Hotels in Rome for single woman traveling alone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please forgive my newbie mistakes! I am traveling to Rome for at least 5 days in early April. I am looking for a nice hotel that will allow easy access to the Metro and walking to nearby sites. I am very travel savvy but have never been to Rome.
I want a hotel that is in an area that is safe for walking, even in the evenings. I'm not afraid but I'm not dumb either. I was told to stay away from Termini. A friend suggested Spagna but another said it's not central.
I like light, spare hotel rooms that are quiet, have comfortable beds, breakfast, wi-fi (I have to work while I'm there) and a safe in the room. A bath tub would make it perfect. Nice staff a plus. I can spend up to $220/night.
Any neighborhood suggestions as well as specific hotel recommendations will be gratefully received!
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 03:06 PM

Lots of women like Hotel San Carlo for what you suggest. There are numerous options that would work, though. I stayed at Hotel Julia which was fine for me (but might not be as deluxe as you want).
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I'll look into it. Any other suggestions in the neighborhood?
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 07:29 AM

The Hotel Portoghesi is very nice and near the Pantheon and also not far from Piazza Navona-safe and interesting, safe places to walk around at night.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 07:37 AM

I absolutely love the Hotel Modigliani, which was recommended here on Fodors. I've stayed there twice, once alone, and felt perfectly safe. It's on a very quiet street not too far from the Piazza di Spagna. I never use the metro in Rome so can't even tell you if it's close to that. But a lovely little hotel.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 08:21 AM

If you want something central where you have a front desk staff on detail 24 hours and at least knowing that the carbanieri or polizia are nearby should you need them - I suggest the Albergo del Senato in the Piazza della Rotunda. Located adjacent to the pantheon, it is a relly nice hotel with wonderful services and a great rooftop bar. Also, since you are travelling alone, might I suggest going to www.journeywoman.com they have lots of great suggestions for women traveler. Buon viaggio!
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 08:48 AM

I second the rec for the Portoghesi. I like the location a lot, very close to Piazza Navona but on a quiet side street, and there are a lot of great restaurants within walking distance.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 09:51 AM

hi
when I traveled alone in 2003 I stayed at www.hoteljulia.it
I felt 100% safe at the hotel and in the neighborhood.
It is right near the Trevi.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 10:34 AM

I have stayed alone in three different hotels in Rome, including one of the hotels mentioned here, Albergo del Senato, in November. I've also stayed at the Hotel Ponte Sisto and the Daphne Inn and felt completely safe in all three. At the first two, I was able to negotiate a much better rate than what was advertised.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! You are all so generous. I'll gladly accept any and all advice. And if you need same re Madrid, where I have spent a lot of time, please feel free to ask!
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 12:29 PM

There is nothing wrong with staying near Termini. In fact, two of Rome's most expensive 5-star hotels--Boscolo Exedra and St. Regis Grand--are practically across the street at Piazza Repubblica.

If you do decide to stay at Hotel Modigliani, you can pick up the Metro at Spagna or Barberini, very short walks away. (Do NOT stop at any of the stores on Via Sistina if you stay at this hotel. They all OVERCHARGE. A take away Coke Lite is 3 euros at shops on this street.)

I have walked past the Hotel Portoghesi and I agree it is in a very charming, safe location.

Keith and I stayed at the St. Regis Grand, but it was $450 a night for our room. I don't know if you want to pay that much.

Thin
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 12:40 PM

I also stayed at the St. Regis Grand for the first part of my trip in November but I wasn't alone and it is above your budget (my company paid for this portion of the trip, which is the reason I stayed there). I then moved to the much cheaper Albergo del Senato. I agree with Thin, that area is safe, but for me, it wasn't as convenient as other parts of the city.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 12:21 PM

Louisa, what did you think of the Laura Tonato bath products?

I must say that they knew how to brew a proper pot of coffee at the St. Regis Grand. It was the only coffee in Rome that gave me my morning jolt.

The doors of the rooms were very loud when they slammed shut. I found that VERY annoying.

Thin
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 01:25 PM

Oh Thin, thank you for transporting me back to those memories. The bath products were heavenly and the coffee was perfect but I was going for the extra jolt so I only ordered doppio. Another very nice touch was on my last night when they brought me a wonderful bottle of wine and a cheese plate, gratis.

I really loved sitting in the lobby area at night with a drink admiring the chandelier and the decor. Did you go downstairs into the wine cellar? We had a wine tasting there one evening.

I do not recall that the doors were loud but maybe I was in a quiet area.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 02:19 PM

Oh, yes, the cheese plate was fabulous. Keith at most of it within 5 minutes. I got only a tiny shard.

They also gave us a beautiful fruit bowl. Unfortunately, I am allergic to almost all uncooked fruit (oral allergy syndrome). I could only eat the kiwi fruit.

We didn't go down to the wine cellar but we did run up and down the grand staircase and steal soap from the maid's cart.

Thin
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BuffCrone, I think you will find most recommendations here are perfectly safe for a solo woman traveler (or solo man traveler or groups of tens and twelves). I've stayed at Del Senato and agree that it's very nice and extremely central. Might be above your price point so certainly take a look at the other suggestions and do a search on the board if you need more ideas.

Enjoy your trip. I love Rome; I hope you do too.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 12:04 AM

I love the location of Albergo del Senato, in the square with the Pantheon. Nice hotel, feels very safe.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 01:39 AM

I just stayed (alone) @ the Hotel Milton orig. thinking it was out of the way. NOT! Directly across street on Line A
(the cleaner line) is the Marzoni station & a cafe; next door a tobacco store for metro tix. Walk to the coliseum; 2 inexpensive restos nearby.
I had a single room w/bath. Their breakfast is HUGE; so much so it will carry you thru lunch.
Very personable & helpful front desk.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Any experience with Hotel Diocleziano? Your suggestions are all wonderful but I'm trying to bring down the cost a bit. Thanks again for your generous advice.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 09:04 AM

Hotel Diocleziano is right next to the Termini. While I don't think the area is "unsafe" its a little seedy and charmless, as is the area around the railway station in most major cities.

You probably won't use the metro in Rome as much as you think. It skirts the medieval center to avoid destroying antiquities.

To see the most desirable central areas for accommodation, go to www.venere.com and select the "Find Hotels on Map" feature. You want to stay in the areas they designate "Navona", "Pantheon", or "Trevi".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -