Hotels/info in Nice

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 10:04 AM
travis christ

Hotels/info in Nice

Any recommendations for mid range hotels in Nice? Ideas for what to do there with only 2/3 days? How will weather be around xmas/new years?

Is the tgv the only train to Paris or is there a cheaper alternative?

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 09:11 AM
Tjbrown

Try Hotel Gounod. Nice, clean, and moderately priced. Walking distance to the beach, train station (for day trips to Monte Carlo or Italian Riveria), and Post Office. The address is 3 Rue Gounod 060000, fax 04 93 16 4200.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 09:50 AM
beth

I've found that it is relatively inexpensive to fly from Paris to Nice on Air France. I would travelocity or expedia and see what the current rates are.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Christina

I suppose you could cobble together a way to get to Paris non-TGV on slow-running trains, at least part of the way, but I wouldn't advise it as the cost isn't that different, not worth the big difference in time and the train isn't that expensive to begin with IMO. For example, I see a $20 difference between TGV and regular train Nice-Avignon (I suppose it's more like $25 since you need a reservation for the TGV but not the other if you are willing to go without one). I'm not sure they have nonTGV between Avignon and Paris, though. You can get much cheaper train tickets if you buy them ahead and get one of those APEX fares, then they aren't that expensive at all.

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 12:12 PM
amy

We stayed at Hotel La Perouse in September and loved it. Nice balcony overlooking the water. The service was great too. Have fun!

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Mara

I stayed at the Primotel Suisse (right next to La Perouse) with balcony overlooking the water at 480 francs for one person/nite in November). Highly recommend it!