Hotels in Rome?

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 05:57 AM
Lisa

Hotels in Rome?

Any recommendations for hotels in Rome that has a pool? My husband and 2 children will be staying for 6 days before heading south. <BR> <BR>Also, we have extra time before heading to Positano...with a stop in Pompeii. Any ideas on any special stops we can make? Thanks

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 11:34 AM
Maira

If you have parking needs, want a pool, want to have a family park nearby, and want a bit of pampering, I strongly suggest the Sheraton Roma. Look for the Entertainment Book (are you familiar with this discount coupons books?) and the room should be 50% off. The only drawback is that they are not located in central old Rome (about 5 minutes van ride). They do, however, have a courtesy van that drop/pick-up guests every hour on the hour at the Campidoglio area.

Old Dec 10th, 2000, 08:03 PM
lynn

Word to the wise about visiting Pompeii: <BR>1. Drive straight in. <BR>2. Visit the ruins. <BR>3. Get good directions to drive straight out. <BR> <BR>We got lost on our way out of Pompeii and it was scary. Pompeii is a dirt-bag town, and stopping to ask directions was not an alternative. But the ruins were very cool, and we walked thru with a book... and i don't suggest that either. I would recommend a walking tour. The official tour guides, I'm sure, would bring it more to life more than any book can do. <BR>Remember that Positano is kinda "in the middle" of the Amalfi Coastline, and with the winding roads, it will take some time to get there from either Sorrento OR Salerno.

Old Dec 10th, 2000, 08:10 PM
betsy

Maira <BR> <BR>I have the 2001 Entertainment Book for San Jose and Santa Clara Counties (CA). It lists no European hotels. Does your edition list specific hotels (or chains) in Europe, and if so, which ones? <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Dec 16th, 2000, 10:45 AM
Maira

Betsy (and Lisa)--- I did a bit of research at the http//www.entertainmentbooks.com site. The edition that you have is the city edition ($20). The edition for my city (Albany area in NY) is expanded to include international travel ($40). They still have 50% discount coupons for hundreds of hotels in Europe, including for 186 hotels in Italy. You may want to contact them thru their website to see if they could sell you the expanded version.

Old Dec 16th, 2000, 10:51 AM
Maira

II Part (I decided to split my reply to ensure posting). <BR> <BR>We have used these coupons with no problems at the Sheratons in Munich, Rome and Padova. <BR> <BR>The Sheraton Roma is located at Viale del Pattinaggio 100. <BR> <BR>The following is an excerpt of the Rules as posted on the Entertainment Boook website: <BR> <BR>"Here's How To Save 50% Off Rack Room Rates... <BR> <BR>Choose a Hotel <BR> <BR>Choose from a wide range of listings for hotels, motels and resorts. <BR> <BR>Make Advance Reservations <BR> <BR>Make a reservation prior to checking in by calling the hotel phone number in the directory listing. Ask for the reservations department and identify yourself as an "Entertainment® Member." Reservations with the discount will be accepted until the hotel expects to be 80% full for the dates requested. (See "What is Availability" ) Some hotels accept discount reservations only when made 30 days or less before arrival. This is indicated in the listing with the code "R30." <BR> <BR>Confirm Your Reservation and Rate <BR> <BR>Confirm your reservation and discounted room rate by asking for a confirmation number and the reservationist's name. <BR> <BR>Check-In <BR> <BR>Present your Entertainment® Membership Card at check-in. The card may only be used for the date(s) confirmed in advance. The directory listings are valid now thru December 30, 2001.

