Hotels in St. Malo, France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only have one day to visit St. Malo and then head off for a morning at Mont Saint Michel (I heard a person can see Mont St. Michel in half a day).

Has anyone ever stayed at a hotel fronting the train station in St. Malo (rather than staying in INTRAMUROS)?

I figured it would be more convenient since the bus to Mont St. Michel can be taken from the train station.

BUT! In my experience, many areas where the train station is located isn't as safe.

Is this true for St. Malo? I hope not since this isn't a big city.

Any advice?
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 04:45 AM

I'm not aware of where the train station is, as we never saw it in our several days in St. Malo.

It is true you can "see" Mont St. Michel in half a day -- or even less. You can "see" Paris in that time too. But it is too bad you'll apparently miss experiencing the Mount at night when all the other thousands who came just to "see" it have left.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 05:36 AM

I agree with Patrick regarding Mont St. Michel. If we go back, we are definitely going to stay overnight on the Mont. We stayed overnight at a hotel just before the causeway where we had an awesome view of the Mont lit up at night. But, I would recommend staying at one of the hotels on the Mont. To have the Mont to yourselves without all the day tourists would be fantastic. IMHO - stay overnight and take the opportunity to really explore the Mont. Maybe even take a horse ride out on the sands for a different experience.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 05:45 AM

A silly addition -

I was here for a weekend side trip and was just about as stressed from studies as I could be. I found a vendor selling inexpensive kites and took one out on the beach. The little kid in me had such a terrific time. After my "therapy," I handed my kite off to a little kid with her parents.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:40 AM

I take issue with your post, moldyhotelsaregross (but I love your screen name!).

Why on earth would you call this a "silly addition"? You've given the kind of brief story that vacations are really all about! Great memories.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 07:12 AM

Patrick -

Thanks for the validation but I knew my response wasn't in the nature of her post asking about the lodging. I just had a quick "nostalgia" moment.

Ok... back to the lodging discussion. I remember feeling very safe and "valued" in St. Malo. We felt like very welcome visitors to the city due to the kindness of all those with whom we came in contact. Seeing we were on a college budget at the time, I am sure we stayed near the train station. Although on a budget, we were always very selective and cautious while travelling through Europe. I remember vividly how much I loved scallops from a Chinese restaurant there. They really made an impression on me! I don't recall any sort of bad/wary memories related to anything in St. Malo but that was in 91 and hopefully someone will post more recent commentary.

I do remember that my legs were sore after walking to the top of MSM! The effort was well worth it though. I was fascinated with the big "hampster like wheel" that they used to have prisoners power by walking to move building materials up the hill.

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 07:19 AM

Since I live in France I have been to Mt ST Michel with many guests and also to St Malo. I never see the attraction of St Malo; it's pretty but so is any seaside town in Brittany.

Yes, you can 'do' the Mont in one day but if i were you, I'd stay on the mont and not in St Malo.

St Malo is a small town and very safe, train station and otherwise. =)