug 31st, 2007, 07:17 AM

Be sure not to miss the view from the Terrace Bar at the Larios. Have a nice stay.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:04 AM
Original Poster

Wouldn't think of missing the terrace

Can you recommend any good restaurants in Malaga?

Thanks again
Pat
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:22 AM

Budget? Any food restriction? Fish or meat? Table or tapas?
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Hi again,

We prefer fish to meat and would like to try both tapas and table service. Budget is not an issue - more interested in good food.
Thanks again
Pat
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 12:34 AM

MALAGA: EATING RECOMMENDATIONS.
There are many good bars and restaurants; those I mention are my personal choice. If you get a map, you値l have no trouble finding the places. Besides, these are places well-known by locals, just ask. Time to begin with Tapas is about 1,00 or 1,30 PM. Lunch from 2,30PM. Try to be local and avoid having lunch at 12,30PM.
Tapas bars: from Hotel Larios door cross to calle Moreno Monroy, the ORELLANA (for me the best), and a short walk via calle Fresca to the Cathedral, Plaza del Obispo, to sit and have a drink in our best square. Several options there, including a Cheers, but there is as well a Cañas and Tapas. Another is walking Larios street towards the harbour, on the right, calle Marin Garcia you値l find LO GÜENO.
From Plaza Constitucion, take calle Santa Maria, and on the first corner on the left (calle Sanchez Pastor) there is QUITAPENAS, another trad. bar-tavern. It was located nearby, in an old building that fell down, so they had to build a new place. They serve mostly fried fish, squids, shrimps.
In the narrow part of Calle Granada, to the right, (past corner with San Agustin and the Picasso Museum) there is BODEGA EL PIMPI, a must. It is a big place, walk the full length of it, with another door to Alcazabilla and the Roman Theatre.
In the Alameda Principal you have CASA DEL GUARDIA, a traditional tavern you simply cannot miss, for a drink of our local sweet wines. Beware, it goes fast to the head. Only food there are cold shellfish. Open all day long.
Restaurants: Chances are you値l eat well any place you choose, but I値l recommend my choices, with local cuisine.:
Parador de Gibralfaro restaurant, great view. You値l have to take a taxi. Reservations at 952221902.
For a fish restaurant my choice is EL CALEÑO, at Playas de Pedregalejo. It is about 5 miles to the east. Take a taxi to the Carreterita (Calle Bolivia) corner with Arroyo de los Pilones. There you walk to the beach (10 mtrs. and 50 mtrs left. All stuff is first class. Not to miss Malaga shrimps if available, or Cigalas. Another dish I like is Fish cooked under a salt crust: pescado a la sal. Tell the man (Chico) I am sending you. Make your reservation (or ask the Hotel clerk do it in your name, they don稚 speak fluent English) for the terrace at 952299148.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Josele or should I say Chico)
Thank you so much for the fantastic list of restaurants/bars and I really appreciate the telephone numbers.
I am printing this out immediately.
Once again, thank you for all your help.
Sincerely
Pat
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 11:42 AM

Chico is the name (nickname, his christian name is Rafael) of El Caleño's owner.
When are you coming?
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

We arrive Monay the 10th!
Pat
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 11:02 PM

I was asking because some places close next month or Nov. You will have no problem with that, only that Caleño closes every monday. Weather is fine here, big heat is behind. You'll have a good time.