Old Dec 16th, 2000, 11:09 AM
Maira

Part III. More on the Rules on how to use the Entertainment 50% Discount coupons for overseas hotels (copy/paste from their website): <BR> <BR>"WHAT IS AVAILABILITY? <BR> <BR>Reservations with the Entertainment® discount are accepted based on projected unoccupied hotel rooms and will be available until the hotel expects to be 80% full. At that point, the hotel will reserve rooms at full rates only. If traveling during a peak season, convention or special event, you may find the discount is unavailable because the hotel expects to be 80% full or it may not be available every night of your stay. <BR>If the hotel is unable to confirm the Entertainment® discount and no explanation is offered, be sure to ask for further information. Ask to check alternate travel dates, call back at a time closer to your travel dates or contact other hotels listed in the area. Due to limited availability, some hotels offering discounts on "any room" may exclude suites, concierge and premium rooms. Hotels participate in the program on an individual basis. Call only the telephone number(s) printed in the directory listing and be sure to let them know you are an "Entertainment® Member." <BR>Hotels may discount only one room per membership card and the cards are non-transferable. <BR> <BR>DISCOUNT RATE <BR> <BR>Your 50% discount is for savings on the rack room rate which hotels consider their non-discounted, full-price rate. If you have additional people in the room, an extra person charge may apply. Since hotels offer a variety of rates and packages, it is important to identify yourself as an "Entertainment® Member" before making reservations. <BR>Occasionally, hotels may offer their own promotional rates. Promotional rates are short-term prices available during temporary or traditionally low periods. If these rates are the same or lower than those with your 50% discount off of rack room rates, which gives you the best savings, you are entitled to receive 10% off the promotional rate. <BR>You may find several all-inclusive resorts and hotels in the listings. Some include special amenities or a meal plan included in the rate. These properties extend a 25% discount off the non-discounted, all-inclusive, MAP or FAP rate. Be sure to confirm what is included in the rate before making reservations. <BR>Discounts under the Entertainment® program apply only to the rack room rate and do not apply to packages, weekend, group/convention rates or travel agency bookings, and cannot be combined with other discount rate programs. Before confirming your reservations, be sure to ask for the hotel's policy on advance deposits, cancellations and guaranteeing late arrival."

Old Dec 16th, 2000, 11:32 AM
Maira

The following are the hotels in Rome with a 50% discount if using the Entertainment Book: <BR> <BR>Hotel Impero- Via Del Viminale 19 <BR>Astoria Garden- Via Bachslet <BR> 39-06-4469908 <BR>Diplomatic- Via Victoria Colonna 39-06- <BR>Enea Hotel- 83 Via del Mare 39-06-9107021 <BR>Ergife Palace Hotel-Via Aurelia 617/619 <BR>39-06-66440 <BR>Golden Tulip Ambasciatori Palace- Via Vittotio Veneto 62 39-06- <BR>Grand Hotel Plaza- Via Del Corso 126 <BR>39-06- <BR>Grand Hotel Ritz- Via Domenico Chelini 41 39-06- <BR>Holiday Inn Eur Parco Dei Medici- Viale Castello Della Magliana 65 39-06- <BR>Hotel Artemide- Via Nazionale 32 <BR>39-06- <BR>Hotel Caprice- Via Liguria 38 39-06-4882188 <BR>Hotel Contilia- Via Principe Amedeo <BR>39-06-4466942 <BR>Hotel Genova- Via Cavour 33 39-06-476951 <BR>Hotel Laurentia- 63 Largo degli Osci <BR>Hotel Napoleon- Piazza Vittorio Emanuele 105 39-06-4467264 <BR>Hotel Palladium Palace- Via Gioberti 39-06-4466918 <BR>Hotel Poggio Regillo- 26 Via Prataporci <BR>39-06-9417800 <BR>Hotel Savoy- Via Ludovisi 15 39-06-4744141 <BR>Hotel Valadier- Via della Fontanella 15 <BR>39-06-3611998 <BR>Rome Airport Palace Hotel- Viale Dei Romagnoli 165 39-06-5692341 <BR>Satellite Palace Hotel- Viale delle Antille 49 39-06-5693941 <BR>Sheraton Roma Hotel & Conference Centre <BR>Viale del Pattinaggio 100 <BR>Starhotel Metropole- Via Principe Amedeo 39-06-4774

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Carol

We just got back from Rome. Stayed at the Exclesior. They don't have a pool but the location is better for sightseeing than either of the Sheratons or the Hilton which do have pools. If you don't mind taking a bus to the center of town and being on their schedule, I'd do either of the Sheratons. The Hilton has both outdoor adn indoor pools with hours ranging from 7am-7pm or 10am-10pm.