Search

B&B rec's for Killarney & Bunratty?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&B rec's for Killarney & Bunratty?

Hi everybody:

My husband and I are going to spend 3 nights in Killarney in mid-March (although some folks have been encouraging us to stay in the smaller, perhaps more charming Kenmare, we think that the slightly broader range of restaurants in Killarney will be good for us, since we're vegetarians).

Does anyone know of a good B&B? Priorities: simple, clean, en-suite rooms, and an excellent breakfast. We'd like to pay about $85/night for both of us.

Oh, and now that I think about it, I guess I'd like recommendations for Bunratty too. We've already booked a room at the Emlaugh Lodge in Dingle, and it looks lovely. We're still trying to decide if we're going to spend a night in Doolin.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:44 PM

Killarney is OK but it is a large town (small city) You just don't get a feel for Ireland. Having said that I would again vote against Doolin and vote for Ballyvaugh, perfect for a tour of the Burren and a short hop to the cliffs. Have fun
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:52 PM

I think that the restaurants in Kenmare far surpass Killarney in quality. There are quite a few for such a small town too. You will have no problems getting vegetarian meals in Ireland. Every menu has many vegetarian selections.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:54 PM

Forgot your request for a Bunratty B&B. I really like Bunratty Lodge and so do quite a few others on this forum. If you do a search you will find many reviews. Bunratty Lodge has a good reputation, good host, great breakfast, clean comfortable rooms and is 10 minutes from the airport. What more could you want?
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 09:58 PM

Hi Cahilla,
Doolin's fine - just very small. We did have an enjoyable walk from our B&B to the ocean early in the morning. We walked at the edge of the Burren. However I like Ballyvaughan or Lisdoonvarna better as they're slightly bigger.

Kenmare is a far better place to stay than Killarney. Kenmare is known for it's good food and there's lots of interesting restaurants, including a couple that focus on seafood. We spent a week in Kenmare with our son, a fellow vegetarian, and he found lots of great options.

Killarney is large w/ serious traffic and large institutional buildings - not at all what most of us travel to Ireland to experience. Kenmare is simply charming.

Good luck with your decisions!