Hotels in Venice

Old Nov 28th, 1999, 11:21 AM
Mary

Hotels in Venice

We are planning a spur of the moment trip in January, and have been doing some research. Has anyone used any of these hotels in Venice? <BR> <BR>Hotel Minerva e Nettuno <BR>Hotel Messner <BR>Hotel Reiter <BR> <BR>Or, any other recommendations. Any help is appreciated.

Old Nov 28th, 1999, 11:28 AM
richard j vicek

<BR>Good afternoon, Mary Have not stayed <BR>a either of these 3 hotels. Have used <BR>the ALA, DOPOZZI, LAFENICE and the SAT- <BR>URNIA..all were very good hotels and <BR>within 5 mins walk to the Pza S. Marco. <BR>Check into url's <BR>www.veniceinfo.it/ (has location maps) <BR>www.sanmarcohotels.it/ <BR>www.hotelguide.ch/ <BR>Dress warm. Richard of Hickoryu Hills, IL.... <BR>PS if you want locations on these three <BR>hotels drop me an e mail and will reply <BR>promptly... <BR>rjv <BR>

Old Nov 28th, 1999, 11:42 AM
Maira

Mary---- I stayed at the Hotel Paganelli and thought it was a good deal. The basics I still have on record about this hotel is their phone number (back in May '94) was 041-522-4324. Located in RIVA SCHIAVONI 4182, VERY <BR>CLOSE to Piazza San Marco (2 short blocks) in front of the lagoon with FIVE vaporetto lines making stops almost exactly in front of the hotel building (Vaporetto Ferovia & Lido and Motoscafo Ferovia & Lido are the closest boat lines from/to the parking lot across the lagoon). The cost in May 94 was about $85/night double room. It is very charming because is an old italian mansion. The furniture is very "Venetian". Been an old house it has the creaky floors, and a small <BR>courtyard, but I found it very charming. The owner was a very kind and helpful old man. It also has its own restaurant. It has been recommended before on this forum. You can ask for a room overlooking the canal. (For what is worth, a fellow Fodorite called Carol shared a while back that the Paganelli has been a hotel since the 19th Century and that the writer Henry James used to stayed there whenever in Venice!)

Old Nov 29th, 1999, 02:48 AM
Paulo

I've stayed at the Minerva & Netuno many years ago. Clean, simple and quite dark but big (for Venice standards) rooms. Very close to the train station. 1-star hotel. I estimate you should be paying aroung Lit 110,000 in January, much cheaper than the Messner and Reiter. <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Nov 29th, 1999, 03:32 AM
Anna

We stayed at the Londra Palace on the lagoon. You will find it on the smal luxury hotels website (www.slh.com). I would definately recommend it. It is a couple of doors from the Danielli, so very close to St. Marks Square and the Bridge of Sighs. It is not cheap (approx. £250 per night), but a steal compared to the Danielli, Gritti Palace and Cipriani. The staff could not be more friendly and helpful. And every room has a jacuzzi.

Old Nov 29th, 1999, 05:28 AM
Rex

I recently visited hotel Messner - - and found it "satisfactory" at best (of course, the price is very good - - another case of you get what you pay for?) - - make sure you understand the location. I'm not saying that the location is unacceptable, but I don't know if it would be my choice. for me, the killer was learning that rooms I had reserved were in an "annex" at least 100 yards away from the main building. It probably sounds very picky, but it felt that like they were off in some exiled non-hotel building. <BR> <BR>I believe in trying to say something nice whenever applicable - - the public/dining spaces looked attractive enough; however we couldn't actually have lunch there (at about 2:15 p.m. - - too late for their kitchen). <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Nov 29th, 1999, 06:28 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Mary, I believe the Reiter is at the Lido--is that where you want to stay. <BR>The best combination of price and location I know is the Galleria next to <BR>the Accademia bridge. You can reach them <BR>at [email protected]---expect to pay about <BR>90 to $100 for a double. Good luck !