hotels in Taormina

Search

hotels in Taormina

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2003, 12:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotels in Taormina

I've searched all the forum archives and have become reasonable familiar with the frequently recommended hotels in Taormina. What I'm looking for is a reasonably priced hotel which is also convenient if you are traveling by car. We plan to stay in Taormina for 3 nights.
I'd appreciate any input from anybody who has stayed in Taormina with a car.

Also, is anybody familiar with the Villa Sirina?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 12:40 AM
Original Poster

In the post above, I'm asking about Taormina in Sicily.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 03:15 AM

I dropped my car off right before I went to Taormina. I stayed at Pensione Svizzera. It would probably be a good place to stay with a car because it is just on the edge of town, it's not off the main street. And I believe their website states that for about 7E? a day they can provide parking.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 04:21 AM

I really liked the Hotel Villa Schuler, but it has only a couple of free parking spaces, and it's first-come, first-served. It does list other parking options in town. You won't need your car once you get to Taormina. http://www.villaschuler.com/english/default.asp
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Actually, I've heard so much how beautiful Taormina is, that I thought it would be a good place to stay for 3 nights and use as a base to explore the area, as well as visit the town itself. So, that's why I'm looking for a hotel which is convenient for someone with a car.

Old Sep 6th, 2003, 06:33 AM

I booked a hotel called the Hotel Victoria right on the Corso Umberto.In Frommers book for Sicily it is rated a 2 star but also indicates "It's unusual to find a good goverment- rated two- star hotel in Taormina, and this one is conviently located smack in the middle of the action".We are paying $93 euros a night for a triple room and includes breakfast.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 09:29 AM

I stayed at the Bellevedere (spelling). It's a very nice hotel with great views and a reasonable price. It does have a small parking lot.

The difficulty with Taormina is that it's basically one, big one-way steet that is very narrow...not the easiest place in the world to drive, or park. If you pass your hotel you have to go around the entire city loop again. But, after you make this mistake once, it shouldn't be a problem.

The Bellevedere is kind of at the end of the loop, so you can leave town fairly quickly, but have to go through the whole town when you arrive.

The parking lot is a mass of cars plugged into any hole that's available...the standard Italian parking method...I happily paid the hotel attendent 5 euros to park my car for me (this is optional).

You'll enjoy Taormina, a lovely town in a beautiful setting.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 01:08 PM

Jim, the attendant at the Belevedere made it clear that we were not to park our own car. They parked it and got it out for us each time. The reasoning was clear. They leave about 6 inches between cars and touching bumpers. I looked at some cars and couldn't imagine how the parker ever got in and out of the door. They know they can get more cars in than if people parked their own cars. Sure we tipped him too, but there was clearly no option of parking your own car when we were there last year.

But to answer sssteve, I'd say the Belvedere is as easily accessible as any other hotel and certainly is a good one. They sent me arrival directions by email which were totally clear and exact. But for what it's worth, the first time we stayed there we didn't have a car. The second time we did, but never drove it. We took the bus down to the beach area, and walked everywhere else. Who would want to leave Taormina? But if you do want to, of course, you can.
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 04:22 PM

Yes, Patrick...that's the place. If I recall the lot is even on a bit of a slope. I was there in 2001.

I don't remember them insisting that they park the cars, but it makes sense the way you explain it.

I do recall that they had a wonderful breakfast served in room with a great view of Mt. Etna.